4/22/12 GT Sox @ Mariners 3:10pm, CSN

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Well, unfortunately, you know that wouldn't be the first time with this franchise. I know it wouldn't happen, so we wouldn't have to worry about it, but yeah, if I were in the GM slot, I'd take my team out of contention to clear those 2 contracts. THat'd leave the Sox with >$50 million to spend on the FA market next offseason just to get back to this level of salary. That's the kind of money that could put Cano into this lineup and Hamels into the rotation.

It's really tough...the thing that makes it tough is its a new coaching regime...you'd like to give them a chance to actually win...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
It's really tough...the thing that makes it tough is its a new coaching regime...you'd like to give them a chance to actually win...

I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but I wrote in December that if Dunn and Rios (and Peavy) were successful enough that you could move them without having to eat too much of the $100 million remaining on their deals, you just have to do it...and being close to contention isn't going to change that. THat's just how I feel about this team. I'll enjoy the wins, but I'm still focused on getting where we need to be in 2013-2014, and clearing those 2 contracts would be the biggest help we could do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but I wrote in December that if Dunn and Rios (and Peavy) were successful enough that you could move them without having to eat too much of the $100 million remaining on their deals, you just have to do it...and being close to contention isn't going to change that. THat's just how I feel about this team. I'll enjoy the wins, but I'm still focused on getting where we need to be in 2013-2014, and clearing those 2 contracts would be the biggest help we could do.

I understand...but what's to say they don't continue the success? Are you saying they can't win even with these guys producing?