2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
And when he did, Cody f***ing Ross killed him. It isn't like Addison gave up a sacrifice fly to tie or lose the game. He gave up a bomb of a homer.

And Ross was something like 3 for 28 against RHP before that at-bat last night against Reed.

Valentine had 3-4 lefties he could have gone to.

So, overall, Valentine made the bad decision to face Youkilis instead of Dunn, Ventura struggled with the bullpen twice...so Valentine overall won that match-up, largely because of last night.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
All of the decision making looks bad right now because everyone out of the pen has been awful for about a week now. I know everyone is on Thornton, but he isn't the one that gave up the 12th 600 ft 3 run homer to Cody Ross either. Thornton struggled. Septimo got his ass kicked and couldn't find the strike zone against Boston last time around. Santiago gave up multiple runs against Boston in this series too. You could say Quintana, but then again I remember a lot of people complaining about Sale throwing too many pitches... Q's career high in innings is almost identical to Sale's numbers from college.

There aren't a lot of choices when all of your choices are pitching like Will Ohman.

For the most pasrt I am going to agree with you here. The relief corps is struggling and games like this magnify our situation. We have a bullpen full of rookies. I always question managers taking pitchers out after 7 or 8 strong and in some cases dominating innings and going to the pen. Thornton has struggled giving up at least 5 hits in the last inning and third or so he has worked. He gave up two hits to lefthanded batters. When he gave up that first hit I thought to myself here we go again. Nightmares of Billy Koch and Bobby Jenks, et al.

It's over. Maybe we go forward with a more experienced relief pitcher coming here via trade, but there isn't a lot of options out there and I don't want to start tearing apart the farm system again and over pay. Crain coming back may help. Whatever we do we move on as there is nothing else to do. I hope the offense is ready to produce in Detroit. I hope the starters do their job and the bullpen steps up. We face Verlander tonight but all we have to do is score one more run then they do. Let's do it!

Edited by elrockinMT

I really don't think blaming Reed is fair. He came into a situation that was already compromised, Robin coulda brought out anyone and we were still losing the game at that point.

Beautiful thing about baseball is we get a chance to redeem ourselves in a big way this weekend.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
I really don't think blaming Reed is fair. He came into a situation that was already compromised, Robin coulda brought out anyone and we were still losing the game at that point.

I completely disagree. Red Sox still needed a hit in that situation to tie the game. Reed's big issue continues to be that outside of a change-up he never throws to righties, he has no pitch to change the eye level of the hitter. Everything things to be around the belt. Earlier in the year, I felt like he was utilizing the high fastball more effectively.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I completely disagree. Red Sox still needed a hit in that situation to tie the game. Reed's big issue continues to be that outside of a change-up he never throws to righties, he has no pitch to change the eye level of the hitter. Everything things to be around the belt. Earlier in the year, I felt like he was utilizing the high fastball more effectively.

Your point is well taken fathom, and since thats the case, maybe A.J. is to blame? He is the one calling the pitches afterall. I dont care to look back at whether Reed missed his spot or not on that pitch (too depressing) but that ball was RIGHT in Ross' wheelhouse. Seems like Thornton is rubbing off on Addison in "throw it as hard as you can everytime, consequences be damned."

Taking Q out was definitely the right move. He'd been skating on thin ice for a couple innings and he just isn't used to that many pitches. The mistake was who they brought in.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Your point is well taken fathom, and since thats the case, maybe A.J. is to blame? He is the one calling the pitches afterall. I dont care to look back at whether Reed missed his spot or not on that pitch (too depressing) but that ball was RIGHT in Ross' wheelhouse. Seems like Thornton is rubbing off on Addison in "throw it as hard as you can everytime, consequences be damned."

AJ does NOT call pitches for the vast majority of our pitchers this year. It's Mark Parent. This, IMO, has led to some abhorrent pitch calling this season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Inexperienced pitchers in the bullpen that throw 90%+ fastballs=15 blown saves

The end.

short and sweet for sure, but more true than not. Organizations fal in love with the heat

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
short and sweet for sure, but more true than not. Organizations fal in love with the heat

Thornton as closer = fail.

McDougal clones = fail.

Pissing on an electric fence = learned lesson 1st time.

Despite the kids and Youk doing good, Kenny is still the weakest link.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)

McDougal clones = fail.

Because they have had two closers fail over the last six years? If that is the case, there are some incredibly stupid GMs out there.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)

McDougal clones = fail.

You can't always just buy a closer and expect immediate success. The main guy out there in the off season was Heath Bell. How's he doing these days?

KW's crystal ball should have told him the Broxton was bouncing back from a miserable 2011. Too bad it was in the shop.

Who's left? Thirty seven-year old type B free agent Francisco Cordero? Thirty seven-year old $14.5 mil Joe Nathan? Thirty eight-year old type B free agent Octavio Dotel? Been there.

$12 million Frank Francisco? $8.5 mil Ryan Madson who's now hurt?

Type A free agent Jonathan Papelbon who accepted $50 million?

What magic do you want? Who was out there that's now doing well that fit in the budget? Buehrle couldn't even come back, you expected them to throw 15 mil at a reliever?

How is Sergio Santos doing these days? Better than Reed?

Look at the Sox this year. Santiago, Thornton, Sale and Reed already have struggled.

Jones would surely get pounded right now. Crain? Or CrainWreck? We know he doesn't do well against the Tiggers consistently.

Really at a loss....maybe Omogrosso, but he can't throw an offspeed pitch either. He'll get it about 15-20% of the time to work, but that's it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Look at the Sox this year. Santiago, Thornton, Sale and Reed already have struggled.

Jones would surely get pounded right now. Crain? Or CrainWreck? We know he doesn't do well against the Tiggers consistently.

Really at a loss....maybe Omogrosso, but he can't throw an offspeed pitch either. He'll get it about 15-20% of the time to work, but that's it.

Crain's replacing Omogrosso today.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
This is just for me to look back at...

The Sox need to be at 73-57 with a 2 game lead on Detroit going into the final 32 on August 31.

This still stands. Go 23-13 the next 36, and we're all good.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
You can't always just buy a closer and expect immediate success. The main guy out there in the off season was Heath Bell. How's he doing these days?

KW's crystal ball should have told him the Broxton was bouncing back from a miserable 2011. Too bad it was in the shop.

Who's left? Thirty seven-year old type B free agent Francisco Cordero? Thirty seven-year old $14.5 mil Joe Nathan? Thirty eight-year old type B free agent Octavio Dotel? Been there.

$12 million Frank Francisco? $8.5 mil Ryan Madson who's now hurt?

Type A free agent Jonathan Papelbon who accepted $50 million?

What magic do you want? Who was out there that's now doing well that fit in the budget? Buehrle couldn't even come back, you expected them to throw 15 mil at a reliever?

How is Sergio Santos doing these days? Better than Reed?

The way some have talked around here in the past, they act like it was the easiest position to fill.

My point is Thorton can't close, never will. He's got one pitch. That's not a closer. How many chances do you take on that when even the casual fan knows that?

Bingo. We gotta hope our guys can snap outta their slumps. Trading anymore prospects would be short sighted at best.

Most (all?) of our guys have yet to come back from the break it seems.

Edited by northside sawx