Game Thread: BAL @ CHW, 4/17, 7:10pm

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
It would be a violation of the CBA.

I did not know yu could not fine players anymore.

Makes sense though.

Coddled players. That was a mental mistake that cannot be tolerated. It only cost the Sox a chance at winning a game.

Kangaroo court and for violations of team rules/policy, but not on-field play (no matter how abysmal).

Unless he did something like Albert Belle and beaned a fan in the stands with a thrown baseball, something absurd or out of the ordinary like that....which will never, ever happen with Rios, as long as he keeps getting his checks deposited every 2 weeks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)

Makes sense though.

Coddled players. That was a mental mistake that cannot be tolerated. It only cost the Sox a chance at winning a game.

Look how well the Bobby Valentine/Tough Love approach is working in Boston.

They're 4-7 now, and in a world of hurt without a closer or Ellsbury.

It's almost like they have to start over again without Pedroia, Youkilis, Ortiz, Beckett, etc. Might be the same thing with the White Sox starting almost completely anew...which will never happen with AJ, Peavy, Paulie, Rios and Dunn on the roster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)

Makes sense though.

It's almost like they have to start over again without Pedroia, Youkilis, Ortiz, Beckett, etc. Might be the same thing with the White Sox starting almost completely anew...which will never happen with AJ, Peavy, Paulie, Rios and Dunn on the roster.

I get what you're trying to say, but don't think it applies to the Sox.

AJ and Paulie ARE SOX - Peavy says he wants to be. We're all waiting...man, he sure talks alot....

The rest in your list can go get f***ed.

We were outdrawn by over 2,500 fans BY THE ROYALS.

The Marlins had 24,544 (clearly they're not going to sell out many games this season, except weekends and if the team's doing well) for the return of Guillen/Cubs and it's higher than our average (quickly sinking) of 24,367.

27. White Sox, 24,367

28. Astros, 23.162

29. Royals, 22,218 (but have outdrawn us the last two nights)

30. Indians, 18,219

Yay, at least we're not Cleveland or Houston, perhaps the Twins. I can't think of too many other teams in a worse situation going forward, maybe the A's without a new ballpark.

Even Pirates fans have many reasons to be excited.

Can we manage to go below 10,000 Wednesday?

Edited by caulfield12

We were outdrawn by over 2,500 fans BY THE ROYALS.

The Marlins had 24,544 (clearly they're not going to sell out many games this season, except weekends and if the team's doing well) for the return of Guillen/Cubs and it's higher than our average (quickly sinking) of 24,367.

27. White Sox, 24,367

28. Astros, 23.162

29. Royals, 22,218 (but have outdrawn us the last two nights)

30. Indians, 18,219

Yay, at least we're not Cleveland or Houston, perhaps the Twins. I can't think of too many other teams in a worse situation going forward, maybe the A's without a new ballpark.

Even Pirates fans have many reasons to be excited.

Can we manage to go below 10,000 Wednesday?

The average is just under 26K if you average over the years since '95... Lot of s***ty teams in there, too (you should look at the Sox LOSING history as well).

Anyway, "Low", yes - but "10K by Wednesday" sounds like NBC today.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
The average is just under 26K if you average over the years since '95... Lot of s***ty teams in there, too (you should look at the Sox LOSING history as well).

Anyway, "Low", yes - but "10K by Wednesday" sounds like NBC today.

Yes, there was a struggle from 1996-99 (these kids can play), but almost every winning percentage you can track from 1993-2000, 1993-2008, even 2012, the White Sox are going to rank anywhere from 3rd-5th.

Behind the Yankees, Braves, and I would imagine you could add the Cardinals or the Red Sox as well, definitely the Red Sox.

The point being is that while our winning percentage (not playoff appearances) has been very good...well, never mind.

Just remembering the last White Sox draft choice inside of the top 10 should force you to recall the long string of pretty good play, with the exception of 2007.

http://umresearchboard.org/resources/davis...nce_Winning.pdf

I'll just refer to pages 20-31 in this economics report on the connection between attendance and winning percentage

Edited by caulfield12