Closing Time

Marty34

Closer Attpempt #2  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be given the next chance to close?

• Jones
    • Crain
    • Thornton
    • Stewart
    • Ohman
    • Reed
    • No One - Santiago will be fine
    • Someone from the minors ( specify who in your post )
    • KW Trade ( speculate who in your post )

I have to wonder if it is difficult for Hector to get all of his pitches together in the span of a short bullpen warmup/one inning on the mound. Think kind of like some sinkerballers, whose toughest inning is the first because it takes a while to get the feel of the sinker and what not. I swear his screwball looks like s*** and it used to look better -- I just wonder if he hasn't/can't make the adjustment to the realities of being a bullpen pitcher. He obviously only has a handful of appearances left to figure it out, but I have to wonder.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
I have to wonder if it is difficult for Hector to get all of his pitches together in the span of a short bullpen warmup/one inning on the mound. Think kind of like some sinkerballers, whose toughest inning is the first because it takes a while to get the feel of the sinker and what not. I swear his screwball looks like s*** and it used to look better -- I just wonder if he hasn't/can't make the adjustment to the realities of being a bullpen pitcher. He obviously only has a handful of appearances left to figure it out, but I have to wonder.

I guess the other possibility is that the reason no one throws a screwball is that it winds up being too hittable of a pitch, maybe outside of Arizona or something like that.

Pitch tipping would also explain a lot

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...r-santiago.html

Manager Robin Ventura is standing behind rookie closer Hector Santiago, who gave up five consecutive hits — including a two-run tying home run to Yoenis Cespedes — in the 14th inning of the White Sox’ tough 5-4 loss Wednesday to the Oakland Athletics.

Coaches and players are wondering if Santiago is tipping his pitches. Cespedes hit a 2-2 changeup deep into the seats against Santiago, who has given up four home runs.

“I watched video to see if I was tipping anything,’’ Santiago said before the game Thursday. “The location was fine. Just seeing it out of my hand and where I threw it, he might have caught it right out of my hand.’’

Santiago might do well to feature more of the pitches he has in his arsenal, including his screwball. And he might be pounding the zone to his own detriment.

“Right now I’m trying to get out of the zone a bit,’’ he said. “I’m a little too much in the zone with all my pitches, getting too much plate. I’m ahead in the count, trying to throw strikes still. Ahead in the count, I have to get somebody to chase something.’’

In any event, the left-hander is learning how to put blown saves behind him. He had two in six opportunities through Wednesday.

“I texted my dad this morning, ‘New season from now on. No blown saves.’ ’’

You have to stick with Mr. Screwball for now. If he doesn't do well, then Addison Reed would be next. However, then you have to rearrange the bullpen. You are going to need another righty set up man. And then you have to either send Santiago or Stewart down to AAA and bring up a righty reliever.

No way do I want to see Thornton as a closer. He is doing great as setup and keeping his trade value high. Crain maybe..but he has to be 100% healthy which I don't think that he is. Prefer Reed though at this point. However no guarantee that Reed will do better than Santiago.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
You have to stick with Mr. Screwball for now. If he doesn't do well, then Addison Reed would be next. However, then you have to rearrange the bullpen. You are going to need another righty set up man. And then you have to either send Santiago or Stewart down to AAA and bring up a righty reliever.

No way do I want to see Thornton as a closer. He is doing great as setup and keeping his trade value high. Crain maybe..but he has to be 100% healthy which I don't think that he is. Prefer Reed though at this point. However no guarantee that Reed will do better than Santiago.

Thornton can face lefties and righties, so having a righty set-up man isn't as important for Sox as it is a lot of teams. I'll never understand the thought process of having someone who's anywhere from your 4th to 6th best reliever being your closer. Thing is, it's not like Santiago's future is as a closer anyways.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Thornton can face lefties and righties, so having a righty set-up man isn't as important for Sox as it is a lot of teams. I'll never understand the thought process of having someone who's anywhere from your 4th to 6th best reliever being your closer. Thing is, it's not like Santiago's future is as a closer anyways.

The best team in baseball has their 3rd/4th best reliever as closer.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Santiago is going to have a few more chances at least. Have to wait now with Crain on DL. If you move Reed to closer, you are pretty short on proven right handed relief. Have to see what Axelrod brings to table. Nate Jones though has been decent so far. lol!

If he blows the next save try it will be difficult to trot him out there again.

It seems ridiculous to not try Thornton again.

Sox can't afford to be blowing games with no margin for error this year.

Already blown 2.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Nate Jones though has been decent so far. lol!

Why the hell would this be an "LOL" moment after that sentence? Just makes no sense.

I definitely wanted Reed as closer from the get-go, I'm okay with Santiago though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Also a little more breakdown on the same topic

http://fanpeeps.com/-pl9j

Yeah, there's a difference in his arm speed and it's quite noticeable. It looks like he's finishing up the changeup a lot slower than the fastball. That's a big no-no.

That changeup's location wasn't all that bad, although it was in the zone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Scot Gregor ‏ @scotgregor

Ventura said he liked matchup with Thornton in 9th. Santiago still closer option, as are Addison Reed and healthy Crain

So Robin didn't trust Santiago against the big lefties (AGon/Papi), and righties are slugging 1.000 against him. When exactly are you going to use him/

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
So Robin didn't trust Santiago against the big lefties (AGon/Papi), and righties are slugging 1.000 against him. When exactly are you going to use him/

In other words, you are most likely seeing a quiet changing of the guard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
In other words, you are most likely seeing a quiet changing of the guard.

He doesn't wanna publicly call out Hector and say he lost his job, but he will let his handling of the bullpen show everyone what's up. It's rare to see a manager be so secretive about his bullpen & closer. Especially in today's age, the closer is such a defined position due to the save stat, that a manager almost always makes a public declaration.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
He doesn't wanna publicly call out Hector and say he lost his job, but he will let his handling of the bullpen show everyone what's up. It's rare to see a manager be so secretive about his bullpen & closer. Especially in today's age, the closer is such a defined position due to the save stat, that a manager almost always makes a public declaration.

Unlike Ozzie who used to say it all of the time, I really don't think Robin cares what people outside of the clubhouse think.

• 2 weeks later...