AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Heads22

Did anyone else want to see Fukudome hit for Rios after Rios made that error in right? I saw a right-handed pitcher on the mound and figured it was the perfect opportunity. Of course maybe it's a little early to react like that, but I thought maybe Ventura would send a message.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Did anyone else want to see Fukudome hit for Rios after Rios made that error in right? I saw a right-handed pitcher on the mound and figured it was the perfect opportunity. Of course maybe it's a little early to react like that, but I thought maybe Ventura would send a message.

I'm sure if he sat Rios today, he would still be him sending a message.

I thought about it, I would imagine he didn't want to embarrass the guy by yanking him at that point and setting off the media frenzy that would accompany it. Knowing Robin, Rios heard about it in the clubhouse. The look on Venturas face said it all.

Rios is an important part of this team. As much as most of you guys can't tolerate him, he's owed a lot of money over the course of the next 3 years. It's in our best interests to bring him back around to at least mediocrity somehow. By all accounts he's been working very hard to try and get his career back on track. This is not the time to send a message and make him pout for the next two months.

As much as it might suck to have to deal with a fragile ego, or whatever you want to call it, our success in large part depends on him making some key contributions to this team for the next few years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Rios is an important part of this team. As much as most of you guys can't tolerate him, he's owed a lot of money over the course of the next 3 years. It's in our best interests to bring him back around to at least mediocrity somehow. By all accounts he's been working very hard to try and get his career back on track. This is not the time to send a message and make him pout for the next two months.

As much as it might suck to have to deal with a fragile ego, or whatever you want to call it, our success in large part depends on him making some key contributions to this team for the next few years.

Considering that so far, 2 managers have failed to get through to Rios enough to get him to focus and correct mistakes like the one made yesterday, it will be an interesting challenge to see what Robin can do to correct him on this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)

As someone else stated, Alex is by all accounts trying. While it may appear to us differently, I really don't think that Alex is a lazy ballplayer. Struggleing, yes; fragile ego, maybe; doesn't always say the right thing, yes there too. But I don't believe he is lazy. All other aspects of his game seem to have improved this year with the work he has put in. I would think that among the worst things you could do at this point of the season is to send a message like benching him in the middle of a game.

Now if he reverts back to old habits, that may be a different story.

JMHO

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Considering that so far, 2 managers have failed to get through to Rios enough to get him to focus and correct mistakes like the one made yesterday, it will be an interesting challenge to see what Robin can do to correct him on this.

I can live with the mistake he made yesterday...it's part of the package you get from a talented OF defender. What is far more important is that he get his bat going. He's been doing a better job of having good at bats, but other than the home run, he hasn't hit too many balls hard this year. The hit he had yesterday was nice, but he should have hit home run #2 on that pitch to be honest.

Baby steps...

Interesting, I hadn't heard this yet.

Scott Merkin ‏ @scottmerkin

The decision to start Sale wasn't "wildly popular" originally, as he could have closed. But CWS certainly are happy now ~

Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

the initial decision to move Sale to the rotation wasn't wildly popular, but it resonated in the Sox's clubhouse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Interesting, I hadn't heard this yet.

Scott Merkin ‏ @scottmerkin

The decision to start Sale wasn't "wildly popular" originally, as he could have closed. But CWS certainly are happy now ~

Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

the initial decision to move Sale to the rotation wasn't wildly popular, but it resonated in the Sox's clubhouse.

Where was it not popular? I thought most people on this board were upset that he was put in the bullpen in the first place.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Where was it not popular? I thought most people on this board were upset that he was put in the bullpen in the first place.

Probably amongst the baseball prognosticators. Some of them (see: Law) thought he was destined for the bullpen, so I'm sure they also thought it was a bad idea to throw him in the rotation. I, like Harry, don't think they're referring to the fan base. Probably the talking heads...well, more like tweeting feeds these days.