4/25 Games

caulfield12

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...chraaa_gwiaaa_1

Charlotte out in front 7-0, homers from Conor Jackson and Golson

BIRM OFF

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...potafa_wswafa_1

W-S with a huge win, 14-0, 3rd homer for Trayce Thompson...Miggy Gonzalez with 3/4, 5 RBI's, Blanke with two doubles, Buch and relievers combine for a 2 hitter with 12 K's

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...kanafx_augafx_1

Kannapolis, Pangilanan with a double, K. Smith 2/4, K.Walker 1/3, Ravelo 0/2 with BB/RBI

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
That walk from Ravelo actually makes me happier than another hit.

Yeah, when you're on a 15-game hitting streak and hitting almost .400 you should be able to draw some walks. I'm still more worried about the power though. Patience can be learned. Power can come late as well, but he hasn't had an extra base hit in 7 games after a good start. Let's see how this goes. I'd hate to think he's just a slightly better version of Jon Gilmore.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 01:29 AM)
Yeah, when you're on a 15-game hitting streak and hitting almost .400 you should be able to draw some walks. I'm still more worried about the power though. Patience can be learned. Power can come late as well, but he hasn't had an extra base hit in 7 games after a good start. Let's see how this goes. I'd hate to think he's just a slightly better version of Jon Gilmore.

Take a look at the stats for Kanny's starting position players as a whole. Other than Mark Haddow, it is remarkable how many of them have relatively low SLG compared to their AVG and OBP. Kevan Smith, for example, is doing pretty much the same thing Ravelo is. So, is it that Kanny is just full of non-power guys? Looking at what some of their guys did last year, I'd say the answer is No. More likely, this is something they are teaching the team as a whole - contact first, power later.

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with Ravelo, who is still so young.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
Take a look at the stats for Kanny's starting position players as a whole. Other than Mark Haddow, it is remarkable how many of them have relatively low SLG compared to their AVG and OBP. Kevan Smith, for example, is doing pretty much the same thing Ravelo is. So, is it that Kanny is just full of non-power guys? Looking at what some of their guys did last year, I'd say the answer is No. More likely, this is something they are teaching the team as a whole - contact first, power later.

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially with Ravelo, who is still so young.

Man, it takes some serious rose colored glasses to say that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Man, it takes some serious rose colored glasses to say that.

Rose colored glasses? No, rose-colored glasses would be if I said I thought those players would keep up those batting averages. What I'm saying is, there is an obvious trend on that team - lots of hitters with averages up and slugging down from last year, relatively. Could be the ballpark, maybe, but I'm going with the likely scenario being it is the way they are currently going about hitting. Probably from coaching.

Do you have another theory? Do you think it just happens to be that guys all became contact-first hitters due to other factors?

Also, I'm surprised how few people seem to recognize this, especially people who (like you) are very knowledgeable on this stuff... very few hitters that are age-appropriate for that level hit for serious power. Certainly not home runs. Obviously, you want to see doubles numbers that are solid, as that is a good indicator of power potential. But this is Low A, and we're talking about younger guys. I don't expect a lot of power just yet.

Not expecting power is one thing, but saying they aren't hitting power because they're not trying to is an awfully convenient explanation. Kanny also has a team batting average of .248 so I don't know what you're seeing in terms of 'lots of hitters with averages up.'

Looking at the players individually Ravelo and Pangilinan both hit for little power in the past. Smith's power is down and Buckner doesn't have an extra base hit yet, though he just got there. Walker's power is down from Great Falls, but he played in Kannapolis last year and really struggled so who knows there.

There are plenty of possible explanations and certainly going from the hitter friendly Pioneer League to a pitchers' park in Kannapolis will play with the numbers. I just think your explanation was optimistic considering how many factors are involved and how little we actually know. I don't think it's something to worry about, but when specifically talking about Ravelo not hitting for power he has a history of doing it and it's nothing new.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Not expecting power is one thing, but saying they aren't hitting power because they're not trying to is an awfully convenient explanation. Kanny also has a team batting average of .248 so I don't know what you're seeing in terms of 'lots of hitters with averages up.'

Looking at the players individually Ravelo and Pangilinan both hit for little power in the past. Smith's power is down and Buckner doesn't have an extra base hit yet, though he just got there. Walker's power is down from Great Falls, but he played in Kannapolis last year and really struggled so who knows there.

There are plenty of possible explanations and certainly going from the hitter friendly Pioneer League to a pitchers' park in Kannapolis will play with the numbers. I just think your explanation was optimistic considering how many factors are involved and how little we actually know. I don't think it's something to worry about, but when specifically talking about Ravelo not hitting for power he has a history of doing it and it's nothing new.

I certainly agree there are lots of possible explanations. Further, it could be more than one thing.

And now that I look at the actual prospects, I was wrong about how many had power drops - many are actually doing better. Ravelo's SLG-AVG is actually higher than last year, by the way. Last year, it was .056, this year it is .149. Pangilinan's is up a little too. Walker already has 6 XBH in 68 AB, he had 3 in 162 AB last year at the same level.

I was focusing on Ravelo, Smith and Pangilinan and their high averages and low power numbers, but really Smith is the only one with a big power drop, relatively.