2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way to ascertain if a team is choking, or if they are simply in a valley since their talent is flat out not special.

The game is all peaks and valleys. We were on some serious peaks early in the year. But when you have lineup holes and an aging best player, there will be a reckoning at some point.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
There's no way to ascertain if a team is choking, or if they are simply in a valley since their talent is flat out not special.

The game is all peaks and valleys. We were on some serious peaks early in the year. But when you have lineup holes and an aging best player, there will be a reckoning at some point.

At 100% confidence, no. For a certain level of confidence, yes.

Honestly, I don't think either one of your options are correct.

What we know: Paul Konerko, Adam Dunn, Alejandro De Aza, and Kevin Youkilis have injuries that are bothering them right now. Jake Peavy is almost 100 IP over anything he has thrown since 2007. Chris Sale and Jose Quintana are about 100 IP over anything that they have ever thrown in their professional careers. Jesse Crain has battled the same injury all season long, and judging by how little he has been used, might still be doing so. Nate Jones and Addison Reed are pitching the longest seasons of their professional careers. Even though the innings have been higher in the past, the appearances and the stress of those appearances is a different type of fatigue for pitchers. That is without even going into all of the rookies in the pen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Free agent

Some fan base is gonna be all excited adding him this winter as we were when we got him. Then reality will set in when he actually takes the mound. Guy is a 4-inning wonder.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
to be fair, if i remember right-- i only favored Wise because he was a veteran. my stance was --they're both bad. And next year I'll go back to hoping we rely on neither for anything.

I only favored Danks because 1. He hadn't been doing too bad up to that point and I'm not even thinking of the f***ing homerun which is what everyone thought; 2. he had languished in the organization a long time and was getting his shot only to be replaced suddenly by a journeyman guy who was all of a sudden back in the organization. 3. Like you said neither is that good. The book was still out on Danks. Wise, we knew. That said, I was happy as hell to have "been wrong". Wise was unreal for awhile. Who the heck would have ever imagined DeWayne Wise would have been carrying the team for any stretch of time? That was crazy and awesome.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Division leaders home records:

NY 48-30

Det 50-31

Tex 49-29

Was 48-30

Cin 50-31

SF 48-33

The best teams dominate at home.

Sox are at 44-34.

Division leaders road records:

NY 42-36

Det 34-41

Tex 43-35

Was 47-31

Cin 44-31

SF 43-32

The best teams win everywhere

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Division leaders road records:

NY 42-36

Det 34-41

Tex 43-35

Was 47-31

Cin 44-31

SF 43-32

The best teams win everywhere

Unless you're the Tigers. Rangers and Yankees were good enough on the road, but dominated in their parks.

The NL is top-heavy. So many crappy teams.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Unless you're the Tigers. Rangers and Yankees were good enough on the road, but dominated in their parks.

The NL is top-heavy. So many crappy teams.

That shows why the Tigers aren't on the same level as the other division winners. They are a so-so team that plays in an awful division.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
How much money is David Wright probably gonna get?? Would the savings from Peavy and Youk give them the $$$??

If i'm not mistaken, didn't the Red Sox pay most of Youk's salary? So not much is coming off the books there.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the $$$ as I would the years... Would the Sox be willing to sign him to the length of contract he'd want? They don't seem to like those long contracts.

It sure would be nice though.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
How much money is David Wright probably gonna get?? Would the savings from Peavy and Youk give them the $$??

The Mets have a $16M team option or $1M buy out. I guess we are all assuming Mets will not pick up the option.