2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
@lonestarball: 2010 1st rounder Chris Sale has a career bWAR of 6.7. That's higher than every other player taken in the 2010 draft, combined.

But the Sox minor league system is garbage!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Does anyone think the Sox-Cubs series a week from today will sell out? I'm predicting 33K for each game, and I think that's being generous.

The Cubs are awful and there will be a huge lack of interest for Cubs fans to go. I wish they would have made it a weekend series, as it would probably sell out then.

554651_10151213239088298_276551785_n.jpg

Former White Sox great Dick Allen met with the media today as the Chicago Baseball Museum began its tribute to the seven-time All-Star and the 1972 White Sox Team. The White Sox will honor Dick Allen at the June 24th game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

CBSSports is running a poll: "Who would you give the AL Cy Young award to at this point in the season?"

Justin Verlander

27%

Chris Sale

50%

Jered Weaver

23%

Total Votes: 5,866

The people have spoken.. Chris Sale is pretty f***ing good.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:08 AM)
The Cubs are awful and there will be a huge lack of interest for Cubs fans to go. I wish they would have made it a weekend series, as it would probably sell out then.

The other side of that is that we'd probably only draw 20-22,000 for any weekday series, unless it's the Red Sox (even that didn't draw well earlier this season), Yankees, select interleague teams like the Cardinals, etc.

It's not like our weekend series have done all that well, with a few exceptions, we've struggled to get in the 25-30,000 range more than 2-3 times this season.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)

What's interesting is ticketmaster doesn't show the individual seats available for that series like they do for all the other games. The crowds will be bigger than normal, but I would be shocked at sellouts unless Brooks decides the Sox Save of the Week is the Cubs series.

BEST MLB ROAD RECORDS

CHW 18-9

Baltimore 18-12

Washington 19-13

Atlanta 20-14

Los Angeles Dodgers 18-13

The Sox announced the signing of eight of their top 11 draft picks. Second-round pick Chris Beck received a $600,000 bonus. ... Pitcher Thomas Royse, who missed all of last season because of elbow surgery, will start at Advanced Rookie Great Falls. Mitch Mustain, the former Arkansas and USC quarterback, will be used as a reliever at Advanced Rookie Bristol.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Cards mgr Matheny on Chisox: 'You see a team with a lot of confidence, just the way they walk onto the field and the way they appreciate the game'

FIFH

From Phil Rogers awful column:

"The Tigers have allowed 27 unearned runs, which is the eighth-most in the majors (the Giants have that unfortunate distinction, at 34); the White Sox have allowed only 13, which is the lowest total in the majors."

Quite a turn of events.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
From Phil Rogers awful column:

"The Tigers have allowed 27 unearned runs, which is the eighth-most in the majors (the Giants have that unfortunate distinction, at 34); the White Sox have allowed only 13, which is the lowest total in the majors."

Quite a turn of events.

The Tigers defense cost them the game last night (with a little help from the umps).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
The Tigers defense cost them the game last night (with a little help from the umps).

More impressed with the latter, especially with last years million dropped pop flys.

There are also a lot of runs that don't show up as unearned that are the result of poor defense (plus runs saved based upon stellar defense). Tigers have failed to turn a ton of dp's and those failed DP's don't show up as errors.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
There are also a lot of runs that don't show up as unearned that are the result of poor defense (plus runs saved based upon stellar defense). Tigers have failed to turn a ton of dp's and those failed DP's don't show up as errors.

Tigers defense is truly horrific, and a lot of people called it. I don't understand why that obvious prediction never made it into any publications' projections. I guess it just proves that no matter how much baseball writers adopt metrics, they will never stop being enamored with offense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)

Take last night's game for the Sox. A failed DP for STL ended up in only a fielders choice, which turned into two runs later on.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Tigers defense is truly horrific, and a lot of people called it. I don't understand why that obvious prediction never made it into any publications' projections. I guess it just proves that no matter how much baseball writers adopt metrics, they will never stop being enamored with offense.

Be honest though. if the Tigers offense was producing at its potential level, people would be caring a lot less about that defense. You've got Boesch with a .637 OPS, Delmon Young at .690, Peralta at .730, Avila at .767 (down from .895 last year). The only 2 guys who have really overperformed are Austin Jackson and Andy Dirks, and Jackson missed a month with an abdominal strain.