White Sox @ Texas Rangers April 6 OPENING DAY GAME THREAD

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
This would be a great spot to use Fukudome

This. That is the only thing in this game that I think Ozzie would have done to affect the game. But his lineup might have been something crazy anyways with AJ hitting 3rd or something stupid. Not to bring his name up.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
I'll always wonder how Alex Rios became such a below average to marginal baseball player.

To me, the league realized he has no plate coverage and knows he can't do anything with a pitch on the outer half. Teams should never, ever throw a pitch on the inner half to him, as that's his only chance to be dangerous at the plate. Hawk kept talking during ST about how good he looked, but whenever I saw him bat, he was hitting pop ups off the end of the bat.

What's that now, 0 for 7 with RISP?

Morel is having an all-time horrible game.

At least Beckham had cheap hit to RF, even though he was overmatched most of the game and perhaps had the worst AB of the game when he had an early chance to get Viciedo to 3B with one out.

And Alex Rios still sucks.

Reed looked great at least.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
To me, the league realized he has no plate coverage and knows he can't do anything with a pitch on the outer half. Teams should never, ever throw a pitch on the inner half to him, as that's his only chance to be dangerous at the plate. Hawk kept talking during ST about how good he looked, but whenever I saw him bat, he was hitting pop ups off the end of the bat.

DJ said the same thing, and yet the guy had an OPS around 600 in spring training.

I guess the "institutional" story is that he's taking a different approach and going up the middle more often, working hard with Manto, blah blah blah, but he still hits more weak fly balls to RF than Frank Thomas and Joe Crede combined.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
DJ said the same thing, and yet the guy had an OPS around 600 in spring training.

I guess the "institutional" story is that he's taking a different approach and going up the middle more often, but he still hits more weak fly balls to RF than Frank Thomas and Joe Crede combined.

Problem with that is Rios doesn't have enough power to hit the ball effectively to right field. Unless he stands as close to the plate as possible, I can't see anyway he can hit the ball consistently hard.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
For all the b****ing and complaining and whining, we're down 1 run to the best team from the AL last year. It's not THAT bad.

thank you.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd say Mike Winters #1, Brent Morel #2

Rios might be a close 3rd.

So not only the four K's, but the ball that ate him up allowing the 3rd run to score, another error this inning...and striking out with Viciedo on 3rd, although that's more on Beckham and DeAza for watching 5 strikes fly by without even swinging once.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Problem with that is Rios doesn't have enough power to hit the ball effectively to right field. Unless he stands as close to the plate as possible, I can't see anyway he can hit the ball consistently hard.

I always thought that too about him . He wants to go to right more but makes weak contact going that way because its always off the end of his bat.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
For all the b****ing and complaining and whining, we're down 1 run to the best team from the AL last year. It's not THAT bad.

Definitely not. And to add to that it might not look like in the stats with all the K's, but I like the more patient approach to the plate. It might take some time to get used to a completely different approach of just swinging from your heels every AB and Winters has been terrible to boot.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)

Yup. After watching this game, I still think this team will be over .500. Not far enough over .500 to make the playoffs though, but over 81 wins.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
thank you.

It's more the lack of execution, those dreaded little things, that's frustrating.

If they were just getting beaten, that would be one thing.

Not getting Viciedo over to 3rd, not hitting with RISP, DeAza getting thrown out stealing with Dunn/Konerko coming up, Morel getting eaten up a couple of times by that super-fast infield when supposedly he's our best fielder after Ramirez.

The Rangers have played better fundamentally and they responded quickly when we tied the game.

And their bullpen is one of the better ones in the game. But we'll see about Nathan.

And moral victories this season will get old if Beckham, Rios and Morel look this bad on a consistent basis again.