2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

MINNEAPOLIS -- After the White Sox's 7-6 loss to the Twins on Monday night, it was difficult to find anyone who was concerned the team's recent fielding woes would turn into an epidemic. And the numbers suggest no reason for alarm; the White Sox entered Monday's game having committed just 44 errors this season -- the second-fewest in baseball.

[+] Enlarge

Jesse Johnson/US Presswire

Alexei Ramirez committed one of the White Sox's three errors on Monday. But there's also no denying that despite a solid defense, lineup and pitching staff, the White Sox are only 55-47, a game and a half better than the Tigers in the American League Central. And for the second time in as many days, errors played a key part in a White Sox loss.

Chicago made three fielding gaffes on Monday night, spotting the Twins three unearned runs. The final mistake of the night -- A.J. Pierzynski's wild throw to first on Brian Dozier's sacrifice bunt in the ninth inning -- moved Alexi Casilla to third, putting him in position to score the winning run on Jamey Carroll's game-ending sacrifice fly. And those mistakes came after Alexei Ramirez's fielding error led to an unearned run for the Rangers in their 2-0 win over Chicago on Sunday.

"That's just something we've got to clean up," manager Robin Ventura said. "The big ones are the unearned (runs). You just give them something they really shouldn't have."

The White Sox also got an unearned run in the fourth inning after Dozier's throwing error put Ramirez on base, but they lost the game in part because of some stellar defense; Denard Span leapt at the center field wall in the fifth inning, taking a home run away from Alex Rios.

In the end, there were more than a few defensive plays that directly influenced the final score. Had the White Sox won on Sunday and Monday, they'd be 2 1/2 games in front of the Tigers, and they'd have a little better positioning in the tight American League wild-card race, should they need it. Instead, they were talking about stamping out something that they wouldn't have expected to be a concern."We know that the teams in the division are coming after us," Pierzynski said. "Minnesota's trying to keep their season alive, and whenever we play Cleveland, Kansas City and Detroit, they're obviously gunning for us. We just have to play well. We've been playing really well. Tonight was hopefully just a blip on the radar. We made some mistakes. The one in the ninth inning was the big one that I made. But things happen."

Wouldn't we be 3 1/2 games up then, at 12 over, the Tigers 5 over? HMMMMMMMMM.

Guess the Twins are leading the AL in runs scored for July.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox were listed as Trade Deadline Winners

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/winners--lose...Y3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

6. Chicago White Sox are happy beneficiaries. They're also distinct WINNERS, among the game's biggest. They snagged Youkilis, Francisco Liriano and Brett Myers for next to nothing. No impact talent. Hell, the Red Sox paid Chicago $5.5 million of the near $8 million remaining on Youkilis' deal. The White Sox find themselves in first place and have a much better chance of staying there with those three than they would have otherwise.

Whenever I open a thread, I see tons of names of people that are in the thread online who never post. ... How can anybody read posts and not get the urge to post? You would think everybody who reads posts would want to vent their own opinions in the age of Twitter.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Since the Boston series where he was the star, Youk is 4 for 37.

Still 8 walks in that timeframe though, two shy of Alexei's walk total for the year :D

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Whenever I open a thread, I see tons of names of people that are in the thread online who never post. ... How can anybody read posts and not get the urge to post? You would think everybody who reads posts would want to vent their own opinions in the age of Twitter.

I read a lot of threads without posting. I don't feel 'the urge to post' just for the sake of posting. If I have something to say that no one else has already said, I'll post it. I try to make quality posts and am not at all concerned with quantity.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:00 AM)
Ya I'm probably not much of a quality posters, usually thrive on game threads and try to break news, but that southsider2k5 always beats me to everything :(

He's good at that stuff. What can you do?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
He's good at that stuff. What can you do?

he mainlines twitter now. It is really sad. At first Jason tried to get him help, but he refused and said there was nothing wrong with him, he just did it for fun now and again. But now it is getting to the point where the admin and mod group are arranging an intervention. We are hoping to ween him off of twitter by giving him mild doses of myspage 3 times a day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:56 AM)
he mainlines twitter now. It is really sad. At first Jason tried to get him help, but he refused and said there was nothing wrong with him, he just did it for fun now and again. But now it is getting to the point where the admin and mod group are arranging an intervention. We are hoping to ween him off of twitter by giving him mild doses of myspage 3 times a day.

THERE IS NOTHIGN WRONG WITH ME YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)

I personally got tired of my optimism constantly being shut down when I saw a good ball club. Now that everyone sees more of what I saw everything I wanna say has already been said. I can't not read these boards though, they supply this jobless fellow hours of entertainment.

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670

From a trusted source: Brett Myers vesting option based on games finished will have zero impact on any decisions about his usage.

If Cooptura want Myers to close, he will. Not saying that's imminent, & I'm in no way recommending it; but 10M option year is not an issue.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670

From a trusted source: Brett Myers vesting option based on games finished will have zero impact on any decisions about his usage.

If Cooptura want Myers to close, he will. Not saying that's imminent, & I'm in no way recommending it; but 10M option year is not an issue.

Can somebody remind me the number of games finished in his clause? Looks like he has 30 so far.

White Sox released INF Dallas McPherson.

McPherson was batting .253/.335/.463 with 12 home runs and 47 RBI in 61 games at Triple-A Charlotte. The 32-year-old will try to latch on with a new organization.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
White Sox released INF Dallas McPherson.

McPherson was batting .253/.335/.463 with 12 home runs and 47 RBI in 61 games at Triple-A Charlotte. The 32-year-old will try to latch on with a new organization.

Per Rotoworld

He is 32 already? Wow.