4/18/12 Game Thread - O's @ White Sox

hogan873

Okay, I'll give it a shot. The Sox have to take this one.

Jake "I party with fat guys" Peavy is taking the mound to face the Orioles and Tommy Hunter.

The game starts at 7:10 and ends with a White Sox win.

Tune into CSN.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

De Aza 8, Morel 5, Dunn DH, Konerko 3, Pierzynski 2, Rios 9, Fukudome 7, Ramirez 6, Beckham 4

Robin...don't be an idiot.

Fukudome should bat 2nd in this lineup. Ramirez 7th and Morel 8th (or even not in the lineup).

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
De Aza 8, Morel 5, Dunn DH, Konerko 3, Pierzynski 2, Rios 9, Fukudome 7, Ramirez 6, Beckham 4

Robin...don't be an idiot.

He said he wasnt going to make major changes anytime soon.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
He said he wasnt going to make major changes anytime soon.

Yes, and that's dumb. This is the easiest stretch of schedule out of the 6 months, and he's going to bury the team in the first 40 games because of being too nice.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Yes, and that's dumb. This is the easiest stretch of schedule out of the 6 months, and he's going to bury the team in the first 40 games because of being too nice.

Yep, plenty of time to put Morel back into the 2nd spot if the team falls out of contention like the experts predict. Really disappointed in these lineup decisions so far. I understand trying to establish a set lineup, but you also have to try and put your team in a solid position to win games. Tough call for Ventura right now

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

It has nothing to do with being nice. It is all about finding out who is going to be their players going forward. You don't know that in ten games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
It has nothing to do with being nice. It is all about finding out who is going to be their players going forward. You don't know that in ten games.

In April, I'm in win mode. Forget the "who is in our 2013/2014 plans" stuff.

The lineup should be the players that give you the best chance to win today's game. Obviously, you have to give guys a day off here and there, but even after 8-10 games, it's obvious Morel isn't the best option in the 2-spot. When he starts hitting at 8, then you may move him back. But for now, it's a bad move.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
In April, I'm in win mode. Forget the "who is in our 2013/2014 plans" stuff.

The lineup should be the players that give you the best chance to win today's game. Obviously, you have to give guys a day off here and there, but even after 8-10 games, it's obvious Morel isn't the best option in the 2-spot. When he starts hitting at 8, then you may move him back. But for now, it's a bad move.

That's the problem. That is the worst possible approach for where the franchise is at right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
That's the problem. That is the worst possible approach for where the franchise is at right now.

That's your opinion. I like this pitching staff. If the Sox can get to 4-5 runs, they can win games.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Morel is not a 2 hitter going forward. Put him at 8 or 9 and go from there.

Isn't it funny how so many people were saying that about A.J. and said Morel is the best fit out of the rest of the line-up . . . I agree Morel is doing awful at hitting, but the bunts are good - And, its April, we're probably at best a .500 ballclub to finish the year, and we currently are at .500.

Just give it time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

Easiest? Doesn't look that way to me. Started @ Texas, 2 @ CLE, 3 vs DET, and now 4 against a not-bad Orioles team.

And what's dumb is deciding to take a hitter that's in the .100's (which clearly he won't stay at), after 8 friggin games, and start scrambling the lineup. This is just not a reasonable sample size, at all. Not just for 2013, but for this year, you need to know who you have, and you simply don't know that yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)

Exactly.

This "It's only been 10 games" thing is bulls***. The reason the Sox crapped out the last two years is because they f***ed off in April and spent the rest of the season digging themselves out of a hole. Maybe it was an Ozzie thing maybe not, but as of right now, until they prove otherwise, winning in April is MASSIVELY important to the White Sox*

*Asssuming you believe they have a chance to compete.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
This "It's only been 10 games" thing is bulls***. The reason the Sox crapped out the last two years is because they f***ed off in April and spent the rest of the season digging themselves out of a hole. Maybe it was an Ozzie thing maybe not, but as of right now, until they prove otherwise, winning in April is MASSIVELY important to the White Sox*

Which no one did.

