The Beckham Dilemma

macsandz

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
What exactly is he not doing now that he was doing when he was successful? The thing I hear repeatedly is "long swing."

He has zero pitch recognition, nor any idea of what the strike zone is. I'm not sure his swing is much longer than it ever was, but when he was successful, he had a great grasp on the zone and rarely swung at bad pitches. He is just guessing up there and looks like he is making feeble attempts to foul a ball off instead of drive it. And it seems he is always looking breaking ball, because fastballs right down the middle go by him with out any issue. If I was pitching him, I would throw him two fastballs down the middle, to get ahead and wouldn't be the least bit concerned he would hurt me.

Edited by shakes

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
What exactly is he not doing now that he was doing when he was successful? The thing I hear repeatedly is "long swing."

He's always had that hitch with his hands. Now, he can't identify pitches so he's late on everything. A long swing is fine if you have good timing. Beckham has awful pitch recognition and its screwing his timing up. He can't catch up to fastballs and he tries to rock breaking balls he can't hit. I wouldn't even know where to begin with him. If he's going to be a part if the Sox future he has to be sent down. He'll never figure it out here. He's s***. He has no confidence.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
I remember thinking his swing looked a little like Gary Sheffield's when he first played for the Sox in spring training. Last night, I don't know who that was at the plate.

When did Gary Sheffield play for the Sox?

It baffles me that a guy like Beckham wouldn't go to a "professional hitter" like Konerko, who has such sound mechanics, and ask him for help.

Then, if I were Gordon, I'd just scrap everything I was doing, and try to emmulate Paulie. I'd figure, "how could I go wrong with that approach?"

Paulie is so fundamentally sound, in his approach. Why not?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
It baffles me that a guy like Beckham wouldn't go to a "professional hitter" like Konerko, who has such sound mechanics, and ask him for help.

Then, if I were Gordon, I'd just scrap everything I was doing, and try to emmulate Paulie. I'd figure, "how could I go wrong with that approach?"

According to Beckham, he spends a ton of time with Konerko and they have gone over things like that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)

I am guessing the problem is the opposite. Usually when guys are going bad, it is because they are listening to too many people, not too few.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
According to Beckham, he spends a ton of time with Konerko and they have gone over things like that.

If that's the case, then apparently Gordon isn't a very good "student". His approach is nothing like Paulie's, and it's just plain bad!!!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
If that's the case, then apparently Gordon isn't a very good "student". His approach is nothing like Paulie's, and it's just plain bad!!!

Like 2k5 said...Beckham probably has 36 different voices telling him things to do to fix his approach every week. Mimicking another player is usually not going to work for a guy anyway.

When you don't have the talent that the professional hitter has, the advice can only help so much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Like 2k5 said...Beckham probably has 36 different voices telling him things to do to fix his approach every week. Mimicking another player is usually not going to work for a guy anyway.

I agree with you. He shouldn't listen to "36 different voices". He should listen to the one guy around this organization who has the best fundamental approach.

Paulie, Paulie, Paulie!!!!

If it were that simple, there would be ~1,000,000,000 capable MLB hitters in the world.

Every kid could just read the Ted Williams/Charlie Lau books.

Every golfer could read Tiger Woods/Golf Digest swing mechanics books, etc.

Approach is ONE thing, but Gordon Beckham changing his basic swing is just not going to happen, any more than it is with Rios or Dunn. You'll see variations, little things like timing devices with the foot or the bat position, but nothing so huge.

For example, Austin Jackson had his front foot in the air too much and the simple adjustment of quieting that down has totally changed him as a hitter from last season. Gordon Beckham could live 24 hours per day with Paul Konerko and it might actually make him worse.

For example, if any hitter tried to copy Roberto Clemente or Frank Thomas, they would be cut by their high school team in about 2-3 weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
Every kid could just read the Ted Williams/Charlie Lau books.

Every golfer could read Tiger Woods/Golf Digest swing mechanics books, etc.

Approach is ONE thing, but Gordon Beckham changing his basic swing is just not going to happen, any more than it is with Rios or Dunn. You'll see variations, little things like timing devices with the foot or the bat position, but nothing so huge.

For example, Austin Jackson had his front foot in the air too much and the simple adjustment of quieting that down has totally changed him as a hitter from last season. Gordon Beckham could live 24 hours per day with Paul Konerko and it might actually make him worse.

For example, if any hitter tried to copy Roberto Clemente or Frank Thomas, they would be cut by their high school team in about 2-3 weeks.

There have been some very talented hitters, over the years, who really didn't have the best approach, but hit, in spite of it. Perhaps, they would have been even better, if they had better mechanics. There are also some things that take place in the batter's box, before the pitch is delivered, that are unorthodox, but don't affect the hitters final swing. Nevertheless, there are certain important elements to a sound approach that a hitter should be following, and I don't see Beckham executing those very well. His lead foot is in the air too long, and his hitch is too exaggerated, and very late.

When I watch him hit, my impression is that he has no chance. I felt the same way last year, watching Rios' horrible mechanics.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Thinking completely off key, who out there would be interested in a Pedro Alvarez for Gordon Beckham deal? (This is just a theoretical, not a real item)

Considering I don't know who Pedro Alvarez is, I am.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Considering I don't know who Pedro Alvarez is, I am.

Recent top pick of Pittsburgh, was touted as being a future superstar powerhitter when drafted. He has been awful at the major league level. A lot in common with Gordo.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alvarpe01.shtml

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Thinking completely off key, who out there would be interested in a Pedro Alvarez for Gordon Beckham deal? (This is just a theoretical, not a real item)

Why the hell not, but I think Alvarez has been worse than Beckham so far.

The thing that would make sense (the most) about that is we don't really have any legit 3B prospects in the minors, unless you are projecting Saladino to move there instead of sticking at 3B or being moved to the other side, 2B.

Saladino's bat probably projects better at 2B than 3rd, as he's not really a true power hitter, but he's developing (well, based on 2011 mostly) in that area. This is a big jump for him to AA, though, and will probably be a pretty rough year for him offensively.