4/19/12 Game Thread - O's @ White Sox

hogan873

Theo Epstein has ruined (or is in the process) of ruining 2 organizations (Cubs swept by Marlins).

He might go down as the Alan Greenspan of GM's. From almost mythic hero status to dastardly villain and symbolic of excess.

Floyd hanging more and more pitches, Zach Stewart massacre coming soon.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
And then we'll all be overconfident about how good our pitching staff is until we face another real major league line-up, like the Red Sox (despite no Ellsbury and Crawford).

In fairness, the Sox were pretty good vs. the Tigers. The Baltimore series has been a grind though. Even when the O's don't score they put some fear into us with baserunners and hard outs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
And then we'll all be overconfident about how good our pitching staff is until we face another real major league line-up, like the Red Sox (despite no Ellsbury and Crawford).

Of all things, the pitching staff is the least of out concerns.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Theo Epstein has ruined (or is in the process) of ruining 2 organizations (Cubs swept by Marlins).

He might go down as the Alan Greenspan of GM's. From almost mythic hero status to dastardly villain and symbolic of excess.

I didn't know the Cubs were trying to compete this year.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
In fairness, the Sox were pretty good vs. the Tigers. The Baltimore series has been a grind though. Even when the O's don't score they put some fear into us with baserunners and hard outs.

Those two games we won, almost every possible break went our way.

Just the opposite for three of these games. Baseball always tends to even out, especially when you're just an average team.

DeAza's been the equivalent of Juan Pierre in CF, to the point where anything we've gotten offensively has been offset by mistakes defensively.

That and the fact we were fortunate to face them without Verlander and Fister, too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Of all things, the pitching staff is the least of out concerns.

Not concerned. What I mean is the opposite.

If we throw a bunch of shutouts or dominate from a pitching standpoint, it will be 50% because of those stadiums, the woeful line-ups and the cold April weather.

Somebody better not serve up a cookie to Cespedes, but Gavin will probably manage it next week.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Those two games we won, almost every possible break went our way.

Just the opposite for three of these games. Baseball always tends to even out, especially when you're just an average team.

DeAza's been the equivalent of Juan Pierre in CF, to the point where anything we've gotten offensively has been offset by mistakes defensively.

That and the fact we were fortunate to face them without Verlander and Fister, too.

Fister and Verlander wouldn't have anything to do with how well our pitchers looked against the Tigers line-up.

De Aza's D in center has been really disappointing...I agree.

The most exciting thing about the remainder of this game is seeing if we can manage 10,000 in attendance when they announce it.

Chavez is still a VERY good outfielder. Great recovery there.

My guess would be 11,836.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
The most exciting thing about the remainder of this game is seeing if we can manage 10,000 in attendance when they announce it.

This is sad. Our hitters have struck out like 10 times total today. What is it with these guys? But, even if we lose we are at .500 however there is still some innings left today

Just seems like no matter how Ventura configures the lineup, there are 3 guys in it you just know have no chance to contribute that day. Lillibridge should never start against RHP, and still not sure why Escobar is in the majors. Oh well, maybe we can get two guys on and let our best hitter PH today (and no, I don't mean Morel).

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Just seems like no matter how Ventura configures the lineup, there are 3 guys in it you just know have no chance to contribute that day. Lillibridge should never start against RHP, and still not sure why Escobar is in the majors. Oh well, maybe we can get two guys on and let our best hitter PH today (and no, I don't mean Morel).

Too bad we didn't have him in that first inning to blow the game wide open...but at 35 he can't play everyday, clearly.

Amazing how the fortunes of the Dodgers have turned so much in the last 18-24 months.

Let's hope that we can somehow replicate that turnaround.

Andino, Red Sox killer, strikes again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)

Viciedo has not looked all that good either. But, they all have potential to break out

I am cocnerned aout the number of home runs the pitchers give up and the number of wiffs by our hitters

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
Just seems like no matter how Ventura configures the lineup, there are 3 guys in it you just know have no chance to contribute that day.

Overall lack of talent on the roster. This isn't aimed at you, but I think all of us (me included) are going to spend 150 games finding creative ways of phrasing that problem.

Overall lack of talent on the roster.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Overall lack of talent on the roster. This isn't aimed at you, but I think all of us (me included) are going to spend 150 games finding creative ways of phrasing that problem.

Overall lack of talent on the roster.

Very well said...all of Kenny's horrible trades/lack of MLB caliber players in return have really drained this organization. Let's just hope Molina and Castro can build on their recent outings.

Viciedo and Beckham are definitely TALENTED guys. Whether they fulfill that potential, who knows.

Same thing with Dunn and Rios, Alexei, Paulie....AJ has always been a good hitter.

Morel and DeAza, they're much bigger question marks. AAA players or major league back-ups or starters for bad teams.