I was thinking that I'd love to see Rios get a shot at leading off and De Aza batting 2nd. De Aza does a real good job of taking pitches, and it would also open up the hole for him between 1st and 2nd (De Aza pulls a ton of grounders in that direction) a lot more than it does when he's batting after Beckham does. Also, Konerko should be batting 3rd, as you have to get him as many at bats as possible.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

The 2011 team was much more experienced, and had a roster expected to compete in the post-season. This year has a bunch of unknowns, no expectation to compete, a much cheaper and thinner roster, and new management. They are not comparable.

Also, your own examples shows you why you are off base. In 2011, the team started their first 10-12 games with a BETTER record than this one... THEN fell off a cliff.

If this team is going to compete, it has to have its younger players develop and produce, and they simply can't do that when you are moving them around ane benching them after playing 8 games. If they are NOT going to compete, then play the kids anyway and see what they can do. Either way, making wholesale changes at this point makes zero sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
I was thinking that I'd love to see Rios get a shot at leading off and De Aza batting 2nd. De Aza does a real good job of taking pitches, and it would also open up the hole for him between 1st and 2nd (De Aza pulls a ton of grounders in that direction) a lot more than it does when he's batting after Beckham does. Also, Konerko should be batting 3rd, as you have to get him as many at bats as possible.

I don't know about Rios leading off, but De Aza in the 2nd slot is intriguing as a future possibility. I just don't see any real leadoff hitters in the lineup right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
If this team is going to compete, it has to have its younger players develop and produce, and they simply can't do that when you are moving them around ane benching them after playing 8 games. If they are NOT going to compete, then play the kids anyway and see what they can do. Either way, making wholesale changes at this point makes zero sense.

You make some good points there. The biggest issue I have with everything going on is that Morel just doesn't seem like a good fit as a 2nd hitter no matter what. His approach seems to have been impacted as well, as he's taking more pitches earlier in the count and then chasing pitches way out of the zone. Morel did nothing last season to suggest he shouldn't be an 8 or 9 hitter for the next few years, but unfortunately seems like the Sox are trying to force him into the spot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't know about Rios leading off, but De Aza in the 2nd slot is intriguing as a future possibility. I just don't see any real leadoff hitters in the lineup right now.

I agree. He really gets deep into counts and can handle the bat. We just have no real lead off hitters. I get the feeling if we stuck Rios there, he would go Nick Swisher on us and have a mental breakdown.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
I agree. He really gets deep into counts and can handle the bat. We just have no real lead off hitters. I get the feeling if we stuck Rios there, he would go Nick Swisher on us and have a mental breakdown.

And that's worse than what we've seen from him for the over a year and a half now? Nothing else is working with him, might as well try and let him reinvent himself as a stolen base threat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
You make some good points there. The biggest issue I have with everything going on is that Morel just doesn't seem like a good fit as a 2nd hitter no matter what. His approach seems to have been impacted as well, as he's taking more pitches earlier in the count and then chasing pitches way out of the zone. Morel did nothing last season to suggest he shouldn't be an 8 or 9 hitter for the next few years, but unfortunately seems like the Sox are trying to force him into the spot.

Seems like the Sox have been trying to force somebody into that spot for quite some time. I guess I'm ok leaving it this way for a while...after all it is only 9 games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)

That, to me, is the best argument for taking him out of that slot. Not because of the slow start. He's got SOME 2 slot hitter skills (uses all fields, looks at some pitches, can bunt), but he doesn't get on base a lot, and strikes out a fair amount. And I have noticed too, he seems awfully hesitant up there, and maybe that's because of his slotting. Robin even said, I think yesterday, Brent needs to go in there and let it fly. That probably makes him the better hitter we saw late last year, but may not be a good fit at #2.

De Aza might work well there, but then who leads off? AJ works OK there, not great but OK... but he's been so good at #5 so far I'd be hesitant to move him.