White Sox @ Oakland 4.25 game thread 2:35pm

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
Everybody blames the last crappy thing for a loss, in this case Santiago. There was plenty o' crap to spread around.

Santiago almost gave up more runs in 1/3 of an inning than our starters did in 24. Who knows how many he would have given up if the game didn't end there.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Santiago to the minors and we keep watching Beckham, Morel and Viciedo fail?

Okay.

But Santiago should be tried as a starter, anyway.

That will be the FLIGHT FROM HELL coming back home, though.

And the Red Sox will be coming in with a 3 game streak...we win four in a row, twice now, give it right back.

Once again, the perfect game or no hitter ends up having a bounceback effect on the team.

Right.

Santiago is in trouble if he blows his next one but it would be very ballsy by Ventura to pull him out of the role so quickly. Very weird that the screwball has been looking like s*** though.

One thing I wouldn't do is have Santiago pitch in the MLB if he's not the closer. The instant you decide he isn't your closer, he needs to get stretched out to be a starter in AAA. He got pummeled by some righties, but he has the stuff to get both righties and lefites out. If he can't calibrate the screwball coming out of the pen, that's fine, but I wouldn't leave him up here to die as a middle reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Santiago almost gave up more runs in 1/3 of an inning than our starters did in 24. Who knows how many he would have given up if the game didn't end there.

Correct Santiago's numbers are god awful.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
Through 18 games, I'm still kinda unsure about this team. They could have a record much better than 10-8 with a bit better execution. 3-4 at home, 7-4 on the road.

Not all is lost. Robin has to figure out how to get these guys to chill out and quit making so many stupid mistakes though.

By the way, the answer isn't less bunting -- it sure is to get some damn bunts down though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
Not all is lost. Robin has to figure out how to get these guys to chill out and quit making so many stupid mistakes though.

By the way, the answer isn't less bunting -- it sure is to get some damn bunts down though.

Agreed, and I still think Dan Johnson would help this roster more than Escobar does.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
Everybody blames the last crappy thing for a loss, in this case Santiago. There was plenty o' crap to spread around.

You're right...but Santiago got crushed against a team that didn't crush anything for 32 innings. 4 runs in 32 innings. 3 runs off Santiago. He recorded one out...not good.

At least we're contributing to Cespedes' All-Star numbers.

You'd have to say there's about a 90% chance he's the selection for Oakland.

Feel sorry for Kansas City...about the worst possible year for them to host it with how their season has started.

The only way it could possibly have ended up in a worse fashion for the White Sox would have been if Manny Ramirez was on the active roster and he hit the walkoff right after Cespedes tied it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Think they'll kick the tires on Mike Gonzalez after today?

I hate that guy. His windup is so weird and awful to watch. He takes forever to throw a damn pitch.

I think we're fine. Santiago should be a LOOGY, have Thornton or Reed close.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
NOPE.

We're not in "win now" mode.

Rebuilding year.

He's not going to be a part of any future with the Sox...why bother?

Bingo!

Robin wanted to see what he had in Santiago, and now he knows, and hopefully will find out what he has in Reed.

Early part of the season is always like this, especially with new faces around.

I've seen enough of Santiago and Reed to know what the right move is.

Santiago was never supposed to be the closer to begin with, so there's nothing wrong with pulling the plug on him already.

Reed should close. Always should have.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
NOPE.

We're not in "win now" mode.

Rebuilding year.

He's not going to be a part of any future with the Sox...why bother?

we were in "win now" mode last year and this year's team is better. Besides how does signing Gonzalez do ANYTHING detrimental to this team's future?

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
I've seen enough of Santiago and Reed to know what the right move is.

Santiago was never supposed to be the closer to begin with, so there's nothing wrong with pulling the plug on him already.

Reed should close. Always should have.

I think they were buying time for Jones to move to a setup role. With the sudden implosion of Santiago I'd probably move Reed to closer now and roll dice that Jones is ready to set up. This also means there's no real role for Santiago. I'd probably bring Bruney up to help in easing Jones' transition.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
I think they were buying time for Jones to move to a setup role. With the sudden implosion of Santiago I'd probably move Reed to closer now and roll dice that Jones is ready to set up. This also means there's no real role for Santiago. I'd probably bring Bruney up to help in easing Jones' transition.

Crain and Thornton would be the set up guys.

Got to step back from this loss and ponder a bit. But, Santiago's implossions twice now make you wonder if we need to take a look at that closers spot adn I mean a long look. That is two games we should have won and be in this race

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Crain and Thornton would be the set up guys.

I think it's imperitive to have a second RH set up guy when Crain is the other RH'er. His innings have to be monitored very closely.