AJ wants to be back in 2013, not talking deal now

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...n-a-better.html

Even without a deal for next season, A.J. Pierzynski says he is ‘in a better spot’

BY DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN [email protected] April 19, 2012 8:48PM

Updated: April 20, 2012 2:34AM

A.J. Pierzynski has been down this road before. This time, the pavement is smoother, and every light he hits is green.

When the White Sox catcher was entering a contract year two seasons ago, he wanted badly to extend his career on the South Side, and he took a wrong turn by taking it upon himself to prove his worth. It was the wrong approach, and his performance on the field suffered for it.

Pierzynski, 35, wants to come back in 2013 and he’s playing like he’s on a mission to prove it with a .400 average, .829 slugging percentage, four homers and 13 RBI that rank among the American League leaders. Never regarded as the best throwing catcher in baseball — the Sox ranked last in steals allowed last year — Pierzynski has thrown out two of three would-be base stealers in the first 12 games.

“Mentally I’m in a better spot,’’ Pierzynski told the Sun-Times on Thursday. “Last time [two years ago] I wanted to really come back here — not that I still don’t. We had some conversations about a contract during spring training, and it didn’t go very well and it put me in a bad mind-set going into the season.’’

And into a poor start.

“Looking back I wish we hadn’t even talked about it,’’ Pierzynski said. “This year we didn’t talk about it and professionally and personally I’m in a better spot. I’m trying to enjoy the year and not worry about other things.’’

Pierzynski was close to becoming a Los Angeles Dodger when chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, a big fan of the catcher whose seven seasons in a Sox uniform included the 2005 World Series championship, agreed to a two-year, $8 million contract that pays $6 million this year.

The Sox are in a different mode now, trimming payroll, blending in younger talent and looking to the future. Tyler Flowers, who started in the Sox’ 5-3 loss to the Orioles on Thursday, is the heir apparent catcher earning one-twelfth the money Pierzynski makes.

All of which makes it possible that this could be the fan favorite’s last hurrah on the South Side.

“I don’t know the answer to that question,’’ Pierzynski said. “I obviously want to come back here and finish my career here, but at the same time the team has to want you back, too. I feel like if it happens that would be great. That’s what I would want. But at the same time, I understand if it doesn’t work out, then I had a great time here.

“Will I miss it? Of course, but hopefully there will be another team that thinks I can play.’’

The Sox aren’t exactly showing him the door. But they are in no rush to commit this soon, either.

“A.J. has been a valuable guy from the day he put on a Sox uniform,’’ general manager Ken Williams told the Sun-Times. “I truly feel he is one guy that other players feed off his energy and commitment to win. He knows that our best chance to win is if everyone is focused on that day’s game and nothing else. That is the goal and focus, and matters involving 2013 are tabled in the interest of a distraction-free environment.’’

Pierzynski said during SoxFest that he has nothing left to prove. A two-time All-Star who is the only active catcher to reach 1,000 innings for 10 consecutive seasons (he went on the disabled list for the first time last season), he’s probably right.

“The way things happened in spring training [two years ago] I went into it thinking I had to prove to them that I deserve to come back instead of just going out and playing and do what I can do,’’ he said. “And I got off to a bad start and it snowballed from there.’’

Pierzynski continues to be ­lauded by coaches and teammates for his work ethic and preparation. With nothing to prove, he goes about his business as if he has a lot to prove.

“My motivation is to go out and play,’’ he said. “I love baseball, I love playing the game and the competition of it. The motivation is to keep playing. I don’t know anything else. This is all I’ve done my whole life.’’

No thanks.

I want a defense first catcher now. Sick of all these pass balls and wild pitches going by AJ that a better catcher would have stopped.

So many strike out's where the batter reaches these last few seasons

I also want a catcher who can throw guys out. AJ has actually been pretty good this season so far, but that has been one of his biggest knocks.

While AJ might have better numbers in regards to blocking the ball, but man it seems like the dropped third strike has cost them so many games.

Makes no sense if we continue to shed players like Floyd or Crain or Thornton.

Not sure if he'd go for a one-year deal, but offering two years at his age and with his wear and tear would be asking for lots of trouble, especially if he was in a year where he was struggling or had to be benched.

Let's see where we are at the end of July. We'll have a lot clearer idea of the direction of the franchise at that point, in terms of possibly being able to compete in 2013 or not.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
No problem on my end. I'd love to see him retire with the Sox, as long as we're working Flowers in over time.

This, keep on limiting his role as a starter, allowing Flowers to be the catcher until Josh Phegley is ready.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
This, keep on limiting his role as a starter, allowing Flowers to be the catcher until Josh Phegley is ready.

AJ Pierzynski is not going to want to spend more time on the bench unless he's on the disabled list. We ought to know that by now.

I thought this was interesting from yesterday's game recap:

Since 2003, White Sox pitchers lead the majors with 801 quality starts.

AJ calls a great game and has had a lot to do with the success of the pitching staff since he's arrived. Almost every outing, pitchers are praising him for that.

I would like to see him brought back.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
I also want a catcher who can throw guys out. AJ has actually been pretty good this season so far, but that has been one of his biggest knocks.

While AJ might have better numbers in regards to blocking the ball, but man it seems like the dropped third strike has cost them so many games.

Throwing guys out has more to do with the pitchers than the catcher. AJ could be shooting the ball out of a 22 but when the runner on 1st gets a 2 second head start, not even a gun is going to get those runners out.

He deserves some blame, not all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Throwing guys out has more to do with the pitchers than the catcher. AJ could be shooting the ball out of a 22 but when the runner on 1st gets a 2 second head start, not even a gun is going to get those runners out.

He deserves some blame, not all.

Sounds like they have really worked on the slide step, especially for Gavin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Sounds like they have really worked on the slide step, especially for Gavin.

He's been working on that for a few years but every time he'd go to it he'd miss the strike zone badly and wind up walking the guy.