4/22/12 GT Sox @ Mariners 3:10pm, CSN

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
Hawk knows who butters his bread
True. If you want to know what the brass thinks Hawk will let you know. He got run out of Boston for being too blunt and abrasive on the air and learned his lesson. You're not going to have broadcasters like Bob Prince and Harry Caray (pre Cubs) who aren't afraid to criticize the team they broadcast for.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)
You can carry them as long as we win. Give them time to work through their issues. I see good things coming from those guys. Look at how folks including me were screaming about Dunn and Rios

I see nothing good from Morel. Beckham's at least swinging aggressively.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
we got career years out of uribe, iguchi, pods, and the entire bullpen and rotation.

Really, no we didn't. Uribe had a vastly better 2004. Podsednik had a great year in 2003 and was still well down from there, and was almost worthless in the 2nd half. The Bullpen and rotation...yes...but not anyone in the lineup other than the Captain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
I didn't think so. I loved that roster coming into the season and had many drunken rants to that effect. That was the most complete roster the Sox had sported any year since 1994.

I agree. I was cautiously optimistic going into 2005.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
I know you have Extra Innings as well...I haven't seen anyone I'm afraid of other than Texas...

The Tigers are going to be supertough, though....if Smyly keeps pitching like he has so far.

Other than Hamilton's ability to hit anyone's fastball, pretty much untouched.

Still, that Tigers line-up has a few more holes than the Rangers or even the Yankees...and Valverde's been much more vulnerable already season...not to mention the fans have completely turned on Brandon Inge. He used to be a cult hero there, now he's a goat/villain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Really, no we didn't. Uribe had a vastly better 2004. Podsednik had a great year in 2003 and was still well down from there, and was almost worthless in the 2nd half. The Bullpen and rotation...yes...but not anyone in the lineup other than the Captain.

And Dye, if you look at where he was in his career. Iguchi, nobody knew what to expect, he probably outperformed, technically.

Of course, if you remember, Jermaine was supercold the first couple of months that season, then really took off.

AJ was pretty good that season, too.

Crede was his normal self, Rowand also didn't have one of his better years offensively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)

eh i wasn't looking and it was 7 years ago. but supports my point even better. middling, middling offense and great pitching. Our bullpen is as good as 05 and our rotation could be. plug in a resurgent Dunn and Rios, and if you're contending midseason, you have to go for it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Angels will get things going soon, in my opinion.

Yeah, absolutely...

But if we pitch like we're capable of, we'll shut down just about everyone...Texas is the only offense that honestly just scares me...Tigers, Yanks, Angels included...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
eh i wasn't looking and it was 7 years ago. but supports my point even better. middling, middling offense and great pitching. Our bullpen is as good as 05 and our rotation could be. plug in a resurgent Dunn and Rios, and if you're contending midseason, you have to go for it.

This site is usually overly negative but as a whole we were pretty damn optimistic going into 05.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
I agree. I was cautiously optimistic going into 2005.
So was I. Podsednik completely changed the dynamic of the team. Within a month I thought they had a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Yeah, absolutely...

But if we pitch like we're capable of, we'll shut down just about everyone...Texas is the only offense that honestly just scares me...Tigers, Yanks, Angels included...

I agree, except I'd put the Yanks up there with Texas with regards to offense.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
This site is usually overly negative but as a whole we were pretty damn optimistic going into 05.

but don't you guys get that we're only overly negative this year because of Dunn and Rios. IF - and it's a decently sized if - they're hitting well come midseason, then what flaws do we HAVE?

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
True. If you want to know what the brass thinks Hawk will let you know. He got run out of Boston for being too blunt and abrasive on the air and learned his lesson. You're not going to have broadcasters like Bob Prince and Harry Caray (pre Cubs) who aren't afraid to criticize the team they broadcast for.

I remember those guys. Harry and Jimmy Piersall were too honest about things they were seeing on the field

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
The term "it's always darkest before dawn" is what the "glass half full" person would say when looking at Beckham. He's never looked worse.

I thought he looked worse last year when he was chasing every pitch and could only hit a hanging curve.

I thought coming into the year that if the Sox were bad we were gonna know it QUICK. Well, 15 games in and this team isn't bad. There were so many questions coming in, but 70% of those questions have come back with positive results.

Question marks coming in:

Bullpen=Good

Dunn=Good

Rios=Good

Beckham=bad

Morel=bad

Robin=Good

Viciedo=no so good yet

Sale=Good

Humber=Good

A lot of the questions have been answered already.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
but don't you guys get that we're only overly negative this year because of Dunn and Rios. IF - and it's a decently sized if - they're hitting well come midseason, then what flaws do we HAVE?

Bottom of the order

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
I thought coming into the year that if the Sox were bad we were gonna know it QUICK. Well, 15 games in and this team isn't bad. There were so many questions coming in, but 70% of those questions have come back with positive results.

Question marks coming in:

Bullpen=Good

Dunn=Good

Rios=Good

Beckham=bad

Morel=bad

Robin=Good

Viciedo=no so good yet

Sale=Good

Humber=Good

A lot of the questions have been answered already.

and with only 3 pieces not working - that's a playoff caliber club. every team has a couple terrible hitters