2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:39 AM)
That right there is the kiss of death for the Sox. The Twins and Royals will be playing minor leaguers to see what they have.

The Royals are mostly young guys, the only position player that would be different from the current roster is probably Will Myers hitting for Franceur which is probably an upgrade. Pitching wise, young guys or veterans it can't really get worse than the starters they trot out there now. The Twins just suck so much it doesn't really matter what they do with their roster at the end of the season.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
Royals sort of helped us out in 05 when they beat the Indian the last week before we swept them. Still remember Grady dropping that fly in the sun.

As did the Rays that last week of the season, they were still a perennial 95-loss team back then.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Jerry Manuel on MLB: 'Detroit is team to beat, no doubt about it. Coming down stretch you need experience in that dugout, running games'

'knowing you're not going to get out-foxed, out-managed. Not to take anything great job Robin has done. But coming down stretch ...

' That experience and that steady guy (Leyland) means a lot.'

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)

Jerry Manuel on MLB: 'Detroit is team to beat, no doubt about it. Coming down stretch you need experience in that dugout, running games'

'knowing you're not going to get out-foxed, out-managed. Not to take anything great job Robin has done. But coming down stretch ...

Meh, I get his point, but it's not like Robin is a gimmicky type manager, his poise has been outstanding this season and I am not worried at all about the pressure getting to him down the stretch.

Of course he'll make mistakes, but every manager, yes including steady Leyland, will make mistakes.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Meh, I get his point, but it's not like Robin is a gimmicky type manager, his poise has been outstanding this season and I am not worried at all about the pressure getting to him down the stretch.

Of course he'll make mistakes, but every manager, yes including steady Leyland, will make mistakes.

Especially fun coming from Jerry Manuel

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:43 AM)

If anyone knows how it feels to be out foxed, Jerry... (p.s. Gardy still misses you!)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)

saw this last night, and then spent an hour trying to find a way to directly tell jerry he is a f'n idiot in the interweb blogosphere. who decided to put this guy on tv? what a jagoff

"The White Sox have a good ballclub, and to add a pitcher of his caliber (Greinke) will make a rotation better and bring a lot of confidence to a team," Tigers catcher Gerald Laird said Thursday. "He would make our division a lot tougher.

"But I really liked the moves we made, and I still think we're the best team in our division. We've got five quality starters, and that's where it starts -- on the mound. We've gotten a lot better defensively, with the addition of Infante and with (Quintin) Berry in the outfield. Up the middle we're really strong defensively, and now guys have started to swing the bat.

"And the 3-4 punch we have (Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder) is the best in the league."

www.freep.com/sports (Lowe)

Maybe we really will have a repeat of 1908, when those three teams went to the wire for the AL pennant before the Tigers won it.

Verlander said that by the second batter of the game, he could detect the Indians' strategy: swing at first-pitch fastballs.

"A lot of teams have done that off me, and I feel like that plays into my hands more than it does theirs," he said. "It doesn't really matter (as long as) I hit my spots."

In the seventh, he didn't.

"I threw both pitches to homer-happy areas to lead off the inning, and they hit them," he said.

Verlander had allowed three hits leading up to the seventh -- Shin-Soo Choo's double off the centerfield fence to open the first and a pair of bloopers.

"I didn't really feel great," Verlander said. "I never got in a groove. But I was able to battle. A lot of balls were hit at guys."

He considered it one of those handful of games all season where he doesn't have his good stuff.

Edited by caulfield12

Home > Texas Rangers Blog Rangers vs. White Sox, 7:05 p.m.: Why Yu Darvish could be in for a big night 0 0

comments (1) By SportsDayDFW sports

[email protected]

11:37 pm on July 26, 2012 | PermalinkRangers starter: RHP Yu Darvish (11-6, 3.88) allowed two runs in seven innings during a win at the Los Angeles Angels on Saturday. This will be Darvish’s first start against the White Sox. Darvish is 7-1 with a 1.70 ERA when facing a club for the first time. In Darvish’s last eight starts, he has held right-handed hitters to a .136 average in 81 at-bats.

Matchup of note: A walk is likely when designated hitter Adam Dunn faces Darvish. Dunn has taken an American League-high 75 walks. Darvish has given up 11 walks in his last 151/3 innings and is third in the league for walks allowed with 61.

Chicago White Sox starter: LHP Chris Sale (11-3, 2.37) had a personal eight-game winning streak end Saturday when he gave up five runs in seven innings during a loss at Detroit. Sale has three “out” pitches: fastball, slider and change-up. He ranks second in the AL for ERA and third in opponents batting average at .211.

Matchup of note: Sale allowed one run in 71/3 innings during a win against the Rangers on July 3, but Josh Hamilton reached base twice in three plate appearances against him. That was noteworthy because Sale has held left-handed hitters to a .205 average and .248 on-base percentage

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:18 AM)
Home > Texas Rangers Blog Rangers vs. White Sox, 7:05 p.m.: Why Yu Darvish could be in for a big night 0 0

comments (1) By SportsDayDFW sports

[email protected]

11:37 pm on July 26, 2012 | PermalinkRangers starter: RHP Yu Darvish (11-6, 3.88) allowed two runs in seven innings during a win at the Los Angeles Angels on Saturday. This will be Darvish’s first start against the White Sox. Darvish is 7-1 with a 1.70 ERA when facing a club for the first time. In Darvish’s last eight starts, he has held right-handed hitters to a .136 average in 81 at-bats.

Matchup of note: A walk is likely when designated hitter Adam Dunn faces Darvish. Dunn has taken an American League-high 75 walks. Darvish has given up 11 walks in his last 151/3 innings and is third in the league for walks allowed with 61.

Chicago White Sox starter: LHP Chris Sale (11-3, 2.37) had a personal eight-game winning streak end Saturday when he gave up five runs in seven innings during a loss at Detroit. Sale has three “out” pitches: fastball, slider and change-up. He ranks second in the AL for ERA and third in opponents batting average at .211.

Matchup of note: Sale allowed one run in 71/3 innings during a win against the Rangers on July 3, but Josh Hamilton reached base twice in three plate appearances against him. That was noteworthy because Sale has held left-handed hitters to a .205 average and .248 on-base percentage

Every stat that was rolled out here by SportsdayDFW was disproven last night, lol

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Its relatively new but I am already tired of Hawk's "It's All Good!" line.

Sit back, relax, and strap it down because it isn't going anywhere anytime soon

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Any update on DeAza is he in the line up today?

Last night they said it was a sprained wrist and that he would miss at least one start, but it wasn't serious. Judging from that, I'd assume he is out today, and 50/50 to come back tomorrow.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Its relatively new but I am already tired of Hawk's "It's All Good!" line.

It was good the first couple times he said it. It really fit the moment. But I'm sick of it by now.....do we now have to hear that crap after every home run? It makes me cringe and curse like whenever I hear the "don't stop now boys" bs. Anytime I could hear the other teams announcers is becoming a blessing. I used to love Hawk too, he needs to go away