http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...rtnerId=rss_cws

White Sox (2-2) vs Indians (1-3)

Tuesday 4/10, 7:05 PM ET at Progressive Field

Radio: CWS: WSCR 670, 97.5 ESPN Deportes CLE: WTAM 1100

TV: CWS: WCIU CLE: STO

Gomez, Humber on tap for Indians, White Sox

No. 5 starters enter season coming off solid springs

By Zack Meisel / MLB.com | 4/10/2012 12:37 AM ET

The Indians had a crop of candidates competing for the No. 5 spot in their rotation during Spring Training.

Each candidate had at least one strike against his case for winning the job -- except Jeanmar Gomez.

Roberto Hernandez, once known as Fausto Carmona, couldn't get approved for re-entry into the U.S. in time, and continues to pitch in the Dominican Republic.

Kevin Slowey, acquired from the Rockies over the winter, went 0-8 with a 6.67 ERA with Minnesota last season. He posted similar numbers in Spring Training: 0-3 with a 6.75 ERA in four starts.

David Huff carried a 5.79 ERA through six appearances before landing on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring.

Zach McAllister only pitched with the big league club three times in Spring Training, and posted a 4.50 ERA in six innings.

Then there is Gomez. He earned inclusion into the open competition after going 5-3 with a 4.47 ERA in 11 appearances last season. He was arguably the club's best pitcher in Spring Training, with a 1-1 record and 1.37 ERA in 19 2/3 innings of work.

His performance earned him the vacant rotation spot.

"I feel good, but that's just one step," Gomez said. "We need to continue to work hard every day. My slider was much better this year compared to two years ago. That helped me a lot with the hitters."

Gomez will make his season debut Tuesday against the White Sox, a club he has faced twice. In those starts, he is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA.

His opponent, Philip Humber, hasn't fared as well against the Indians. In four appearances (three starts) against Cleveland in 2011, Humber went 0-1 with a 7.43 ERA in 13 1/3 innings.

Humber pitched well in Spring Training, going 1-0 with a 3.18 ERA in four starts. He pitched five innings and allowed three runs in his final spring outing last Wednesday.

"I finished on a positive note," Humber said. "It was good to have a few runners on base and work on being quick to the plate. All systems go."

White Sox: Bullpen off to fast start

Chicago's bullpen has blanked its competition so far this season.

Through 9 2/3 innings, the White Sox 'pen has surrendered just one run, on a ninth-inning homer in Monday's 4-2 win against Cleveland.

"It definitely is a very positive group we have out there," lefty Matt Thornton said. "We are willing to do anything it takes to win games."

What makes the group's success even more impressive is its youth. Rookies Nate Jones and Addison Reed have held their own, as has first-year closer Hector Santiago.

Santiago, a 24-year-old rookie, came out of nowhere to win the closer's job. The left-hander yielded just one run in 11 spring innings.

"Hector went from probably the long guy coming into Spring Training to the closer," Thornton said. "That's how good of a spring he had. ... His stuff is pretty awesome. He's a unique pitcher who is fun to watch."

Indians: Acta unveils new lineup against lefties

Cleveland's batting order got a makeover for Monday's contest against the White Sox. Manager Manny Acta wanted to give some starters a rest after his club played 37 innings in three days against the Blue Jays.

His normal lineup, however, is left-handed heavy. Chicago started southpaw Chris Sale on Monday, so Acta employed some right-handed help off his bench.

Jason Donald, Jose Lopez, Aaron Cunningham and Lou Marson all made their first starts of the season.

"It's the beginning of the season," Acta said. "And, it's also a combination of facing a guy who can be very tough on some of our left-handers. It's too bad you don't have a bigger roster like in Spring Training."

Donald went 0-for-4 on Monday. Marson went hitless in three at-bats. Cunningham notched a single and Lopez hit a solo home run.

Acta said Hernandez has worked his way up to a pitch count of 85 while working at the Indians' baseball academy in the Dominican Republic. Hernandez is waiting for a new visa from the U.S. so he can rejoin the Indians at some point this season.

"He's getting a little antsy back home and he wants to get over here," Acta said. "But it's totally out of his or our hands."

Worth noting

• The White Sox won 11 of their 18 meetings with the Tribe last season.

• Ubaldo Jimenez, serving a five-game suspension, is expected to start Saturday at Kansas City.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope Beckham can start matching some of his nifty fielding with his work in the batter's box.

Alex Rios, TWO HANDS.

Chris Sale, every left-handed batter in the league will cringe when they see the Shin-Soo Choo HBP highlight. Fear is your friend.

Dayan Viciedo, keep it up. Same with DeAza (except for getting thrown out on the basepaths).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
The talent drop off between Texas and Cleveland is just amazing.

You aren't kidding. Aaron Cunningham in the 8 spot is a little less intimidating than Mike Napoli in the 8 hole. To give us an idea of how good the Sox pitching could be..lets see what Texas' lineup does the next week or so. They exploded last night for Darvish.

On paper, this doesn't look like a good matchup to us. But let us tear up that paper and win this game. Go White Sox!

Humber, humber

break their lumber

put them into a slumber

looking dumb and dumber

and keep lowering your ERA number

Fill Up Humber.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏ @whitesox

Today's #WhiteSox lineup at CLE: Beckham-4, Rios-9, Dunn-DH, Konerko-3, Fukudome-8, Ramirez-6, Viciedo-7, Flowers-2, Morel-5, Humber-RHP

Whoa. That lineup is confusing on the eyes. Rios in the 2-spot is intriguing

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
In this lineup that is true. I was thinking more to the future when De Aza leads off

I'll be honest, Rios in the 2nd spot seems like a 6-4-3 DP waiting to happen. Oh well, let's see if Manto's philosophy of using the whole field continues to pay off for him.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
WTF is going on? Does he think leadoff will help Beckham's approach somehow or something, or is this just due to a complete lack of leadoff candidates when De Aza's out?

I'd have gone Fukudome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
I'd have gone Fukudome.

I know the whole "Mr. April" thing, but I think I might've gone Lillibridge. I guess you can't go wrong, though, since you can't really go right.