Alex Rios

fathom

Want some proof that Manto is getting through to him? He had 10 hits to right field all of last year. This year, he already has 6 hits to right field. Between Rios and Konerko, you have two players who are just killing other teams by not overswinging and taking what the pitcher gives them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Its nice that Rios is doing better, Im not sure that its Manto. Rios has done this before, you just never know what youll get.

There was an article a few weeks ago that talked about how Manto made Rios realize he was trying to pull the ball far too often last year. You can't watch these games and not realize the team is using more of the field than in previous years.

What about AJ?

Is he also taking more pitches and going with them to LF, as well?

Or most of his hits have been pulled to the right side? It seems like he's serving/flipping a few more outside pitches the other way than in recent years, but maybe it's just what our eyes WANT to see with a new hitting coach and there's no new trend.

That's mostly the case when DeAza hits the ball on the ground (pulled) for single and doubles/triples down the RF line, but he's also gotten a few balls up and in the air to the opposite field (one almost went out).

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Want some proof that Manto is getting through to him? He had 10 hits to right field all of last year. This year, he already has 6 hits to right field. Between Rios and Konerko, you have two players who are just killing other teams by not overswinging and taking what the pitcher gives them.

Interesting that you bring up both of those players...it seems to me that Rios' approach lately has resembled Konerko's, and I wonder if Konerko's "leadership-by-example" style is finally rubbing off on Rios. Definitely could be Manto, too, since EVERYONE seems to be willing to use the whole field.

Either way, I just hope he sustains his approach, and once people start pitching him inside, that he's not afraid to turn on one occasionally (and doesn't fall back in love with pulling the ball, either. Totally a danger).

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
There was an article a few weeks ago that talked about how Manto made Rios realize he was trying to pull the ball far too often last year. You can't watch these games and not realize the team is using more of the field than in previous years.

Its 16 games into the season, Rios has had a great start before, only to completely flame out.

Im one of the few people who have consistently believed Rios can do better, I just have been burned to many times by brief glimpses of "good" only to be followed by long stretches of "bad".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Its 16 games into the season, Rios has had a great start before, only to completely flame out.

Im one of the few people who have consistently believed Rios can do better, I just have been burned to many times by brief glimpses of "good" only to be followed by long stretches of "bad".

There's going to be an adjustment to the way he's pitched fairly soon. I'm sure they have been throwing away all day to him because of his previous pull happy tendencies. If he's willing to now take that pitch into RF for a hit, they will try something else and we'll see what happens. I'm not a Rios fan, but I hope he continues to hit well enough to help the Sox win and help the Sox dump his contract on some other sucker.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

I'm probably one of his biggest supporters on earth, and I can tell you that we've never seen Alex hit the ball this solidly to right before. For about six weeks at the beginning of 2010 he was hitting balls back up the middle, but not quite driving them to right like he is currently.

We just have to hope that one the advanced scouting catches up with him and pitchers stop pitching him away (the book on his has been pitch out over the plate and watch him roll over it), that he makes them pay by ripping that ball to left.

That's when the real test will come.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)

That's why I hope Kenny is working the phones trying to get rid of him.

I'll take this nice April and go with Fuko the rest of the way as the Sox use that money for other players I like better.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)

I'll take this nice April and go with Fuko the rest of the way as the Sox use that money for other players I like better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
:lolhitting

I...would actually go with Greg there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
You are a fan of Alex Rios??

Alex will have to do this all year to make me a believer.

I don't even know that I'd be a believer if he did this all year. If we went into next offseason after Rios had put up an .850 OPS and played well enough that he should have been an all star, would anyone really believe he could be counted on to put up decent numbers again next year? Or would we all label him a giant question mark for 2013?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
I don't even know that I'd be a believer if he did this all year. If we went into next offseason after Rios had put up an .850 OPS and played well enough that he should have been an all star, would anyone really believe he could be counted on to put up decent numbers again next year? Or would we all label him a giant question mark for 2013?

No I would not believe he could put up numbers again.

I would ask the fans on Sox talk one question: If the Sox could dump Alex Rios on a team right now for two minor leaguers would u be in favor of dumping him?

I would say "yes, dump him" immediately. What do you say?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
No I would not believe he could put up numbers again.

I would ask the fans on Sox talk one question: If the Sox could dump Alex Rios on a team right now for two minor leaguers would u be in favor of dumping him?

I would say "yes, dump him" immediately. What do you say?

Anyone who actually has to pay him will agree with you. I know for a fact Alex Rios is not anywhere near the top of JR's favorite players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)

We haven't seen him stay interested for more than half a season since he came here. To me, as talented as he is, he'd always be a question mark.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

NO one is going to trade for Rios in April unless we picked up the entire deal. See also, Byrd, Marlon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
NO one is going to trade for Rios in April unless we picked up the entire deal. See also, Byrd, Marlon.

I think that was a result of the Red Sox having no choice and having to actually give up someone you've heard of for him as a result. That was a necessity for the Red Sox, not necessarily the market value of Byrd...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I think that was a result of the Red Sox having no choice and having to actually give up someone you've heard of for him as a result. That was a necessity for the Red Sox, not necessarily the market value of Byrd...

They still managed to get the Cubs to pick up the entire value of the contract, minus the pro-rated minimum salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
They still managed to get the Cubs to pick up the entire value of the contract, minus the pro-rated minimum salary.

Well yeah, but look at the guys running the Cubs Front office. They can't have any idea what they're doing, did you see the mess they left in the last place they ran?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)

Notice the part about where I said the Red Sox had no choice but to do so?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
Notice the part about where I said the Red Sox had no choice but to do so?

I noticed that. So in a desperation mode, in April, they were still able to get the other team to essentially pay the entire contract. The White Sox would be on the other side of this ledger.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
I noticed that. So in a desperation mode, in April, they were still able to get the other team to essentially pay the entire contract. The White Sox would be on the other side of this ledger.

Yeah, but they compensated by trading an actual prospect instead of a bag of balls...

Now the Rios situation is much different because he is owed far more money, but if they didn't want to pay for Rios' salary, they could certainly include some cost-controlled prospects or young players instead of eating salary.

For instance, there might be a team would be willing to take Rios and most of his salary if you included Addison Reed and Nestor Molina and Viciedo with him...

It's just paying with different assets...