White Sox @ Oakland 4.25 game thread 2:35pm

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
His statistics clearly say otherwise.

Morel's hitting .286 with RISP this year. .333 with a man on third. .667 with man on third less than 2 outs.

Small sample, but hey, he's excelled in that sample this year.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
Morel's hitting .286 with RISP this year. .333 with a man on third. .667 with man on third less than 2 outs.

You know damned well the odds are he was going to whiff.

But clearly, with how he's been going recently, Ventura had more confidence in the bunt than letting him hit away.

2/7 is not a trend, or 1/3 or 2/6 or whatever.

Against any pitchers throwing 94-97 this year, forget about Morel hitting their fastballs. (See Beckham, see Viciedo for further examples).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
You know damned well the odds are he was going to whiff.

In a 2-1 count where it would have been a 3-1 count if he didn't offer at that pitch way outside the zone?

I really doubt it.

I recall at least twice when Morel's singled on the ground with the infield drawn in. ie, not hit the ball any better than normal with man on third, just happened to have the infield drawn in.

This is the perfect time to say, every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut. That line is a statistical anomaly and will NOT hold up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
He has all the tools, yeah.

He's going to K a lot, but he is also going to put up 30+ homers and 80-90 RBI's in that huge mausoleum of a stadium.

He could also get 25-35 steals.

Declaring him an All-Star has nothing to do with that AB at all.

I never said the A's were good, dude.

I said about 10 times before this series they shouldn't let Cespedes beat them. Advice not taken or heeded.

He's 3 for 10 with 1 RBI in this series.

The "I wish we had young players who are exciting to watch hit" comment was silly. The A's lineup is awful and their one young, exciting bat is due $36 mil over 4 years.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
I recall at least twice when Morel's singled on the ground with the infield drawn in. ie, not hit the ball any better than normal with man on third, just happened to have the infield drawn in.

Isn't that exactly what you want him to do in that situation?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
In a 2-1 count where it would have been a 3-1 count if he didn't offer at that pitch way outside the zone?

I really doubt it.

Have you been watching Morel play at all this year?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
This is the perfect time to say, every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut. That line is a statistical anomaly and will NOT hold up.

The only reason I looked those numbers up was because I remember Morel actually driving some guys in when there were RISP. Turns out my memory wasn't horrible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Have you been watching Morel play at all this year?

Yes, even the worst major league hitters can hit the ball somewhere if you give them a fastball down the middle in a hitter's count.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Which brings up the bigger point of...why is he playing? :)

Because the White Sox spent $25 million last year extra going "all in" to try to save their manager's job, their manager quit on them completely and a number of guys did the exact same thing, at which point the White Sox responded by going into rebuilding mode, cutting $25 million in salary, removing or trading 4 key contributors from the previous year, and guaranteeing the youth they did have time to play and develop.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Can Lillibridge play a decent 3rd base?

You can only take so much from it since Omar Vizquel was going to get his playing time, but he's played 6 games at 3b in his entire time in the bigs (26 innings). He's played 5x as much 1b as he has 3b.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Yes, even the worst major league hitters can hit the ball somewhere if you give them a fastball down the middle in a hitter's count.

He is not a major league hitter, as it stands currently.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
Why the f*** are we sacrificing when this pitcher is losing control

Because we're down by 1 and getting a runner to 2b with 1 out increases your chances of scoring that single run even if it reduces your chances at a big inning.