Olney puts Sox in top 10 for power rankings

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Let's not get carried away.

If this is a sustained step forward for Mitchell, along with some development of Walker, not to mention Axelrod keeping where he is at, then we might be in business. That is a lot of ifs though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
If this is a sustained step forward for Mitchell, along with some development of Walker, not to mention Axelrod keeping where he is at, then we might be in business. That is a lot of ifs though.

And Molina and Castro having a couple good outings in a row, and Josh Phegley putting up a .956 OPS at Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
And Molina and Castro having a couple good outings in a row, and Josh Phegley putting up a .956 OPS at Charlotte.

Could we have a catcher controversy on our hands?

Could we flip one of these young catchers for a decent 3B/2B if we continue to stay in the race?

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Could we have a catcher controversy on our hands?

I don't think many are too concerned with backup catcher in the bigs right now given how much of a workhorse Mr. Pierzynski is, and AJ is rocking an OPS north of 1.000 in the Majors right now - so I'd say "no".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
I don't think many are too concerned with backup catcher in the bigs right now given how much of a workhorse Mr. Pierzynski is, and AJ is rocking an OPS north of 1.000 in the Majors right now - so I'd say "no".

Haha well AJ is certainly not going anywhere this year unless we collapse and sell everything. I was thinking more along the lines of next year's backup and/or starter depending on the variety of things that can affect that stuation (team's success, AJ's contract, Flowers' performance as backup, etc)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
how f***ing funny is it that everyone's clamoring to be the first to say "oh, no the sox are good, we knew that all along!" just so that at the end of the year people don't think they were all idiots.

We were sort of in a similar position at mid 2009.

We'd actually gotten to the playoffs the previous year, but you had Buehrle's no-hitter just like Humber's this weekend, all the Peavy talk, acquiring Alex Rios....but it all kind of fell apart.

Of course, the buzz this season isn't nearly what it was back then, but it's largely because everyone was so disheartened by last season...maybe we're all hoping against hope that things can be turned around in a single year and we can catch lightning in a bottle like 2000, 2005, 2008 or even mid-season of 2010.

It's not exactly unprecedented for the White Sox to surprise people when nobody's predicting success, or the opposite, to crash when they're the popular pick.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
how f***ing funny is it that everyone's clamoring to be the first to say "oh, no the sox are good, we knew that all along!" just so that at the end of the year people don't think they were all idiots.

You do realize these are WEEKLY rankings, right? They change ever week.

If anything, the White Sox should be somewhere in the middle 10 teams, 14th-16th seems pretty fair.

Beating Seattle or throwing a perfect game doesn't make your team jump 10+ spots magically in one day or weekend.

That's a bit of an overreaction or overcorrection.

Maybe a better indicator of belief is not the pundits/analysts but our attendance numbers. If they start to tick up from big walk-ups, that's always the best trailing indicator in terms of looking at how good the White Sox are actually going to be...if they can overcome the skepticism of their own fans and detractors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
If anything, the White Sox should be somewhere in the middle 10 teams, 14th-16th seems pretty fair.

Beating Seattle or throwing a perfect game doesn't make your team jump 10+ spots magically in one day or weekend.

That's a bit of an overreaction or overcorrection.

Maybe a better indicator of belief is not the pundits/analysts but our attendance numbers. If they start to tick up from big walk-ups, that's always the best trailing indicator in terms of looking at how good the White Sox are actually going to be...if they can overcome the skepticism of their own fans and detractors.

Competing with Texas in Texas (holding their offense down fairly well), beating Detroit 2/3, THEN sweeping Seattle in Seattle along with good starts from Dunn, Rios, Peavy, AJ, Paulie are why analysts like us so far.

The fans don't know s*** and that is literally the worst way to evaluate the team. That's asinine. I'm not going to pretend I evaluate every single team so I won't say definitively where we fall -- but 10 seems to be fair based on our performance so far.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Competing with Texas in Texas (holding their offense down fairly well), beating Detroit 2/3, THEN sweeping Seattle in Seattle along with good starts from Dunn, Rios, Peavy, AJ, Paulie are why analysts like us so far.

The fans don't know s*** and that is literally the worst way to evaluate the team. That's asinine. I'm not going to pretend I evaluate every single team so I won't say definitively where we fall -- but 10 seems to be fair based on our performance so far.

The Dodgers not being in the top 10 at 12-4 is rather suspect. But yeah, I don't see a problem with the Sox in the top 10. Other than the Orioles series, they've played good baseball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)

Well, most Sox fans are more educated than, say, Cubs' fans.

Until the product out on the field proves itself, sustains that success for an extended period of time....driving the bandwagon effect, that's when Sox fans will start to come out.

It's like those two Japanese dudes in MAJOR LEAGUE kept saying..."yeah, but they still suck" all the way through the season until they finally jumped on board at the end, too.

Except the fans' acceptance or embrace of a winning team will trail their actual performance by about 4-6 weeks.

It's only 7 games (four weeknight against an Orioles team nobody cares about or expects much from)...but we are 28th in the majors in attendance. That's not so easy to do.

The Royals, without having won a single game at home and with a 3-12 record, are still outdrawing us at home. Those are facts we can't argue with, incontrovertible. We can explain them or excuse them or rationalize them away...but they still exist on paper or on computer monitors.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Well, most Sox fans are more educated than, say, Cubs' fans.

Until the product out on the field proves itself, sustains that success for an extended period of time....driving the bandwagon effect, that's when Sox fans will start to come out.

It's like those two Japanese dudes in MAJOR LEAGUE kept saying..."yeah, but they still suck" all the way through the season until they finally jumped on board at the end, too.

Except the fans' acceptance or embrace of a winning team will trail their actual performance by about 4-6 weeks.

It's only 7 games (four weeknight against an Orioles team nobody cares about or expects much from)...but we are 28th in the majors in attendance. That's not so easy to do.

The Royals, without having won a single game at home and with a 3-12 record, are still outdrawing us at home. Those are facts we can't argue with, incontrovertible. We can explain them or excuse them or rationalize them away...but they still exist on paper or on computer monitors.

So basically what you're saying is..."I'll believe the Sox are for real when they have played more games" I, too, would have more faith if we played more games and were still playing winning baseball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
So basically what you're saying is..."I'll believe the Sox are for real when they have played more games" I, too, would have more faith if we played more games and were still playing winning baseball.

With how last season ended and hiring a rookie manager and letting Buehrle go expectations were low to start the season and it was the Baltimore Orioles..... I'll worry if the attendance is terrible when Red Sox come to town.