Alex Rios getting it done.

macsandz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This, along with Adam Dunn makes it feel like an entirely different team than last year. I'm of the belief that hitting coaches serve little purpose other than being a fall guy if the team is struggling, but if this keeps up, Jeff Manto gets a statue. Not even on the concourse or in front of the park. In the field of play like Monument Park used to be.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I've always maintained faith in the guy - even though he would piss me off from time to time.

I hated to see how people called him a slacker and said that he wasn't really trying or didn't care etc. How do we as fans know what he does or how hard he works at becoming a better baseball player?

Ales Rios isn't, and never has been, .900+ OPS good. I really hate April stats. We're still at the point that one or two games, good or bad, can dramatically impact your overall numbers. Alex's OPS coming into today was .782. He looks better. There's some encouraging signs. But other than the first half of '10, he's been a very bad baseball player for the White Sox. Get back to me in a month.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Ales Rios isn't, and never has been, .900+ OPS good. I really hate April stats. We're still at the point that one or two games, good or bad, can dramatically impact your overall numbers. Alex's OPS coming into today was .782. He looks better. There's some encouraging signs. But other than the first half of '10, he's been a very bad baseball player for the White Sox. Get back to me in a month.

I only like small sample sizes when it's good for the Sox so hooray for Rios and keep the train a rollin !

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
I only like small sample sizes when it's good for the Sox so hooray for Rios and keep the train a rollin !

I'm not sure that Rios ever had a stretch of games this good last year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
I'm not sure that Rios ever had a stretch of games this good last year.

He had a 7 game hitting streak in June last year where his OPS jumped 42 points, but he only had 5 RBI in that stretch. But he's currently on a 10 game hitting streak, driving in runs and getting some clutch hits.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
He had a 7 game hitting streak in June last year where his OPS jumped 42 points, but he only had 5 RBI in that stretch. But he's currently on a 10 game hitting streak, driving in runs and getting some clutch hits.

I really am not even caught up in the numbers...the great thing to see is that he is hitting the ball to the opposite field...and really driving it...that is a great thing for him, as last year he was just a dead pull hitter for the entire season. Over the course of the last 5 games or so, he's had several opposite field hits, a few for extra bases. That means he's seeing the ball well, he's going with pitches over the outer half of the plate instead of rolling over them weakly, and that makes him much, much harder to pitch to.

I really think he is the key to our offense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
I really am not even caught up in the numbers...the great thing to see is that he is hitting the ball to the opposite field...and really driving it...that is a great thing for him, as last year he was just a dead pull hitter for the entire season. Over the course of the last 5 games or so, he's had several opposite field hits, a few for extra bases. That means he's seeing the ball well, he's going with pitches over the outer half of the plate instead of rolling over them weakly, and that makes him much, much harder to pitch to.

I really think he is the key to our offense.

I like this post. I agree. I had noticed a lot of the same things. His .900 OPS really doesn't mean anything. Because we all know he's not that good overall. Colby Rasmus' OPS went up, like, 150 points after his 2 HR game Saturday.

On the other hand, it can be useful as simply an indicator of progress.

Last year, he was mired in the 500's and low 600's for OPS much of the season.

Of course, he hit amazingly well the first 2-3 months of 2010 and it didn't last for the whole year.

That said, any positive signs of progress have to looked on skeptically until he proves he can sustain it.

But yeah....that triple to the RCF gap, usually he would roll his wrists over and it would have ended up being pulled to the SS on the ground for an easy 6-3 PO or a made-to-order GIDP.

It's going to be very difficult to every move Alex because he's probably going to be either so bad you can't move him without eating his salary or the White Sox will be playing so well it would seem counterproductive to trade him...especially with Viciedo struggling out of the gate and no minor league replacements in sight...and no, Lillibridge can't be considered as an everyday OFer, nor can Fukudome.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:25 AM)
On the other hand, it can be useful as simply an indicator of progress.

Last year, he was mired in the 500's and low 600's for OPS much of the season.

Of course, he hit amazingly well the first 2-3 months of 2010 and it didn't last for the whole year.

That said, any positive signs of progress have to looked on skeptically until he proves he can sustain it.

But yeah....that triple to the RCF gap, usually he would roll his wrists over and it would have ended up being pulled to the SS on the ground for an easy 6-3 PO or a made-to-order GIDP.

It's going to be very difficult to every move Alex because he's probably going to be either so bad you can't move him without eating his salary or the White Sox will be playing so well it would seem counterproductive to trade him...especially with Viciedo struggling out of the gate and no minor league replacements in sight...and no, Lillibridge can't be considered as an everyday OFer, nor can Fukudome.

The minute Boston wants Alex Rios, you trade him.

The second Boston wants Alex Rios, you trade him.

Please call Boston now.

I only rip Alex here in response to your post. He's had a nice April and I applaud him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)

Please call Boston now.

I only rip Alex here in response to your post. He's had a nice April and I applaud him.

If Boston calls I try to pillage them for Rios & Floyd.

Boston's in no position to add the Rios contract since they are already dealing with Lackey, Dice-K (final year, thankfully), Crawford, Beckett, Ortiz, Youkilis, Pedroia, A-Gone, etc.

They couldn't even really legimately afford to keep Papelbon at the back of their pen for the numbers and years he was asking.

And I'm sure they have had to eat a decent part of Bryd's contract as well.

The one argument for Rios as opposed to National League or even AL West players is that he should be more familiar with the pitching staffs in that league and the ballparks...although things have changed quite a bit since 2009.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:30 AM)
Boston's in no position to add the Rios contract since they are already dealing with Lackey, Dice-K (final year, thankfully), Crawford, Beckett, Ortiz, Youkilis, Pedroia, A-Gone, etc.

They couldn't even really legimately afford to keep Papelbon at the back of their pen for the numbers and years he was asking.

The one argument for Rios as opposed to National League or even AL West players is that he should be more familiar with the pitching staffs in that league and the ballparks...although things have changed quite a bit since 2009.

But Boston is the greatest run franchise ever (because Theo is God) that can afford anything.

Theo is credited with Boston's string of success, but he inherited 90% of that team/farm pre-built to win and merely bought a few overpriced free agents to fill in the gaps. Quite reminiscent of the Black Hawks where Dale Tallon built the team, and Stan Bowman took credit for it. IMO, Theo is a fraud, and time will prove me right now that he has to do the building on his own.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)

Please call Boston now.

Neither Boston, nor New York, is ever going to call for Rios. They are too busy fighting to get under the new luxury tax.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:30 AM)

The Cubs picked up all but the pro-rated minimum.

I'd just like to add that I don't want to get rid of "this" Rios. We put up with the crap Rios for years, and it seems like he may be turning a corner...trading him wouldn't produce much of a trade because of his salary, so instead of getting nothing in return, I'd like to keep him if this is the version of him we will be getting. Waiting until he's playing good and then trading him would make me sick, especially if he stays good and some other teams gets to reap the benefits after the years of frustration we had to deal with. I'd sooner keep him because his contract would dictate little to no return in shedding him right now.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I'd just like to add that I don't want to get rid of "this" Rios. We put up with the crap Rios for years, and it seems like he may be turning a corner...trading him wouldn't produce much of a trade because of his salary, so instead of getting nothing in return, I'd like to keep him if this is the version of him we will be getting. Waiting until he's playing good and then trading him would make me sick, especially if he stays good and some other teams gets to reap the benefits after the years of frustration we had to deal with. I'd sooner keep him because his contract would dictate little to no return in shedding him right now.

Do you honestly believe you're going to keep the good, focused Rios around long-term after having 1 good half-season out of the previous 3?