White Sox @ Texas Rangers April 6 OPENING DAY GAME THREAD

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Beckham and Morel struck out seven times today. I know it is one game but not looking like a new philosophy is in place.

You expected a "new philosophy" to be extremely evident on Day One? Oii.

And I thought I was negative..

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical ending against Joe Nathan.

Thanks Gordon and Brent for not giving us much confidence (again) that you'll ever be major league regulars because of your hitting woes.

Well, on the bright side, maybe Adam Dunn can be productive again, and Lillibridge can cover for one of Rios/Morel/Beckham, but that just leaves this season as a developmental one.

Hopefully, at least one of Beckham/Morel can have a good season offensively.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Players need to take f***ing responsibility.

hahahahaha responsibility to swing at a bad pitch? thanks but no. I'll take the loss as long as our players continue to lay off those pitches all year. gimme a break.

Wow. Tough loss here. Pitched good enough to win. Just not enough clutch hitting today.

Somehow I have a feeling that Escobar going to be our starting 3B before this season over. I know that it is only one game but that is my feeling.

Still don't know if we have a closer or going by closer by committee. Ventura should just clear that us. No point in keeping it a secret. Just say "______ is my closer" or "I am going by the situation. Closer by committee".

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Seems like people are thinking about the bad too much and not focusing on the fact that Dunn looked great today. Dunn's ceiling to help this team is infinitely greater than our 2b and 3b.

This. Definitely this.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Typical ending against Joe Nathan.

Thanks Gordon and Brent for not giving us much confidence (again) that you'll ever be major league regulars because of your hitting woes.

Well, on the bright side, maybe Adam Dunn can be productive again, and Lillibridge can cover for one of Rios/Morel/Beckham, but that just leaves this season as a developmental one.

Hopefully, at least one of Beckham/Morel can have a good season offensively.

IT IS! When did people get the idea that the Sox are actually trying to contend this year? KW doesn't make the trades that he did and then not bring in free agents to play a key role if he was trying to get this team into the 2012 postseason.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
hahahahaha responsibility to swing at a bad pitch? thanks but no. I'll take the loss as long as our players continue to lay off those pitches all year. gimme a break.

If they're already gonna blame the ump in GAME ONE, it's gonna be a long season. They left runners in scoring position more than a few times. And Kinsler owned Danks all day. That's why they lost the game.

Bullpen looks good though :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
IT IS! When did people get the idea that the Sox are actually trying to contend this year? KW doesn't make the trades that he did and then not bring in free agents to play a key role if he was trying to get this team into the 2012 postseason.

also thank you.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)

Opening Day, there's always the HOPE/FAITH that we can actually surprise when we're huge underdogs coming into a season, or flying under the radar.

But that's about it, blind fan optimism, nothing else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
Seems like people are thinking about the bad too much and not focusing on the fact that Dunn looked great today. Dunn's ceiling to help this team is infinitely greater than our 2b and 3b.

Watch his set up. He is not dropping the bat so far down before the pitcher is coming set. he is loaded up to this year which he never was last year.

In regard to the umpiring, hitters need to adjust. How was it that the other 7 guys could handle yet Morel and Beckham could not.

Overall I think it was a good game that the Sox did not catch any breaks on.

I kinda didn't like how Ventura managed this game and I have been supporting him.

Morel batting second? He never has batted second before and boy did he look uncomfortable.

Having De Aza try to steal second with Dunn up there and of course Dunn walks

Taking Danks out early in a close game kinda is a give up move. Not thinking about possibly extra inning game.

Not using a pinch hitter for Morel or Beckham or Rios

etc

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
I kinda didn't like how Ventura managed this game and I have been supporting him.

Morel batting second? He never has batted second before and boy did he look uncomfortable.

Taking Danks out early in a close game kinda is a give up move. Not thinking about possibly extra inning game.

etc

Yeah I didn't like that decision at all.

etc

If the game went extras there is a guy out there that could give you 5 innings. Guillen would have brought that guy in for one inning.

etc

Couldn't disagree more.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Is one game enough for a line-up change? Because Morel has no business at #2.

I wonder if we'll see Lillibridge batting 2nd against LHP, with Ventura finding ways to get him in the lineup? He was batting 2nd a lot vs LHP in the spring.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)

etc

Morel batted 2nd some last year.

Didn't like that either.

The rest is fine by me.

The Sox didn't play too bad today.

The Good:

Pitching...everybody. Danks-Reed-Thornton.

Adam Dunn...Welcome back?

The Bad: 13 strikeouts

The Ugly: Brent Morel

The Sox are gonna beat some teams if they play the way they did today. Obviously need to work on the strikeouts, but we scored 15 and looked invincible opening day last year...and look what happened.

I like the way they battled back to get it tied...on a HUSTLE play...by RIOS no less. I'm encouraged moreso than completely put off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Danks was real bad from the 76-90 pitch mark last year. No problem with taking him out so early in the season. It's also nice to get an inning in for two of your main bullpen guys.

Wow. Isn't Danks suppose to be our ace. Have to show confidence in him. He could have handled 8 and 9 in the order. Maybe take him out for Kinsler but at least Danks could have handled their 8-9 hitter.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
The Sox didn't play too bad today.

The Good:

Pitching...everybody. Danks-Reed-Thornton.

Adam Dunn...Welcome back?

The Bad: 13 strikeouts

The Ugly: Brent Morel

The Sox are gonna beat some teams if they play the way they did today. Obviously need to work on the strikeouts, but we scored 15 and looked invincible opening day last year...and look what happened.

I like the way they battled back to get it tied...on a HUSTLE play...by RIOS no less. I'm encouraged moreso than completely put off.