Closing Time

Marty34

Closer Attpempt #2  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be given the next chance to close?

• Jones
    • Crain
    • Thornton
    • Stewart
    • Ohman
    • Reed
    • No One - Santiago will be fine
    • Someone from the minors ( specify who in your post )
    • KW Trade ( speculate who in your post )

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Reed can keep his fastball in the 95-97 range, I think he's okay.

If he's 93 or 94, unless he has pinpoint control, it's more questionable.

The last time he pitched in SEA, he was dominant, but that's SEA and OAK we're talking about, not the Tiggers, Yankees or Rangers, or even the Red Sox.

His slider is supposed to be his bread and butter pitch, but it has been hit and miss so far this year. Sometimes it looks good, other times it's not there, like Gavin's curveball or Peavy's slider/cutter.

This freakin' organization and it's unwillingness to change early in the season. Doesn't matter what manager it is now apparently. Sometimes early season changes HELP a team and a season in the long run. Change before it gets too late!

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
This freakin' organization and it's unwillingness to change early in the season. Doesn't matter what manager it is now apparently. Sometimes early season changes HELP a team and a season in the long run. Change before it gets too late!

And sometimes making rash, early season decisions screw with a team early in the season, screw with the psyche of the players, and sabotage a season.

I get why Santiago. First he doesn't want to move Crain or Thornton who are incredibly good at his job. Second, it doesn't matter if Santiago fails in the long run. The guy came out of no where, and he could also go back to starting if this doesn't work out. Plus that screwball is a big pitch against righties, but it just isn't doing anything right now.

They want to make sure Reed is ready. If he fails, it looks much worse, as he is one of their top prospects, and if he doesn't close well, there is some answering to do.

I am sure if Santiago can't find the screwball very soon, there will be a change made.

Ventura also can't be seen as reactionary. His guys needs to know that they won't be yanked for one or two bad days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 05:51 AM)
And sometimes making rash, early season decisions screw with a team early in the season, screw with the psyche of the players, and sabotage a season.

Yes of course. It's a toss up, but the last few years, the stubborn lack of change wrecked the team. Perhaps trying a new manager with a philosophy of "change what doesnt work" could help. That's what I want to see with the 2012 Sox. If Robin is the so called "Anti-Ozzie"...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Yes of course. It's a toss up, but the last few years, the stubborn lack of change wrecked the team. Perhaps trying a new manager with a philosophy of "change what doesnt work" could help. That's what I want to see with the 2012 Sox. If Robin is the so called "Anti-Ozzie"...

Stubborn lack of change? Guys got benched all the time, for reasons they couldn't figure out. The problem was, who got benched/punished for their performance and who got rewarded with more playing time while doing nothing seemingly had everything to do with who the manager liked and who he didn't like, rather than either any short term goals (winning ballgames) or long term goals (Developing young players).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
I think I'd go with Thornton, followed by Crain.

These newcomers can't close. They are going to blow WAY too many.

Let the veterans do it until they prove they also can't.

When you are a .500ish type team, you can't have these closing problems. Just can't. It's hard enough to get in position to win games.

Poor Robin. The unreliable bullpen continues.

But in answer to your question. I'd go thornton, then crain after Thornton proves he can't.

I wouldn't be upset if it were Crain, then Thornton though.

GIVE IT TO A VETERAN!

Genius. The same veteran you laud in Thornton shat his pants when given the opportunity last year.

Reed should be closer as of right now. One of the most frustrating things about 2011 and the old regime was stubbornly sticking with something that obviously was not working. It leads to too many early season losses, digs the team a hole in the standings and kills early season fan excitement. I like that Ventura is not volatile and sticks behind his players, but adjustments need to be made more quickly after last year's disaster of a season. Ventura is going to have to hurt a few player's feelings for the good of the team. This team is off to too good of a start to piss away wins.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Nate Jones has impressed me, but I'll honestly say I haven't watched his pitch selection closely. Does he have the right mix? Plus, he went a couple inning yesterday. Is he more of a longer relief guy?

He has the stuff to be effective but he seemingly has no where near Reed's level of control. At some poitn this season there is likely to be an inning where Jones walks 5 guys. If that doesn't happen, then he could be a long term option for that job, but let's let Coop work with him for a year first.

It should be Thornton. He's dealing now. When Jenks got hurt in 2010, he did fine as the closer. People are too focused on the disaster last year when he wasn't throwing well. Chances are the Sox aren't going to be a contender. Let him close and improve his trade value. Then when they trade him and Reed has his feet wet in MLB, he can move into the role.

Let Santiago find his way in other situations. I don't understand why you have to keep throwing him out there in the 9th until he proves he's worthy of the assignment. He never has except in games that the players don't even get paid to play.

Edited by Dick Allen

I agree that Santiago isn't cutting it right now, but yesterday's game should have been won two different times before the 14th if not for baserunning errors, and calling for that off-speed pitch to Cespedes when Santiago had just blown a fastball by him wasn't the best idea.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
I agree that Santiago isn't cutting it right now, but yesterday's game should have been won two different times before the 14th if not for baserunning errors, and calling for that off-speed pitch to Cespedes when Santiago had just blown a fastball by him wasn't the best idea.

Santiago would have been in earlier had the Sox scored earlier. He still has to get people out. You can blame pitch calls, although other Sox pitchers don't seem to have a problem with how AJ is calling the game, previous mistakes, whatever, the bottom line is Santiago is getting shelled.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)

And you can't just keep trying to throw a 94 mph fastball past people on every pitch, the last time he got beat that's supposedly what he was doing.

And you can't just keep trying to throw a 94 mph fastball past people on every pitch, the last time he got beat that's supposedly what he was doing.

He had thrown a breaking ball the next pitch, though, so it's not like throwing a fastball there would have been the 3rd or 4th in a row.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
It should be Thornton. He's dealing now. When Jenks got hurt in 2010, he did fine as the closer. People are too focused on the disaster last year when he wasn't throwing well. Chances are the Sox aren't going to be a contender. Let him close and improve his trade value. Then when they trade him and Reed has his feet wet in MLB, he can move into the role.

Let Santiago find his way in other situations. I don't understand why you have to keep throwing him out there in the 9th until he proves he's worthy of the assignment. He never has except in games that the players don't even get paid to play.

Thornton got rocked in a high pressure situation 2 days ago.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
Thornton got rocked in a high pressure situation 2 days ago.

Mariano Rivera gets rocked from time to time. Thornton has been really good this year, just like he has for the vast majority of his White Sox career.

If you don't think guys like Reed and Jones aren't going to get rocked every now and then, you are in for a huge dissappointment.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Mariano Rivera gets rocked from time to time. Thornton has been really good this year, just like he has for the vast majority of his White Sox career.

If you don't think guys like Reed and Jones aren't going to get rocked every now and then, you are in for a huge dissappointment.

I was replying to your post that said "Thornton's dealing right now." His last outing was good, but his 2 days ago he was bad. I don't exactly call that "dealing." I'm not opposed to Thornton closing only because Reed might not be ready. Thornton's definitely not a long term solution as a closer though.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
I was replying to your post that said "Thornton's dealing right now." His last outing was good, but his 2 days ago he was bad. I don't exactly call that "dealing." I'm not opposed to Thornton closing only because Reed might not be ready. Thornton's definitely not a long term solution as a closer though.

He's got an 0.83 WHIP and an 0.93 ERA, and leads the league in appearances. He's dealing.

Edited by Dick Allen