2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
At his very core, Leyland has White Sox blood.

He's always seemed more at home in "blue collar" cities like Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago.

Denver was a bad fit for him.

The one anomaly in my theory is Miami...but that 1997 was just a super-talented of players who he managed to build into a team before it was quickly deconstructed by Huizenga.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Can Flowers play 1B? If so, I like the idea of using him late in games that Dunn is playing first. Could stun an opposing manager who brings in LHP to face Dunn

He played a decent amount of 1B in the lower minors. He has played a very little bit in recent years.

Can Flowers play 1B? If so, I like the idea of using him late in games that Dunn is playing first. Could stun an opposing manager who brings in LHP to face Dunn

Lillibridge can play 1B, so there's your righty PH for Dunn if you decide to go that route.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)

The Sox are not apt to pinch hit for Dunn regardless of the match up. If they did they may as well say they are going to platoon him

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
The Sox are not apt to pinch hit for Dunn regardless of the match up. If they did they may as well say they are going to platoon him

That very situation came up with Lillibridge last year when Brent was as hot as any hitter in the AL but Ozzie still went with Dunn, to the consternation of 95% of SoxTalk.

I think Greg and Rongey were the only ones still defending the decision at that point in the season.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

Your most important news of the day -- Here's an [almost] complete list of the beers you can find at White Sox home games this year. These are from the Midwest Craft Beers stand:

Bar Fly IPA

Bell's Oberon

Great Lakes Eliot Ness

Krankshaft

Leinie's Classic Amber

Leinie's Honey Weiss

Mad Hatter IPA

Molson Canadian

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Summit (couldn't see which one)

Windy City Wheat

You'll still see your old standbys -- Miller products, a smattering of Goose Island and Pilsner Urquell taps, and a brand-new Leinie Lodge on the 100 level in right field. The Blue Moon stand is back, and if you look hard enough you'll find Coors Light.

The most surprising tap spotted around the park: PBR. There's one on the lower level, and no, there wasn't a gaggle of hipsters crowded around it.

And Big Hurt Beer is on tap around the park, too. All in all, it's a pretty nice selection.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
That very situation came up with Lillibridge last year when Brent was as hot as any hitter in the AL but Ozzie still went with Dunn, to the consternation of 95% of SoxTalk.

I think Greg and Rongey were the only ones still defending the decision at that point in the season.

all decisions are open for counter-opinions. :D

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 07:54 PM)
The funny part is that if it were up to the majority of Soxtalk, Lillibridge would have been cut before last season ever happened.

I think your are right about that. A lot of people that he would not produce. I was not amongst that group.

Hey I know we have a minor league subforum but I thought some of you guys would appreciate this info since you probably don't frequent mentioned subforum too much:

CF Jared Mitchell on fire at AA Birmingham. 7-for-11 with 2 2B, 1 3B, 2 SB and 5 BB in last 4 games. Overall average up to .343

Scot Gregor via twitter.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
Hey I know we have a minor league subforum but I thought some of you guys would appreciate this info since you probably don't frequent mentioned subforum too much:

CF Jared Mitchell on fire at AA Birmingham. 7-for-11 with 2 2B, 1 3B, 2 SB and 5 BB in last 4 games. Overall average up to .343

Scot Gregor via twitter.

If he keeps this up, he could be in Charlotte by June.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
Pennants aren't won in April, but they're lost in April.

See 5-19 streak last April/May.

From TRIB...

"It’s not the easiest job. But you know, the way I look at it is how he bounces back. I have confidence in taking him right back out there and letting him do it (Tuesday) night."

This was Santiago's first blown save in four chances. But he has a 6.75 ERA in four appearances.

"I wasn’t expecting Hector to be perfect, but he battled," Ventura said. "That’s one of those that’s a tough loss, but we’ll bounce back. It’s one of those I think that you go through a season, you are going to have them every once in a while. You want to turn it around (Tuesday night).

I still can't believe we were outdrawn by the Royals (14,039 to 13,732) last night. Maybe it's simply the fact they were playing the Tigers and Verlander was pitching, but they had just been absolutely obliterated this past weekend by the Indians. At least we had been playing pretty well. I guess it's the same old "so-so weather/April/kids not out of school/weeknight/games last too long/expensive tickets, parking and concessions/Sox fans don't believe in their team unless they're winning" thing.

On the bright side, after 4 games, we're still ahead of:

CINCY

SD

OAK

KC

HOU

CLE

Right about where we were expected to perform, 24th/25th in the majors.

Edited by caulfield12

Winning tonight and at a minimum splitting the series will do a lot to calm the nerves of SoxTalk nation. I watched last night's game (as much as I could stomach), and turned it off thinking " here we go again". The one spot that has been doing a consistently good job (the bullpen) imploded, and it just reminded me of the multitude of late inning losses from last year. I'm still hopeful, and I still have faith, but losing this series to Baltimore is going to make me (and many others I'm sure) think it's 2011 all over again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)
I still can't believe we were outdrawn by the Royals (14,039 to 13,732) last night. Maybe it's simply the fact they were playing the Tigers and Verlander was pitching, but they had just been absolutely obliterated this past weekend by the Indians. At least we had been playing pretty well. I guess it's the same old "so-so weather/April/kids not out of school/weeknight/games last too long/expensive tickets, parking and concessions/Sox fans don't believe in their team unless they're winning" thing.

I can't believe people think KW can/should survive a bad year to lead a rebuilding with the attendance numbers that likely will be that soft all year.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I think your are right about that. A lot of people that he would not produce. I was not amongst that group.

oh yeah? wow... you're really smart. you somehow knew a kid with a terrible major league track record would suddenly become useful. why aren't YOU running this team?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
Well the loss last night sucked, but it will be interesting to see how this team bounces back, to see what the mental make up of this group is. Ozzie would have had a hissyfit last night about something.

Maybe 5 years ago. Last year's Ozzie would have done nothing.