Are you in favor of a #21 Day for Roberto Clemente?

caulfield12

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6040100006.html

Discuss.

I know JoshPR and myself are on-board, since he's my all-time favorite player.

Points for...

1) The fact that MLB is now comprised of roughly 30% Hispanic players

2) The fact that Clemente and Gehrig were the only HOFers who had the usual five year waiting period waived

3) His off-field humanitarianism and outspokeness on civil rights issues

4) His exactly 3,000 hits, 12 Gold Gloves, .317 career average and mythological status due to his death

Against...

1) Not as famous as Robinson

2) Wasn't the first or perhaps even the best Hispanic player

3) Played for the Pirates

4) Breaking the color line was arguably much more important than being one of the leading Hispanic players

5) He didn't face nearly as much discrimination as Robinson did, all by himself, in 1947

6) He had a controversial and tempestuous relationship with the press/media while he was alive

7) Didn't serve in the U.S. military like Robinson (who was actually court-martialed but cleared of wrongdoing)

They honor Clemente every year with a prestigious award named after him. That's more than enough.

I'm not big on retiring numbers league wide, even for Jackie Robinson. And everyone wearing 42 is just plain confusing and silly. It started as one player would wear 42. They should go back to that, or just have a 42 on the sleeve of each player.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
They honor Clemente every year with a prestigious award named after him. That's more than enough.

The award in his name is a unique honor for him. They don't need to repeat what they do for Jackie, give him the award, it's the right thing.