GT 4/11/12 - SOX @ Indians - 11:05a CDT - CSN

knightni

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
xFIP: 3.79

Also, as recently as the middle of last year he had a stretch of pure dominance. Even with a full year of poor numbers, it would be hard to declare with any confidence that Danks is "steadily declining", let alone with a very recent stretch of greatness.

Danks has those stretches of dominance...but this is why I'd call Danks a "Question mark" or at the very least "Less than rock solid" as a #1 pitcher.

He also has stretches where that changeup just isn't on, and when that changeup isn't on, he doesn't have a good other way of getting outs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Danks has those stretches of dominance...but this is why I'd call Danks a "Question mark" or at the very least "Less than rock solid" as a #1 pitcher.

He also has stretches where that changeup just isn't on, and when that changeup isn't on, he doesn't have a good other way of getting outs.

so did you consider mark buehrle rock solid?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

Right, he's not perfectly consistent but "declining" is an unfair and inaccurate descriptor

In his last start, it was Kinsler. This start, it is Hafner.

Maybe can get one more inning out of Danks since it will be 8-9-1 and they are 1-6 this game.

But have that bullpen ready. Unless we score a crooked number this inning. Score more White Sox! We have a good chance here. Masterson is out of the game.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)

Danks is clearly not a #1 pitcher. He may be in the bottom 5 of #1s in the league.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Danks is clearly not a #1 pitcher. He may be in the bottom 5 of #1s in the league.

Chen

Pavano

Masterson

Arrieta

McCarthy

Lewis

so maybe the 7th worst. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
ps this "rock solid" thing is so stupid. all i'm saying is that we have a rotation that, 1 thru 5 are all average or above average pitchers. thus, solid. most teams can't say this.

No...they "Can be" average or above average pitchers. Only 2 of them have a track record of being above average pitchers, and even then, not amazingly far above average.

Many teams can say that.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Chen

Pavano

Masterson

Arrieta

McCarthy

Lewis

so maybe the 7th worst. :P

ha, sounds about right, though i may prefer McCarthy at this point

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
No...they "Can be" average or above average pitchers. Only 2 of them have a track record of being above average pitchers, and even then, not amazingly far above average.

Many teams can say that.

you don't understand average and above average in major league baseball.

a 4.00 is above average in the American League.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
you don't understand average and above average in major league baseball.

a 4.00 is above average in the American League.

Great. So out of the 3, 4, 5 starters on the White Sox, which ones have a track record of putting up above average ERA's over 175+ innings for the last 2-3 seasons?