Ventura values "Get away" wins.

balfanman

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5909253.story

Not sure if I posted the link correctly, if not, mods could you please correct this.

In this Tribune story it talks about how Robin Ventura sees winning the last game of a series as important. He states that because the whole team spends time together on the flight home, the winning of the "Get away" games helps to build team comradery and a winning atmosphere. The article also talks about how it helped the Cardinals when they won.

I must say that I would agree with this and it is one of the many things that I despised about Ozzies "leadership".

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
So for the 2nd game of a series we'll get things like Beckham leading off, instead of the 3rd game?

All things being equal and if we are assuming that this will result in a loss and the get away game will be a win, Robin believes a Saturday loss and a Sunday win is better than a Saturday win and Sunday loss because of the winning attitude and atmosphere. Seems like a decent idea. Don't put the crap lineup out on get away day.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
How about the suggestion that Robin was just having fun with the lineup yesterday since he knew it would get postponed?

I thought of that earlier too. Would Robin do something like that?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
The whole Sunday lineup idea really baffles me. Instead of having your lineup at 50% on Sunday, and 100% Fri/Sat, how about giving guys rest throughout the series and keep the lineup at 85/90% the whole time. Every game counts the same.

But then you're undermanned every single game. What hurts you more, being down 1 person 3 games in a row, or being down 3 people in 1 game?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
But then you're undermanned every single game. What hurts you more, being down 1 person 3 games in a row, or being down 3 people in 1 game?

If you work matchup factors into the 3 games, then I'd say 3 people in 1 game hurts more. Find certain days/matchups to give your best players rest, not all of them on the same day like some managers tend to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)

With Lillibridge as our primary replacement, I'm not sure we'd be down much at all, depending on who he's replacing.

I will admit the Sunday lineup at least late in the Ozzie tenure was very annoying.

Seeing Oldmar in there every Sunday was buzzkill. Many of those Sunday lineups were brutal.

p.s. Hopefully Robin is already sick of Rios and he and Fuko will be sharing RF. And I do realize Alex already is responsible for one of our three wins.

Edited by greg775

I'm not so sure it's the "putting all the bench players in" lineups that bothers me so much. I like to see them all play at times, and they should all be major league quality or what are they doing here in the first place. What bothered me more was the "well we've already won the series anyway so let's give a half hearted effort for the series finale" attitude that seemed to be prevalent. Especially when those lineups made no statistical sense for the most part. How many times did Ozzie rest the guy who was hot instead of the guy who was slumping. Or resting the guy who had a good history against a certain pitcher in favor of a guy who was 0 fer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
So for the 2nd game of a series we'll get things like Beckham leading off, instead of the 3rd game?

This is the more likely scenario. You have to find days when the regulars get days off. It's a philosophical of how many regulars did substitute at once and on which day.

I think it depends on the opponent and on how strong your bench is. If your opponent has 3 beatable starting pitchers for a series, maybe you rest one starter each game and try to win all three. If your opponent has one stud starter out of the three, maybe you sacrifice the game the stud is starting by resting three starters that game and playing the other two full strength.

With this Sox team in particular, Flowers starts are going to come vs. LHP, regardless of which game in the series it is, and other than Dunn, Konerko, and Alexei, I don't think any of the other starters are so good that you lose much by subbing in Fukudome, Escobar, or Lillibridge.