Buying a New Desktop computer

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are advantages and disadvantages of building your own versus buying pre-built machines from a place like Dell.

The advantages:

More choices, from graphics to sound to wireless, whatever the component in question, you have infinitely more -- and often better -- choice.

WAY cheaper. And when I say way, I mean WAY...probably half the total cost with better components.

Customizable to your exact requirements, be it graphics processing or just email, etc.

The disadvantages:

Size, these machines will never be as sleek/small as a all-in-one like a iMac as they have separated monitors, etc.

Having to build it which requires some experience/knowledge, understanding what components to buy and why, etc.

Purchasing the operating system (unless you use some flavor of Linux), this adds about 100$ to the cost and requires you to install it (for you Windows people), and then get the necessary/updated drivers for the components you installed. While default drivers often work fine, you SHOULD install the latest from the manufacturer.

Warranty. When you build your own, every component has it's own warranty, which you will have to box up ship back if it breaks, which requires experience to know what component is broken and why.

---

While pre-built machines cost more, they're easier to have fixed, etc. I only recommend building your own to people with some computer/operating system experience...otherwise the increased cost is justifiable for those with less experience. That said, it can be a very fun project and a GREAT learning experience for those looking to get into IT, believe it or not, building your own computer and installing the OS from scratch is a GREAT first step to gain some experience.

One of the most important things is a good power supply, that can supply enough power to drive a good modern graphics card. You don't have to go overboard, but don't "go cheap" on the power supply, either.

Also, keep in mind that a *GOOD* monitor costs a LOT. Whether you buy pre-built or not, when it comes to LCD's you get what you pay for. Note that I didn't say a crappy knock off monitor, I said a good monitor...for photo/video/gamers like myself, the monitor is just as important as the graphics card.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
Also, keep in mind that a *GOOD* monitor costs a LOT. Whether you buy pre-built or not, when it comes to LCD's you get what you pay for. Note that I didn't say a crappy knock off monitor, I said a good monitor...for photo/video/gamers like myself, the monitor is just as important as the graphics card.

I have two of these at work:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-lp...7-33230410.html

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm sure some of the other people who actually work in the field can offer stronger recommendations (y2hh?), but I run free anti-virus from Avast! on my machines and haven't had any issues.

IMO, the best current "free" and VERY good Anti-Virus program is Microsoft Security Essentials...it's a relatively new release from Microsoft, and it's completely *free*, not to mention ad-free, all encompassing protection -- it does virus, malware, etc. -- with a VERY small footprint (doesn't take up a lot of resources).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...rity-essentials

For Windows users, it's as good as any paid AV software on the market right now.

Edit:

I've no experience with Avast, and in order to give an opinion I'd have to load it up and test it, see how much memory/processor it uses, how many processes it spawns, etc...and how well it ties into the OS. I'd also like to know what information it's reporting back to Avast...as I doubt it's 'free' out of the goodness of their hearts.

I do have experience with Symantec and McAfee, too...and of those, I prefer Symantec...but right now I'd stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft has built a very secure OS over the years and if anyone knows how to further protect it from viruses/malware, it's the mother ship itself.

For Apple/OSX users, I'd recommend using the free ClamXav, which can be downloaded direct or from the app store. The App store version does not have "active scanning", as it does not load an agent in the background and scan files as you use them. This is the version I use/recommend (app store version)...however, if you want active scanning, you can download a more robust version directly from the makers of ClamXav. At the very least, I'd recommend downloading it (again, it's free), updating the definitions and performing a full scan. Despite the recent media hoopla of malware outbreaks on OSX, I wouldn't be very worried about it...at least not yet. That said, nothing wrong with taking a pre-emptive interest and protecting yourself a bit.

Edited by Y2HH

Hmm, sounds like i'm going to have to research the BYO option. Seems like there are 100 variations of the same components though, and I don't know what's good and what's bad.

And I've already got a nice 23 inch LED monitor. Just need to add a decent computer to use it!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Hmm, sounds like i'm going to have to research the BYO option. Seems like there are 100 variations of the same components though, and I don't know what's good and what's bad.

And I've already got a nice 23 inch LED monitor. Just need to add a decent computer to use it!

That's the hardest part about building your own if you don't have a lot of modern hardware experience...it's hard to know what's good/bad. While it will take a bit of time, research each component and see what the general consensus is.

As for monitors, they're very much of the "until you have X, Y is fine" mindset. I currently run 2560x1440 resolution and could NOT go back to something smaller on a desktop now, but until I started using 2560x1440, 1920x1200 was fine. Needless to say, it's no longer fine for me. :/

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Also, what's the best place to buy the parts? Amazon? Newegg? Other?

I like Newegg. Shipping is usually free and always fast and they have good customer service (I ordered a case from them and UPS banged it up and refused to take responsibility. Newegg paid for a new side panel for it).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
This thread just made me go buy 8 more gigs of RAM for my imac, thanks for reminding me!

I have 16 gigs in mine...memory is SO cheap, I see no reason why people have less than 12 anymore. 8 gigs is around 45$, and even less with rebates...even cheaper if you go generic on the memory, but I don't recommend that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
I have 16 gigs in mine...memory is SO cheap, I see no reason why people have less than 12 anymore. 8 gigs is around 45$, and even less with rebates...even cheaper if you go generic on the memory, but I don't recommend that.

Nah, I am a crucial guy.

Its so funny that Apple charges almsot a grand for an 8 gig upgrade, or it could be 16, whatever its ridiculous. Even the most basic computer user can put in memory.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Diablo III and that seems to have a moderate set of requirements

I wasn't thrilled to find out one of those requirements is maintaining an internet connection at all times, even if you just want to play single player. I've never met an internet connection that is 100% reliable. Additionally, if there are problems on Blizzard's end of things, no one plays.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I wasn't thrilled to find out one of those requirements is maintaining an internet connection at all times, even if you just want to play single player. I've never met an internet connection that is 100% reliable. Additionally, if there are problems on Blizzard's end of things, no one plays.

Eh, I played WoW for a number of years, so i'm just going in thinking it's the same thing. I'll expect the occasional, but rare, outage.

So for those that know - is there a big performance jump between AMD and Intel? I should just be looking for (1) fit with the motherboard and (2) speed right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Eh, I played WoW for a number of years, so i'm just going in thinking it's the same thing. I'll expect the occasional, but rare, outage.

So for those that know - is there a big performance jump between AMD and Intel? I should just be looking for (1) fit with the motherboard and (2) speed right?

Performance comparisons

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

Pick a CPU, then pick a matching mobo after that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Man, this has taken over my day looking into all my options here.

Anyone overclocked their stuff? Is that easy to do, i.e. can you just let a computer program handle it?

It's usually just a bios setting these days, or at the most, a simple jumper on the motherboard that's easy to switch around. That said, for most things, you won't have to worry about OC'ing, it's mostly not necessary these days unless you are seriously trying to push the limits for things like rendering or playing games at maximum settings trying to eek out every last drop of performance. Your system should be fine without overclocking for most regular applications...you don't seem like the type that cares about making sure Diablo 3 runs at 71fps instead of 69fps.

With the new GUI BIOS screens overclocking is super easy.

Based on a few articles I've come across at sites like tomshardware, it's not hard to get substantially more performance out of an i5-2500k, pushing it up into i7 territory and not increasing the thermal load much at all.

The only reason I ask is that I can spend an extra 20 bucks and get the unlocked i5 chip. If it's something I might eventually do (i.e., easy enough to do) I'll just do that. My ATI Radeon graphics card from back in the day had that feature and it rarely worked properly.