2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Aza is simply in a funk. He looks fine physically.

.171/.267/.263/.531 in his last 86 PAs

He's also 3 for his last 25 with 3 walks and 1 double, which is good for a .374 OPS.

This is simply getting the hotter bat in the lineup. Wise has looked pretty good recently.

link

Chicago White Sox

Alejandro de Aza, who became Chicago's full-time leadoff hitter this year, has a solid .340 OBP, has stolen 24 bases and has a chance at history: He has a chance to go an entire season without grounding into a double play. The stat has been tracked in both leagues since 1939, and only four players have qualified for a batting title in a full season with 0 GIDPs: the Astros' Craig Biggio in 1997, the Brewers' Rob Deer in 1990, the Tigers' Dick McAuliffe in 1968 and the Dodgers' Pete Reiser in 1942.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
Rob Deer hit .209 that season, which makes his inclusion on that list even more impressive.

he was truly all or nothing

I mostly remember Rob Deer for looking badass with the top couple buttons always buttoned down

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Sox@Royals probables: Floyd v Hochevar Tuesday, Sale v Mendoza Wednesday, TBA (Liriano?) v Chen Thursday. Peavy to face Angels Fri.

Well at least we didn't get Guthrie, but my gosh, how many times are we gonna face Mendoza and Chen?

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Leading active player in games played without reaching playoffs? Adam Dunn at 1,706. Alex Rios at 1,285. Both could soon be in postseason

I was about ready to say that every team Adam Dunn has ever played for might be winning their respective divisions this year, but then I remembered he had a brief trip to Arizona.

I often post on a baseball recruiting website and was speaking to a scout there. There was a discussion about social media and its effect on recruiting and he mentioned that the White Sox had fully infiltrated Courtney Hawkins' twitter, facebook, etc. and even went so far as to send people to check out the meanings of various postings. Very interesting depth of scouting, IMO

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
I often post on a baseball recruiting website and was speaking to a scout there. There was a discussion about social media and its effect on recruiting and he mentioned that the White Sox had fully infiltrated Courtney Hawkins' twitter, facebook, etc. and even went so far as to send people to check out the meanings of various postings. Very interesting depth of scouting, IMO

Interesting. Is it an open site? I'd be curious to read that stuff.

The path through Kansas City won't get any easier for the Sox. Because Luis Mendoza suffered a bout of strep throat, Sox nemesis Bruce Chen was moved up and now will pitch Wednesday night against Chris Sale. Jeremy Guthrie, who hasn't allowed an earned run against the Sox in 232/3 innings, was moved up and will start Thursday night against left-hander Francisco Liriano.

Ventura said catcher Tyler Flowers probably would start Wednesday, and that he was leaning toward giving Rios a rest Thursday.

So much for the theory that the Royals were deliberately setting up with a match-up with Guthrie because they hate the White Sox and want them to lose.

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals' pitching plans for the rest of the week were scrambled on Tuesday when right-hander Luis Mendoza came down with a throat ailment.

Mendoza was scratched from his scheduled start on Wednesday night against the White Sox. The Royals didn't play on Monday so left-hander Bruce Chen can move up a day and take Mendoza's spot, with right-hander Jeremy Guthrie opposing Chicago on Thursday night.

"[Mendoza] came in today and was feeling horrible," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "His throat was all infected. We think it's strep throat. We sent him to the doctor."

The rotation for the weekend series against Cleveland at Kauffman Stadium remained uncertain, pending Mendoza's health and ability to pitch.

Mendoza, left-hander Will Smith and just-arrived Jake Odorizzi are in the mix. It's possible that Odorizzi, promoted from Triple-A Omaha, will make his Major League debut on Saturday night or Sunday against the Indians.

It all depends on Mendoza's availability.

"We may just skip his whole turn, I don't know. We've got to wait and see," Yost said.

Mendoza's illness will prevent him from going head to head against White Sox ace Chris Sale for the fourth time this season. Sale topped Mendoza twice on July 15 and Aug. 6, with Mendoza beating Sale on Aug. 17.

It sets up a Sale-Chen rematch of Sept. 8 in Chicago. Sale beat Chen in that game.

www.kcroyals.com

Edited by caulfield12