4/22/12 GT Sox @ Mariners 3:10pm, CSN

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Which by definition means it's not just random baseball luck. You're now talking issues of physical and mental preparation.

Yes coaching helps. Yes it can make small amounts of differences. But besides Coop and his pitchers, coaches don't usually make bad players into good players. I completely believe in the law of averages in baseball. looking at his career stats, the probability that he has a better season this year is VERY high, because decent ballplayers don't just turn into awful ballplayers. and for the last two seasons to even out into his career averages, he's probably going to be much better this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
If Rios or Dunn play their way to the point another team would take their contract KW shouls be willing to accept a minimal return.

on Rios maybe. you hang onto Dunn.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
on Rios maybe. you hang onto Dunn.

Honestly...no I wouldn't. Not with where this team is right now. If you can clear that extra $25 million and get rid of the risk of those guys doing nothing next year...I might let them go even if in first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
Honestly...no I wouldn't. Not with where this team is right now. If you can clear that extra $25 million and get rid of the risk of those guys doing nothing next year...I might let them go even if in first place.

you really don't buy Dunn bouncing back? I honestly see him hitting 30+ homers this year with a .850+ OPS. No reason to think he can't do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)

If we're in first place in July and Rios and Dunn are both hitting, it's absurd to trade either of them. That's telling your fans they can go f*** themselves.

Crain and Thornton warming.

God, Konerko is ungodly slow. Great throw by Casper Wells, throw definitely beat him. Dunn and Konerko both not sliding in key situations.

That ball he pulled off his right foot seems to be slowing him down even more than usual.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
you really don't buy Dunn bouncing back? I honestly see him hitting 30+ homers this year with a .850+ OPS. No reason to think he can't do it.

Even if he was hitting like that...yeah, I'd still be more than willing to let him go. The White Sox paid a premium price for him to try to compete last year. They failed in that effort, so it's hard for me to figure out how paying a premium price for a DH who is 2 years older for the next 2 years could be any sort of good idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Even if he was hitting like that...yeah, I'd still be more than willing to let him go. The White Sox paid a premium price for him to try to compete last year. They failed in that effort, so it's hard for me to figure out how paying a premium price for a DH who is 2 years older for the next 2 years could be any sort of good idea.

because without him we have NO lineup. honestly. NONE. what better option do we have?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
If we're in first place in July and Rios and Dunn are both hitting, it's absurd to trade either of them. That's telling your fans they can go f*** themselves.

Well, unfortunately, you know that wouldn't be the first time with this franchise. I know it wouldn't happen, so we wouldn't have to worry about it, but yeah, if I were in the GM slot, I'd take my team out of contention to clear those 2 contracts. THat'd leave the Sox with >$50 million to spend on the FA market next offseason just to get back to this level of salary. That's the kind of money that could put Cano into this lineup and Hamels into the rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Well, unfortunately, you know that wouldn't be the first time with this franchise. I know it wouldn't happen, so we wouldn't have to worry about it, but yeah, if I were in the GM slot, I'd take my team out of contention to clear those 2 contracts. THat'd leave the Sox with >$50 million to spend on the FA market next offseason just to get back to this level of salary. That's the kind of money that could put Cano into this lineup and Hamels into the rotation.

just to spend on more big name free agents who could inexplicably blow up?

come on.