Time to Move Rios

Marty34

I would leave Rios in right. He seems very comfortable there.

As for the lineup, the Dunn-Konerko-AJ-Rios sequence seems to be working very well right now. Either find somebody else to replace Morel at #2, or just move the entire group up one spot in the order. They get the comfort of saying in the same sequence but just up one spot in the lineup.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Rios way more comfortable in RF, started hitting too, why would you wanna mess with that?

This. The guy was legendary bad at the plate last year, and played a terrible CF on top of that. This year he is hitting well, and playing at least a solid RF at this point. The guy is a known headcase on top of it all. Why risk putting him back into 2011 mode? Leave Rios alone, and ride what you have got. Pray that he recovers enough to get someone interested in him, even if it is for nothing else than taking that contract.

If he regresses and circles the drain, then we can talk about a change.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 07:31 AM)
Didn't Rios misplay a ball in right field already this year?

Yes, but that was one that hit his glove and fell out because of his pretty boy nonchalant posing. It had nothing to do with positioning.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
But my point being, what's to say he doesn't do the same thing in center field?

The odds of it happening again are almost nil.

And even if he did, what the heck does that have to do with positioning? We're talking about who will get to balls better in center field...what you're pointing out has nothing to do with that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
The odds of it happening again are almost nil.

You could have said the same thing about him last year in CF when it happened to him twice. Over the last year and 12 games, I've seen more White Sox outfielders drop flyballs than I've seen major leaguers drop them my entire lifetime. Pierre dropped a couple. De Aza. Its crazy. I did see Ron Kittle drop one in LF once, and Ron LeFlore take one off the head for a 4 base error(It knocked him out, or at least make him a very lightheaded), but don't remember the rash of drops the Sox OFs have made since the beginning of last year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
You could have said the same thing about him last year in CF when it happened to him twice. Over the last year and 12 games, I've seen more White Sox outfielders drop flyballs than I've seen major leaguers drop them my entire lifetime. Pierre dropped a couple. De Aza. Its crazy. I did see Ron Kittle drop one in LF once, and Ron LeFlore take one off the head for a 4 base error(It knocked him out, or at least make him a very lightheaded), but don't remember the rash of drops the Sox OFs have made since the beginning of last year.

Ok, whatever Dick....perhaps the odds are not nil.

The point is that has nothing to do with his positioning...That is something entirely different.

Or is this tee ball where we can hide the guy that can't catch in left?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 06:53 AM)
I would leave Rios in right. He seems very comfortable there.

As for the lineup, the Dunn-Konerko-AJ-Rios sequence seems to be working very well right now. Either find somebody else to replace Morel at #2, or just move the entire group up one spot in the order. They get the comfort of saying in the same sequence but just up one spot in the lineup.

Looking at career stats...the obvious replacement is Alexei Ramirez. :headbang

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

The point is that has nothing to do with his positioning...That is something entirely different.

The Sox appear to be loaded with OF who have a tough time catching the ball, The main reasons Rios was moved from CF were he was more comfortable in RF and he was struggling in CF. His route taking was about as bad as it gets. I don't think they would move him back even if De Aza suffered a season ending injury. The Sox found out the hard way he is not a CF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

Silly, everyone knows you hide T-Ball duds in Right Field and then put on a shift when the big lefty kid comes up.

Looking at Rios over the years he played in CF, and even having watched him be less than stellar there last year, I'd prefer him in CF over De Aza. I wish they had gone with De Aza - Rios - Viciedo, instead of Viciedo - De Aza - Rios. But now that De Aza is there, hopefully he improves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Yes, but that was one that hit his glove and fell out because of his pretty boy nonchalant posing. It had nothing to do with positioning.

So DeAza leads Rios 2-1 in dropped fly balls. Big deal on a team going nowhere.

Leave Rios in right field where he can live out the rest of his horrendous contract.

DeAza has potential to improve in CF and is hitting well just as things are. Rios stunk up CF last year and is playing RF well when he stays awake this year, with the added benefit of being better at the plate. Rios has no future other than finishing a contract, so minimize the damage with him and see what DeAza can do in an extended run in CF and leading off. I'd like to think the White Sox are playing for this year. Sadly, it's really about living 2013 with a bit of excitement as we then look to 2014 void of albatross contracts.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
I'm fairly convinced that De Aza can't play CF. The routes he's taken on some of the balls this year have been wow-bad and he doesn't have the pure speed to make up for it. Yes, Rios had a rough year last year, but in my view he's a far better option in center.

You don't mess with success. Just as Thornton shouldn't have been used as a closer you keep Rios in right.