AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

SoxFan1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 07:51 PM)
2 games into the season, the theme seems like it's gonna be good starting, great bullpen, great defense (sans Morel yesterday), struggling to score runs at times/possibly all the time haha

Offenses tend to struggle a bit in April so that might be premature. That said, I don't expect the White Sox to have a great offense. But if they have good pitching and a strong bullpen, they could just make the playoffs.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. Really think I'm going to like Ventura.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
Not naming the closer was a thing of beauty as the kid was never under media pressure and for one day it worked. Also hawk said that the manager change will help this team, it looks so.

Agreed. That was genius from RV and it paid off already.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
Imagine that Cepedes guy sandwiched between him and Konerko

Sox management really blew that one.

Now he's playing to crowds of 16k in Oakland.

Why don't you wait till he has played 4 games before you say Sox management blew that one...... :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
So it's really intriguing watching a game with a new manager, as it's so hard to figure out what he's going to do. So far, Ventura definitely seems like he doesn't care about lefty/righty match-ups all that much. We've yet to see any bunt attempts as well. I disagreed with leaving Thornton in to face Napoli, but Ventura seems to be asking players to prove their ability to him and not relying on previous season stats. I said this in the game thread, but I loved how he pitched out with 2 outs and 2 strikes. It didn't work, but we'll get a handful of easy outs this year doing that.

Maybe it is the Easter morning sugar rush but RV seems to be more of a manager and less of a gut type guy whichi was the Ozzie way.

The 2 strike pitch will cause teams to not try and steal there. No harm no foul when you do that but it will get in the scouting report and be taken out of the game or teams will just concede the inning there which is fine with me.

I know it is early but there seems to be a better philosophy and teaching.

Case in point, Alexi Ramirez does not take the throw on steals two feet in front of the bag. This was a fundamental flaw that should have been corrected when Alexi was playing for international Guillen hero Castro and was correctly quickly this year.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
I'm kinda worried about Thornton, kinda having trouble finding the plate... This team needs Matt in a big way

Great win & I agree with this. If we still had Sale in the pen it would be a diff story, but Matt is gonna have to be on top of his game this season.

Gutsy by RV to keep him in to face Napoli, but he came through with the ground ball out.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE

Feels nice to sneak away with one in a super tough environment against the top or second best offense in the AL.

CLE has really come out of the gate struggling, and we've played well there in recent years, so coming back for the homer opener at 3-3 or 4-2 would be great.

Watched the game on WGN. I thought Jake did a good job battlig when he didn't have great control and then he came back to do pretty decent for his last three innings. Ventura left Thornton in to get out of the bases loaded jam and Santiago looked good. Alex Rios was the man last night!

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
So it's really intriguing watching a game with a new manager, as it's so hard to figure out what he's going to do. So far, Ventura definitely seems like he doesn't care about lefty/righty match-ups all that much. We've yet to see any bunt attempts as well. I disagreed with leaving Thornton in to face Napoli, but Ventura seems to be asking players to prove their ability to him and not relying on previous season stats. I said this in the game thread, but I loved how he pitched out with 2 outs and 2 strikes. It didn't work, but we'll get a handful of easy outs this year doing that.

Napoli was so amped up that AB, there was no way he was doing anything with that ball. I'm surprised he made contact with his out of control swing. He looked like the big crazy guy from Rookie of the Year (am I allowed to cite that movie here?).

Of course, that's through my prescription hindsight glasses. I'm not sure I would have left Thornton in to face Napoli either, but only because he looked a little erratic, not because Matt is usually a concern against righties.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:11 AM)
Imagine that Cepedes guy sandwiched between him and Konerko

Sox management really blew that one.

Now he's playing to crowds of 16k in Oakland.

We have that Viciedo guy who can be just as good...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Except for the fact that Cespedes can play a position pretty well defensively, run and has a 50+ inch vertical.

He does not have a 50+ inch vertical. And even if he did, that means nothing in baseball.