4/18/12 Game Thread - O's @ White Sox

hogan873

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
That, to me, is the best argument for taking him out of that slot. Not because of the slow start. He's got SOME 2 slot hitter skills (uses all fields, looks at some pitches, can bunt), but he doesn't get on base a lot, and strikes out a fair amount. And I have noticed too, he seems awfully hesitant up there, and maybe that's because of his slotting. Robin even said, I think yesterday, Brent needs to go in there and let it fly. That probably makes him the better hitter we saw late last year, but may not be a good fit at #2.

De Aza might work well there, but then who leads off? AJ works OK there, not great but OK... but he's been so good at #5 so far I'd be hesitant to move him.

Wierd thing is...Brent Morel hasn't been a high strikeout guy in the minors. A full season he's averaged ~75. Last year, if he'd gotten 600 PA's, he'd have been right about that number. This year, he's on a pace for 225 K's over 600 PA's.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
And that's worse than what we've seen from him for the over a year and a half now? Nothing else is working with him, might as well try and let him reinvent himself as a stolen base threat.

The more he runs, the worse he is. He is best when he is selective.

We should be thinking of the long haul. Cn we compete all season long? You don't know that two weeks into the season. We lost three games in a row. OK,but we have 152 left. Let's give the struggling players a chance to turn it around

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't know about Rios leading off, but De Aza in the 2nd slot is intriguing as a future possibility. I just don't see any real leadoff hitters in the lineup right now.

KONERKO ! :ph34r:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
We should be thinking of the long haul. Cn we compete all season long? You don't know that two weeks into the season. We lost three games in a row. OK,but we have 152 left. Let's give the struggling players a chance to turn it around

I agree, but look at what we're seeing. It's like the beginning of last year again. Dunn is struggling, Rios is struggling (although he looks better so far), the closer blew a save followed by a mega-meltdown of the bullpen, Danks has one bad inning and the offense can't answer...

It's scary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
I was thinking that I'd love to see Rios get a shot at leading off and De Aza batting 2nd. De Aza does a real good job of taking pitches, and it would also open up the hole for him between 1st and 2nd (De Aza pulls a ton of grounders in that direction) a lot more than it does when he's batting after Beckham does. Also, Konerko should be batting 3rd, as you have to get him as many at bats as possible.

Why in the world would you want to rely on Rios for anything?

Giving him in theory an extra at bad is ridiculous.

If the Sox would just release him and play others it might actually spark the team.

That pickoff last night was my last straw with that lousy ballplayer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Other than your new coinphrase, "extra at bad" (was that intentional?), which is fun, Rios is going nowhere.

Yeah with him it's an extra at bad.

Same as Adam.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
I agree, but look at what we're seeing. It's like the beginning of last year again. Dunn is struggling, Rios is struggling (although he looks better so far), the closer blew a save followed by a mega-meltdown of the bullpen, Danks has one bad inning and the offense can't answer...

It's scary.

I know how you feel. I was thinking the same thing especially with the 9th & 10th innig meltdown, but got to think posiitve

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
Somebody help me. Do any of you know how to listen to the game online without paying for some subscription?

:gosox2:

I know of some stream sites where you could watch it...don't think there is a way to listen though...at least without having to pay for it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

It's scary.

And don't forget about the misplays in the outfield...also reminders of last season.