Paul Konerko

Heads22

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
I'm amazed at how good a hitter he is.

Approach wise, I don't think there's a better hitter in baseball.

For what, 3 years now, he's been on top of every pitch.

Amazing hitter.

Albert Pujols wants to have a word with you. With that said, PK truly is amazing. He's pretty easily the 2nd best Sox hitter of my lifetime. If he played for any other team, I may question how it's possible for a player in his mid-30's to be having the best years of his career, but since he's a White Sox, I couldn't care less.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/14419

Players at age 34-35 to put up 150+ OPS seasons in baseball history.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...?blockID=647180

Depending on what stat you use, he's been anywhere from the 2nd (to Votto) to #5-6 hitter in all of MLB based on OPS from 2010-2011.

Re: the first one, he didn't actually accomplish that. Article was written in August of 2011. He ended the season with a 144 OPS+

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
It is pretty awesome when you consider he was supposed to be out of the game like 10 years ago because of his hip.

Was watching one of the Cleveland games the other day on the Extra Innings package and the Tribe announcers were praising Konerko's career accomplishments while noting that he never "legs out" a hit and that pretty much all of his hits need to reach the outfield becuase he's so darn slow - this increased their praise, while making them wonder what his numbers would be if he had even average speed.

It's a good point.

I'll take it a small step further. I've noticed that over the past three seasons or so infielders have realized just HOW slow Paulie is, and are making more and more "spectacular" plays against him. It's been crazy how often balls off Paulie's bat are becoming defensive highlights. IMO, it's because the fielders have realized that they merely need to STOP the ball from reaching the outfield - NOT stopping the ball with a mindset to get up quickly and make a throw (as they would with a normal runner), because there's ALWAYS time to make the throw with Paulie "running". This is resulting in less "seeing eye singles" and less hits generally according to this observer.

And yet his numbers continue to rock.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Was watching one of the Cleveland games the other day on the Extra Innings package and the Tribe announcers were praising Konerko's career accomplishments while noting that he never "legs out" a hit and that pretty much all of his hits need to reach the outfield becuase he's so darn slow - this increased their praise, while making them wonder what his numbers would be if he had even average speed.

It's a good point.

I'll take it a small step further. I've noticed that over the past three seasons or so infielders have realized just HOW slow Paulie is, and are making more and more "spectacular" plays against him. It's been crazy how often balls off Paulie's bat are becoming defensive highlights. IMO, it's because the fielders have realized that they merely need to STOP the ball from reaching the outfield - NOT stopping the ball with a mindset to get up quickly and make a throw (as they would with a normal runner), because there's ALWAYS time to make the throw with Paulie "running". This is resulting in less "seeing eye singles" and less hits generally according to this observer.

And yet his numbers continue to rock.

It is amazing how slow he is. You bring up a great point. I wonder why there's not a Paulie shift that would have the third baseman and shortstop play several steps past the infield. He would not be able to beat out any "hits" that are a few steps into the outfield grass. Interesting

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
It has to be the hip that makes him slow. Can't a person train to run faster? If he could train to be faster, I bet he would.

It boggles my mind how Konerko is that slow. It's not like he's out of shape or anything, he's just slow footed...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
It boggles my mind how Konerko is that slow. It's not like he's out of shape or anything, he's just slow footed...

Exactly my thoughts. I mean look at how quickly (relative) Fielder got around the bases today, almost tried to stretch out a triple. Big man can move.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 05:56 AM)
I dunno, momentum?

Sounds dumb, but some guys are just slow.

Paulie should be proud he's overcome that to make it in the big leagues and be a zillionaire.

Tons of baseball players who can HIT never get a sniff because they can't run and scouts get out the gun and laugh ... and don't draft them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 02:51 AM)
Sounds dumb, but some guys are just slow.

Paulie should be proud he's overcome that to make it in the big leagues and be a zillionaire.

Tons of baseball players who can HIT never get a sniff because they can't run and scouts get out the gun and laugh ... and don't draft them.

The joke was that Prince Fielder has enough mass that his momentum carries him.

Hip injuries make you waaaay slower. I was never fast, but serviceable, then when I had my knee injury and tried to play through it, it blew out my hips. I still have a nice first step, but after that my hips get real tired, real fast.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
So mechanically what makes Fielder faster than Konerko? Doesn't it come to how fast your move your legs. Legs are connected to your hips.

Core strength is a part of it too which includes your hips so there ya go...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
It is amazing how slow he is. You bring up a great point. I wonder why there's not a Paulie shift that would have the third baseman and shortstop play several steps past the infield. He would not be able to beat out any "hits" that are a few steps into the outfield grass. Interesting

Shhhhhhh!!!

Edited by Lillian