2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
The Sox have been offering a groupon today for patio parties for about 8 games. Reasonably priced There are zero sold so far. Considering what kind of crap people buy on groupon, that's quite a feat. There is something very bad going on with White Sox perception.

Yours is clearly not working as it says "over 450 bought, limited remaining" when I click the link. Clear your cache.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Why have you gone to so few? Perhaps we can get some insight in to the problem using you as an example.

I think 10 games is a pretty good number on June 18th. My season ticket account partner and buddy died in an accident last season. Its the main reason I gave them up. Although we were thinking of ditching them and going the stubhub route. Going to the game with your wife isn't nearly as fun, and getting someone all the time is a pain in the ass.

I've been using stubhub exclusively this year, and haven't paid season ticket face yet.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 04:21 AM)
Grade one labrum tear for Danks. Also known as a muscle strain. I hope John likes resistance band exercises, because he's going to be doing a s***load of them.

This deserves a thread dedicated to it. Not good news if the Sox were expecting him to contribute in the immediate future.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Why have you gone to so few? Perhaps we can get some insight in to the problem using you as an example.

The attendance problem isn't that difficult to figure out. It has been on a steady decline since 2005. Even them squeaking into the playoffs in 2008 didn't give it a boost because they've missed the post-season every year since.

Expectations going into this season weren't that great and I'm guessing the season ticket base is pretty low right now. Maybe around 10,000 or so.

The only thing that's going to boost attendance is consistent and sustained winning year after year. Make the playoffs 4 times in 5 years instead of 19 and you'll see a big difference. A hot streak that lasts a couple of weeks isn't going to make a difference. I don't know why everyone expects it to.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
The attendance problem isn't that difficult to figure out. It has been on a steady decline since 2005. Even them squeaking into the playoffs in 2008 didn't give it a boost because they've missed the post-season every year since.

Expectations going into this season weren't that great and I'm guessing the season ticket base is pretty low right now. Maybe around 10,000 or so.

The only thing that's going to boost attendance is consistent and sustained winning year after year. Make the playoffs 4 times in 5 years instead of 19 and you'll see a big difference. A hot streak that lasts a couple of weeks isn't going to make a difference. I don't know why everyone expects it to.

The White Sox could sell out every game if they so choose, even if their team is bad. In the end, it all comes down to price. Sox fans will pay good money to watch a historically good team play. They will not pay good money to watch a bad team or a team that might be good that they aren't sold on. The issue with attendance this year, IMO, is obviously the mass exodus of season ticket accounts, and then pricing. Its $90.45 for a bleacher seat tonight on ticketmaster. Tough to sell out with the current roster, current expectations and price. If the Sox made every ticket $1, they would sell out every game. Maybe what they charge is maxing out their income. I doubt it. I think their pricing mechanism needs a real good look. The sooner the better.

Edited by Dick Allen

Tristan H. Cockcroft ‏@SultanofStat

In his past 34 games, Adam Dunn has struck out in exactly half (60) of his at-bats (120). Yet he has a .508 slugging percentage.

Dunn is also on pace to set a record with a 37.0 K% … yet manage the 16th-most homers in history (56).

I've been using stubhub exclusively this year, and haven't paid season ticket face yet.

I think this is the problem. Not blaming you DA, because you should be trying to get tickets as cheaply as possible, but if a larger percentage of people are buying their tickets via resale, then that's a lower number of tickets getting sold by the original seller, which translates to lower numbers of tickets being sold.

Maybe season tickets need to be priced dynamically and not just individual games.

Oh, and start marketing outside the city. Put together bus trips from Rockford, Bloomington, Champaign, Lafayette, Indianapolis, and South Bend. Package includes bus trip + ticket + hot dog + coke.

The only game I'm planning on going to is July 4th. And that's only because we got "free" tickets when we signed our son up for the Sox/Bulls summer camp. I would love to go to more games, but it's so damn expensive. Then add parking, beer, and some food?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
The only game I'm planning on going to is July 4th. And that's only because we got "free" tickets when we signed our son up for the Sox/Bulls summer camp. I would love to go to more games, but it's so damn expensive. Then add parking, beer, and some food?

Same here. I'm planning on going to one game this year, and that is only because my daughter is coming home for a visit and wants to go to a game. I live 2 hours (one way) from the park and by the time I buy gas, parking, tickets, at least a small food/drink item, you're in the $200.00 range. Fortunately, I happen to be one of the weirdos who believes that the first few rows of the upper deck are the best seats in the house.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
Oh, and start marketing outside the city. Put together bus trips from Rockford, Bloomington, Champaign, Lafayette, Indianapolis, and South Bend. Package includes bus trip + ticket + hot dog + coke.

The Sox are an afterthought in the Rockford area. A lot of the major stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Kohls, etc have large displays of Cubs stuff with little to no Sox stuff at all. Sears is the only place I can ever find a decent selection of Sox stuff besides an actual sporting goods or sports collectibles store.

I've also heard about Cubs bus trips from local radios stations. I'm pretty sure that's set up by the radio stations contacting the team, not the other way around.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Same here. I'm planning on going to one game this year, and that is only because my daughter is coming home for a visit and wants to go to a game. I live 2 hours (one way) from the park and by the time I buy gas, parking, tickets, at least a small food/drink item, you're in the $200.00 range. Fortunately, I happen to be one of the weirdos who believes that the first few rows of the upper deck are the best seats in the house.

The weirdos are the ones who think the opposite! The upper deck behind home plate is my favorite spot to sit at the Cell. Perfect view, cheap, and fun.

Edited by TitoMB

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Bovada's odds to win AL Cy Young: Sabathia 3/1, Verlander 9/4, Price 5/1, Sale 11/2, Darvish 6/1, Harrison 13/2, Rodney 12/1.

Sabathia??? LOL at Fernando f***ing Rodney. (I realize he is deserving, it's just funny.)

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
The weirdos are the ones who think the opposite! The upper deck behind home plate is my favorite spot to sit at the Cell. Perfect view, cheap, and fun.

I could not possibly agree with you more Brotha!

It's been several years (I think Maggs was in right), but I could not believe what a lousy experience I had the last time I sat in the lower level. I think my company at the time bought the tickets. When I go to a game, I for some unknown reason, want to actually watch a game. We were about 10 - 12 rows from the field along the right field line, slightly behind 1st base.

People were constantly getting up and down, in and out of their seats, even during pitches. I don't know why people have such rude baseball, or any public event, behavior. I'm a very mild mannered man, and it takes a lot to get me angry; but boy was I pissed. I bet you I missed half of the game because someone was standing up to get in and out in front of me, usually right when the pitcher was starting his wind up. At that time I swore I would never sit in the lower level again and have not since.

Edited by balfanman

The last time I went to a White Sox game, I had a great time. Sat behind the home dugout a ways back. This is all despite making a wrong turn and ending up in Gary, Indiana.

I like going to minor league games as well, I frequent Memphis Redbirds games while I'm in TN and even go by the Normal Cornbelters here in Pontiac.