White Sox @ Oakland 4.25 game thread 2:35pm

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Yeah no kidding...its almost to the point where I dont want Gordon or Brent in the lineup on the same day. Its just a black hole when they are.

And Andy Gonzalez > Escobar.

So zero expectations of the bottom of the line-up doing a thing.

At least Escobar did one heady thing there defensively. Most players give up on the tag there or argue with the ump (see Ryan, Brendan or Rios, A.J.)

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what I like better, the old days when the Sox would play close games that were a score of 10 to 9, or these days with the scores 2 to 1.

Before we had awesome hitting and crappy pitching, now awesome pitching and crappy hitting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Morel should stand as close to the plate as possible. His current stance makes it way too easy for pitchers to throw to the outer half and either get the swing and miss or just a weak fly ball to right.

Viciedo does the same thing...then jams himself by lunging towards the plate.

If we can notice this so easily on t.v., someone has to have mentioned it to them, you'd think. Maybe they feel uncomfortable closer or like they're too vulnerable to being busted inside, but whatever they're doing clearly isn't working.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Morel should stand as close to the plate as possible. His current stance makes it way too easy for pitchers to throw to the outer half and either get the swing and miss or just a weak fly ball to right.

He's not what people thought he was based on his September, but he's also nowhere near as bad as he's showing. Hopefully he's at least better than the guy we saw before last September.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
good morning, good afternoon, and good night Eduardo Escobar

I'm not really sure what value Escobar brings to the big league club, especially given Ventura's reluctance to make a lot of changes at the end of the game. BTW, you notice how Melvin used his back-up catcher last night to PH and then kept him in the game :)

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
The improvement in holding/throwing out baserunners this season has been nothing short of phenominal.

Is there a new bench coach on the bench that could be directly responsible for this? Don't see that as something Robin would directly teach & improve.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Well, that was more on Cespedes for oversliding the bag/poor technique.

Yeah but AJ's arm is no better than it has been is seasons past and he's still throwing out guys now. Ramirez is actually at the bag most of the time as well. Huge jumps and Alexei catching the ball a couple feet in front of second meant hopeless.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Well, that was more on Cespedes for oversliding the bag/poor technique.

Still...I just can't believe after the last few seasons that the Sox have only surrendered 2 SB's this year.

Baserunning turned so many 0 innings into 1's, 1's into 2's etc. etc. over the last few years.

Edited by jeffro2525

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Is there a new bench coach on the bench that could be directly responsible for this? Don't see that as something Robin would directly teach & improve.

New bench coach Mark Parent was a major league catcher for parts of 13 different seasons.

Scott Merkin ‏ @scottmerkin

Cespedes beat the throw on SB but overslid at second. So White Sox now 8-for-10 in nailing base stealers. Talk about a turnaround

Last year, White Sox catchers (AJ, Castro, Flowers, Lucy) were 22-of-157 in nabbing base stealers

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
9-70 in the 2nd spot...who gets a chance next, as Alexei is in a major funk?

I think they need to try out Rios leading off and De Aza in the two-spot - I think thats what you had suggested before. Get some guys on base for Dunn, Konerko and A.J.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
New bench coach Mark Parent was a major league catcher for parts of 13 different seasons.

That would make sense. A new manager changing the attitude in the clubhouse only helps so much, other changes require actual coaching. AJ isn't getting any younger, and he is throwing out runners much better this year. (I realize Cespedes got himself out today.)

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
I think they need to try out Rios leading off and De Aza in the two-spot - I think thats what you had suggested before. Get some guys on base for Dunn, Konerko and A.J.

With Rios driving the ball to the gaps, you want him batting after guys who actually get on base, and not our NL-style 7/8/9. I do think De Aza would be our best choice for 2nd if we could ever find a suitable leadoff hitter.