The Beckham Dilemma

macsandz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 04:12 AM)
Send Beckham down and bring up a third catcher. That frees up AJ and Flowers to DH. Dunn can sit. Start Lillibridge at 2B. I'm sick of watching Beckham and Dunn bat.

Lillibridge and Flowers absolutely should be playing whenever we face a LHP. I like your idea a lot!

Send Beckham down and bring up a third catcher. That frees up AJ and Flowers to DH. Dunn can sit. Start Lillibridge at 2B. I'm sick of watching Beckham and Dunn bat.

I would hitchhike on this wagon.

Why Lillibridge isn't a starter over Beckham is an absolute f***ing mystery to me at this point.... I mean, this is the same team that gave a name/face to Uribe - and at that time I didn't think anyone could be more frustrating than him. But that was until we were "All in" and took on high dollars in guys like Rios and Dunn... (meanwhile he {Uribe} got sent and just earned himself another ring).

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
I would hitchhike on this wagon.

Why Lillibridge isn't a starter over Beckham is an absolute f***ing mystery to me at this point.... I mean, this is the same team that gave a name/face to Uribe - and at that time I didn't think anyone could be more frustrating than him. But that was until we took on high dollars in guys like Rios and Dunn... (while he got another ring).

1) Uribe was a VERY clutch hitter.

2) He consistently put up 20 hr's and 65-75 RBI's per season.

3) He was great at getting runners in from 3rd and less than 2 outs.

4) He played SS, a premium position compared to 2B, at least at that time/era of baseball.

5) If Beckham or Morel could come close to a 700-725 OPS, it would be a minor miracle at this point. Almost every White Sox fans would take Uribe's average season from 2004-2006 compared to where he's at now (Gordon), and what they expect from him in the future.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)

Probably Gimenez, who's a very strong defensive catcher.

Phegley should continue to get close to everyday play because of all the time he's missed due to injuries/rehab/recovery.

1) Uribe was a VERY clutch hitter.

2) He consistently put up 20 hr's and 65-75 RBI's per season.

3) He was great at getting runners in from 3rd and less than 2 outs.

4) He played SS, a premium position compared to 2B, at least at that time/era of baseball.

5) If Beckham or Morel could come close to a 700-725 OPS, it would be a minor miracle at this point. Almost every White Sox fans would take Uribe's average season from 2004-2006 compared to where he's at now (Gordon), and what they expect from him in the future.

All true - and could play 3rd..... so WHY was it we passed on him???? I forget if that was before the holy roller washout or not, but I guess hindsight is 20/20 anyway - isn't it :huh

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 04:46 AM)
Soxtalk hated AJP, Soxtalk hated Konerko from 2007-2009, Soxtalk hated Contreras for half of 2005. Cheer for the Soxtalk punching bags, usually they turn out to be OK.

I hated soxtalk for hating Konerko at that time.

Soxtalk hated AJP, Soxtalk hated Konerko from 2007-2009, Soxtalk hated Contreras for half of 2005. Cheer for the Soxtalk punching bags, usually they turn out to be OK.

I cheer for the laundry, but Dunn and Rios are HORSEs*** wearing it.

See one: Swisher, Nick.

Sometimes the team isn't a fit - these guys aren't, and I don't think Rios would fit in ANYWHERE (just personal opinion).

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)

Sometimes the team isn't a fit - these guys aren't, and I don't think Rios would fit in ANYWHERE (just personal opinion).

Swisher was all Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)

Rios just gets into the just here to collect a check mode a lot, and Dunn may be done, at least as a full time player. Let him flail away against RHP, but against LHP, we almost all have just as good of a chance.

Rios just gets into the just here to collect a check mode a lot, and Dunn may be done, at least as a full time player. Let him flail away against RHP, but against LHP, we almost all have just as good of a chance.

Sorry for the hijack - I just can't hate on Dunn enough. You won't find a single post from me happy about getting him. NL Central s*** ass; maintained on non-contending teams.. He's the Javier Vazquez of DH candidates. If he was the DH for Minnesota, or KC, or Oakland...he'd probably be "great".

He's a saber-head's reality check, really.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)

Not so sure about Erstad, Mackowiak, Anderson (well, for me he was a punching bag), Juan Pierre and Bobby Jenks.

I'll include DeWayne Wise, just for Greg, but he was never really a threat to be a full-time player so that's a different category.

We hated the fact that KW never had a good solution for CF from the time Rowand left...and took it out on whoever played CFer, whether it was Anderson/Mackowiak/Erstad/Griffey/Pods/Pierre/Rios, a LONG line of mostly infamous names.

KW should have been the punching bag more than those individuals, but it is what it is, or was what it was.