4/19/12 Game Thread - O's @ White Sox

hogan873

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
I'm still kinda shocked that Ventura didn't have Fukudome bat for Escobar. Never a good thing to have the worst two players on your roster (Stewart and Escobar) play important roles in a close game.

Fukudome is also good at drawing a walk, which Escobar most precisely is not.

Before everyone blames Rios for not running (which most will do), blame him for looking at a pitch that close with 2 strikes. It's not natural for a hitter to run to 1st after a strike out where he didn't even swing the bat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
For those that couldn't see the 9th, what happened with Rios?

Bases loaded, 1-2 count, he takes a breaking ball off the outside corner, called a strike. Paulino drops the ball and it bounces away. Rios argues the call at home instead of trying to run to 1st.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Before everyone blames Rios for not running (which most will do), blame him for looking at a pitch that close with 2 strikes. It's not natural for a hitter to run to 1st after a strike out where he didn't even swing the bat.

+1

These hitters have done just a terrible job of protecting with 2 strikes. If I didn't know better, I would have thought Pods is our new hitting coach.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm still kinda shocked that Ventura didn't have Fukudome bat for Escobar. Never a good thing to have the worst two players on your roster (Stewart and Escobar) play important roles in a close game.

Very questionable letting Escobar lead off that inning.

I'm not overly angry that the Sox lost today. They simply didn't deserve to win. On the plus side the Sox didn't have to use Thornton, Reed or Crain. Bullpen should be in good shape for the weekend.