THAT'S A PEAVY WIN AND A WHITE SOX WINNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
This is just an observation.

Just watched the highlights of the Sox win today over Detroit.

On AJ's shot to the corner, Paulie was touching third base as the rightfielder picked up the ball.

Can you believe how slow Paulie is (or how amazing that relay was) for the throw to beat him to the plate?

That's pretty crazy.

Is that why they called it a triple instead of a double? That Paulie is so slow it was truly a 3B.

The throw might have beaten him to the plate, but he was on the wrong (1B) side of the plate when he received the ball, instead of blocking it.

Konerko was there a split-second faster with his foot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 02:22 AM)
The throw might have beaten him to the plate, but he was on the wrong (1B) side of the plate when he received the ball, instead of blocking it.

Konerko was there a split-second faster with his foot.

Yeah, it was a great slide. I loved it, I just can't believe poor Paulie can't make it to home when he's touching third base when the ball is at the wall. It was a great relay play, but wow.

Not blasting Paulie, obviously, as he's my all time fave.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
Good column on ESPN saying how the opener win vs division rivals help to cover awful games by Beckham and Dunn.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but Dunn looks worse game after game.. just like last year really.

I'm just hoping we can win in spite of Dunn. At some point, though, Robin might have to move him down in the order. If he has to make out, I guess a K is better than a DP.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Just read the espnchicago column. I wonder if Robin will turn to Lillibridge at second if Beckham continues to be this bad at the plate.

That's the most logical place to play him, because you have Fukudome to replace or platoon with a (predicatably) struggling Rios.

Lillibridge can take Beckham's place.

The one area you can't fix easily is Morel failing too, because Escobar, while he hit well in ST, is going to be a 550-650 OPS bat in the majors, unless he's miraculously improved....but no scout in baseball projected him as an everyday starter at SS due to his weak bat.

That means you're left with the likes of Dan Johnson or Conor Jackson if Adam Dunn completely falls apart again.

Let's hope it doesn't reach that point.

The best replacement for Morel is probably Dallas McPherson, but "best" there is nothing to brag about. Not only that, but then we have to put AJ (our second best power hitter) or Ramirez in the 2 hole to replace Brent, unless you have Lillibridge or Fukudome there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
That's the most logical place to play him, because you have Fukudome to replace or platoon with a (predicatably) struggling Rios.

Lillibridge can take Beckham's place.

The one area you can't fix easily is Morel failing too, because Escobar, while he hit well in ST, is going to be a 550-650 OPS bat in the majors, unless he's miraculously improved....but no scout in baseball projected him as an everyday starter at SS due to his weak bat.

That means you're left with the likes of Dan Johnson or Conor Jackson if Adam Dunn completely falls apart again.

Let's hope it doesn't reach that point.

The best replacement for Morel is probably Dallas McPherson, but "best" there is nothing to brag about. Not only that, but then we have to put AJ (our second best power hitter) or Ramirez in the 2 hole to replace Brent, unless you have Lillibridge or Fukudome there.

Morel got a big RBI today, slow starter, for some reason I'm not really worried about him. Beckham scares me. He looks lost, I mean the Greenberg put it this way: "He needs a treasure map to find first base"

This offense is very worrisome. The same group seems to be picking right up where they left off last year.

Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel, are still huge holes in the lineup.

Let's hope either they figure it out, or that Robin and K. W. will be proactive, and make changes before the team finds itself in a hole, from which they can't crawl out.

I didn't see the game yesterday, but my guess is that Dunn was simply stressing a bit since it was his first home game after a historically bad 2011. He still took 30 pitches in his four ABs, which I doubt he did many times last year.

IMO, Dunn looks incredibly better this season even if the results aren't there yet. People need to realize that Dunn is going to strikeout a s***load even when he's playing well. I feel like he's seeing more pitches and making better contact than last year. If we give him some time, the power will eventuallh be there.

As for Beckham...

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 07:00 AM)
This offense is very worrisome. The same group seems to be picking right up where they left off last year.

Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel, are still huge holes in the lineup.

Let's hope either they figure it out, or that Robin and K. W. will be proactive, and make changes before the team finds itself in a hole, from which they can't crawl out.

Are you just looking at stats or actually watching games? I know they haven't been producing but Rios and Dunn both look much better at the plate and Morel while struggling has still been able to have some productive outs after game 1. The main concern is Beckham, he looks like he is being patient at the plate but his swing is just way off.

I'm not ready to bury Beckham and designate him a utility man 6 games after the Ozzie era. I think Beckham is still being reprogrammed, I'm willing to give him at least until the all star break before I start shoveling dirt over his career.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
I really don't think Andrus wouldn't have gotten to that, Alexei was shot out of a f***in cannon, it was sick.

I think there are some other guys that would have, but Alexei has the arm to go along with the range. That's what separates him in my mind.

Now if he could only be a consistent hitter...

It wasn't so much as getting to the ball, it was more the effortless way he shovelled it instinctively to Beckham.

Very few players in baseball can make a play like that, regardless of the position.

You could tell Beckham was surprised...he almost fumbled it and double-clutched, which would have allowed the tying run to score.

There are very few shortstops in baseball today that can field worth a darn and put up a 725-775 OPS.