White Sox Winner - 1st Place Chicago White Sox!!!

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
They didn't really hit Floyd much at all. He just didn't want to give them anything to hit, kept the ball down all day, and ended up putting several on through walks and HBP

Floyd has owned the Tigers in his career. He's now 7-2 against them.

Edited by chw42

What a great win and great start to the season.

It's so weird that it's the opposite of the last 2.5 seasons.

Winning at home so far; beating the Central so far.

And the games are clean and functional, not dysfunctional.

I tip my cap to Robin.

We sweep the Tigers tomorrow, every baseball pundit has to take notice.

We lose, they can argue it was more of a fluke because we faced Wilk and had two miraculous defensive plays in the first game.

Of course, you MAKE your own luck, if you're a good team or believe you're the better one.

Still a 21-8 run by the Tigers against us dating back to the end of 2010. (they won the final six, also won 8 of the final 9 in 2010)

13-5 in 2010, but they also won the last 6 in a row (2 blown Santos saves, including when we were "only" 5 1/2 behind at the beginning of SEPT)

That 21-8 against us is a Twins-like run of almost .750 ball.

Sweep, we move up into the #12-16 range in every expert's "baseball ratings/rankings." We had to do the same thing in 2000, 2005 and 2008 to earn respect nationally.

I wouldn't put it past Bossard.

With Peavy pitching, every little inch counts that they can move the opposing batters up against Peavy's fastball.

Little things like this are great for baseball and rivalries, like the Twins turning the vents on and off depending on who was batting, or signalling pitches/location with the outfield scoreboard.

Of course, they can't admit a team with 3 superstars could actually lose to the White Sox fair and square.

There's no reason not to play Fukudome and Lillibridge.

Rios and Beckham can sit.

Escobar, however, shouldn't be in the line-up.

Van Dyck, www.chicagotribune.com/sports

"Those are the guys you're going against for the playoffs," manager Robin Ventura said. "It's nice to start off that way. It is April, though, but it's better than losing those games and saying (as an excuse that) it's a long season.

"For right now, I like the feel of the team and the way they come every day prepared to play. It's important to be 4-0 in your division, but it's more important for me how we're approaching it day-in and day-out."

Last season, when the Sox finished 16 games out of first place, they lost 13 of 18 games against the Tigers. In fact, the Tigers had won 11 of the previous 14 games at U.S. Cellular Field.

"This team is so new. Nothing from last year feels part of this team," captain Paul Konerko said. "That's a good thing. … All we can hope is we're in the mix in the end.

"All I know for sure is those two games are over. I don't know anything else. (But) it's nice to get those two games in the books."

The Sox have outscored the mighty Tigers' offense 10-3, with starters Jake Peavy and Gavin Floyd holding them to five hits and two runs over 122/3 innings.

On Saturday, Floyd allowed only three hits in his six innings but walked three and hit three other batters. Twice he left the bases loaded. He got two innings of one-run relief from Jesse Crain and a perfect ninth from Matt Thornton as the bullpen has compiled a 1.96 ERA this season.

"We feed off each other," Floyd said. "It's a long season, but we'll try to keep doing it because we're trying to win them all."

For Flowers, it was the first homer of the season in his first start as catcher. He also threw out a would-be base-stealer and stole a base of his own, which ties him with De Aza for the team lead.

"Every once in a while. I think Tyler can run a little bit," Ventura said. "So, on occasion, (if) nobody is paying attention, he's given the ability to run."

On Sunday, the Sox will go for a sweep behind Chris Sale.

"The start is two months into the season and that's a long way away," Konerko said. "But we're doing it right, taking it inning-by-inning without thinking too many big things. Our thoughts are small. It's the way it should be."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
I didnt catch this yesterday but Tigers fans are claiming the Sox deliberately are cheating by messing up the batters box.

Hahaha that's so stupid. Why would we do that when their pitcher's fastball is faster than ours? We'd be screwing over ourselves more than them.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
We need to go just 28-40 from here to match our record against the Central from last year.

I don't wanna see them match it - I want to see them blow it out of the f!$king water.

:)