Mad Cow Disease found in California

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)

Much to do about nothing.

And we will, thanks for judging.

Edit: From the article itself, "Evidence shows that our systems and safeguards to prevent BSE are working, as are similar actions taken by countries around the world. In 2011, there were only 29 worldwide cases of BSE, a dramatic decline and 99% reduction since the peak in 1992 of 37,311 cases."

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
Much to do about nothing.

And we will, thanks for judging.

Really, no it won't be.

Actually detecting this in U.S. cattle will give every other country in the world an excuse to respond harshly with import protections on U.S. beef (which simultaneously will protect their domestic industries). The U.S. taxpayer will then step in and fill the gap in money lost by big agribusiness, to the tune of probably billions, maybe tens of billions of dollars.

That's what happened the last time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Really, no it won't be.

Actually detecting this in U.S. cattle will give every other country in the world an excuse to respond harshly with import protections on U.S. beef (which simultaneously will protect their domestic industries). The U.S. taxpayer will then step in and fill the gap in money lost by big agribusiness, to the tune of probably billions, maybe tens of billions of dollars.

That's what happened the last time.

You need to read it then.

"Evidence shows that our systems and safeguards to prevent BSE are working, as are similar actions taken by countries around the world. In 2011, there were only 29 worldwide cases of BSE, a dramatic decline and 99% reduction since the peak in 1992 of 37,311 cases."

Yes, much to do about nothing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Much Ado About Nothing

That's the Shakespeare play...I was referencing the little known Canadian Comedy Club. ;)

Edit, to be fair, I hope they get a handle on it, as with every/all diseases, of plants, Bees, animals, etc...there is simply nothing better to brighten your day than a Vegan/Vegetarian playing the holier than thou card. I find it as annoying as I find meat eaters that bother those who choose to NOT eat it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)

"Evidence shows that our systems and safeguards to prevent BSE are working, as are similar actions taken by countries around the world. In 2011, there were only 29 worldwide cases of BSE, a dramatic decline and 99% reduction since the peak in 1992 of 37,311 cases."

They of course said that the last time one was detected. Japan still hasn't re-accepted U.S. Beef. A number of other places were starting to become more open even just this year, including Taiwan. That will obviously go the opposite way, again, and just like the last time, the taxpayer will take care of it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)

Oh, and the U.S. testing process for BSE is a horrific joke. It's the same entirely private, voluntary testing BS that gets used whenever an industry doesn't actually want to test for something, and they use the government to make sure that no producer can actually perform the more stringent tests required internationally. It's seriously jsut a matter of luck that BSE hasn't had a chance to really explode in the U.S., and someday it probably will do so if the US doesn't improve tis testing regime.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
They of course said that the last time one was detected. Japan still hasn't re-accepted U.S. Beef. A number of other places were starting to become more open even just this year, including Taiwan. That will obviously go the opposite way, again, and just like the last time, the taxpayer will take care of it.

For reference on this:

In 2003, there had been two cases of BSE in the United States and 21 cases in Japan at the time.

* Noted that you referenced Japan banning our beef, when in fact, they had 21 cases to our 2 when they instated the 'ban'. They later implemented a partial lift on the ban for cattle 21 months and younger (Veal products). However, US beef remains the safest in the world DESPITE Japans ban...including safer than Japan's beef itself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh, and the U.S. testing process for BSE is a horrific joke. It's the same entirely private, voluntary testing BS that gets used whenever an industry doesn't actually want to test for something, and they use the government to make sure that no producer can actually perform the more stringent tests required internationally. It's seriously jsut a matter of luck that BSE hasn't had a chance to really explode in the U.S., and someday it probably will do so if the US doesn't improve tis testing regime.

It's funny you say that on a MLB message board.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
For reference on this:

In 2003, there had been two cases of BSE in the United States and 21 cases in Japan at the time.

* Noted that you referenced Japan banning our beef, when in fact, they had 21 cases to our 2 when they instated the 'ban'. They later implemented a partial lift on the ban for cattle 21 months and younger (Veal products). However, US beef remains the safest in the world DESPITE Japans ban...including safer than Japan's beef itself.

But Balta's talking about the impact on international trade. It doesn't matter if our beef is safer than Japan's or anyone else's if they take a protectionist stance in response to this report.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
It's funny you say that on a MLB message board.

The comparison here would be the NFL deciding that it wanted to adopt a more stringent testing program and then MLB stepping in and having the government say "no you can't, you have to keep this many loopholes or you'll make everyone else look bad". It really is that bad.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
But Balta's talking about the impact on international trade. It doesn't matter if our beef is safer than Japan's or anyone else's if they take a protectionist stance in response to this report.

I guess we can sit around the campfire and speculate on a number of things that may affect international trade, and how the taxpayer will have to pick up the tab on those things, too. Because beef is just one of many...many, many on top of many more.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
I guess we can sit around the campfire and speculate on a number of things that may affect international trade, and how the taxpayer will have to pick up the tab on those things, too. Because beef is just one of many...many, many on top of many more.

It's a thread about Mad Cow disease and we have pretty recent precedent to speculate on how countries will react. It's not just a bunch of navel-gazing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
It's a thread about Mad Cow disease and we have pretty recent precedent to speculate on how countries will react. It's not just a bunch of navel-gazing.

Then maybe the government should allow the free market cattle industry to crash and burn, as it should...instead of rescuing it...like it will. Maybe then they'll get the message that they should be more careful with their testing, etc. We point at the cattle industry for being sloppy...but what you need to point at is the government that rescues them when they make the same mistake over and over again.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Then maybe the government should allow the free market cattle industry to crash and burn, as it should...instead of rescuing it...like it will. Maybe then they'll get the message that they should be more careful with their testing, etc. We point at the cattle industry for being sloppy...but what you need to point at is the government that rescues them when they make the same mistake over and over again.

Depends, how strong is the meatpackers union?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Depends, how strong is the meatpackers union?

You just said the magic "U" word. They're rescued for sure.

This is actually why you are finding a lot of the higher profile restaurants buying beef from private, smaller ranchers these days. Not only is the quality of their product infinity higher than the "big box ranchers", it's also infinity safer to consume.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
That was meant to be more tongue in cheek and jabby, but it really came off just rude, so I apologize.

Eh, it's not a big deal, but the "meat or not to meat" argument can get quite heated between those that do and those that don't. I don't mind discussing pro's/con's of these choices, but I often find it to be a rather condescending discussion. One *always* tends to think their better than the other.

As I said, I hate it when vegetarians/vegans do it to us meat eaters, but I also hate it when meat eaters do it back. I find it rather fortuitous to live in a society where we have the choice to do either/or, while others simply starve.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)

I'm not exactly a strong defender of our kleptocracy.

But there's still a problem with the "kill 'em all and let the market sort 'em out" philosophy, and that's the harm done to all the people prior to, during and after a rather large industry crashes and burns. People end up eating diseased food and getting sick, possibly even dying before "market forces" correct and drive these companies out of business*. Many who have no say over shoddy, profit-first management practices will lose their jobs and a major portion of our food supply will be disrupted. These are just a few things springing to mind; I'm sure there are countless more network effects of letting the US beef industry collapse. If you can head that off with strong regulation, why the hell wouldn't you?

*I'm being generous with the assumption that this is a reasonable outcome in a large, complex and mostly opaque economy.