2012 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
took this from the talk bears board

2008: Drafted to play LT. Obviously injured. Fell behind the power curve for the rest of the season.

2009: Was slotted to play LT, but got moved to RT for 11 games when the Bears got Pace. Note the words, "flip-flop positions." Then finished up strong the last five games of at LT after Pace sucked.

Game 1 - Chris Long, 3 tackles, 0 sacks.

Game 2 - Clay Matthews, 5 tackles, 1 sack, multiple penalties (his one bad game)

Game 3 - No DE did well, and only 1 sack was given up (Kelly Gregg, a NT)

Game 4 - Jared Allen, 2 tackles, no sacks.

Game 5 - Cliff Avril, 2 tackles, 1 sack

2010: Started the first two games at LT, did well. Then injured his hamstring. And instead of keeping him at the position he was drafted for, suited for, and starting in, when he returned from injury Tice moved him to LG because he needed Williams, who was probably the Bears best OLineman, to substitute for Garza (who was injured). And to pour salt in the wound, Tice thought the best starting five included Omiyale at LT. This can't be stressed enough. Williams did not lose the LT spot. Tice made a bad decision because he was worried about replacing Garza at LG. Instead of keeping Williams at LT and finding someone to replace Garza, he went the other way. He finished the season at LG (11 games).

2011: Started nine games at LG, got injured vs. the Lions, got placed on IR. Never given a chance at LT.

To recap...

2008 - Injured

2009 - Got screwed because of the Pace signing, ended up replacing Pace

2010 - Started LT, got injured, then got screwed because he was versatile and Garza was injured

2011 - Never given a shot at LT while Webb sucked ass

---------

I'd like to see the bears take the best available OL in the 2nd round

if the draft a tackle you keep Williams at guard, if they draft a guard you move CW to tackle, if they draft a center move garza to guard and CW to OT

Really hoping Zeitler is there and the Oline next year is Williams-Louis-Garza-Zeitler-Carimi

Maybe you are right. I think it would be awesome if he could play LT. But Tice obviously doesn't think so, so Williams isn't playing LT unless something drastically changes. Maybe Tice is an idiot, and he is making the wrong decision, but who knows.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
took this from the talk bears board

2008: Drafted to play LT. Obviously injured. Fell behind the power curve for the rest of the season.

2009: Was slotted to play LT, but got moved to RT for 11 games when the Bears got Pace. Note the words, "flip-flop positions." Then finished up strong the last five games of at LT after Pace sucked.

Game 1 - Chris Long, 3 tackles, 0 sacks.

Game 2 - Clay Matthews, 5 tackles, 1 sack, multiple penalties (his one bad game)

Game 3 - No DE did well, and only 1 sack was given up (Kelly Gregg, a NT)

Game 4 - Jared Allen, 2 tackles, no sacks.

Game 5 - Cliff Avril, 2 tackles, 1 sack

2010: Started the first two games at LT, did well. Then injured his hamstring. And instead of keeping him at the position he was drafted for, suited for, and starting in, when he returned from injury Tice moved him to LG because he needed Williams, who was probably the Bears best OLineman, to substitute for Garza (who was injured). And to pour salt in the wound, Tice thought the best starting five included Omiyale at LT. This can't be stressed enough. Williams did not lose the LT spot. Tice made a bad decision because he was worried about replacing Garza at LG. Instead of keeping Williams at LT and finding someone to replace Garza, he went the other way. He finished the season at LG (11 games).

2011: Started nine games at LG, got injured vs. the Lions, got placed on IR. Never given a chance at LT.

To recap...

2008 - Injured

2009 - Got screwed because of the Pace signing, ended up replacing Pace

2010 - Started LT, got injured, then got screwed because he was versatile and Garza was injured

2011 - Never given a shot at LT while Webb sucked ass

---------

I'd like to see the bears take the best available OL in the 2nd round

if the draft a tackle you keep Williams at guard, if they draft a guard you move CW to tackle, if they draft a center move garza to guard and CW to OT

Really hoping Zeitler is there and the Oline next year is Williams-Louis-Garza-Zeitler-Carimi

Zeitler got taken 27th to the bengals

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
This looks no different than previous Bears drafts, WTF's all around. You have one of the worst O-lines in the league, your biggest hole being LT and theres a starting one on the board and you take a f***ing tweener from Boise who by all account is weak and didnt dominate a weak conference slate.

I agree with all of your points. I guess because it's a new GM I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe this DE will be JJ Watt 2.0. Maybe not though.

Tell the truth... think back to 2000, when we didn't have this advanced internet pouring with information and there was no YouTube, how much did you know about the safety from New Mexico that the Bears drafted to play MLB?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Maybe you are right. I think it would be awesome if he could play LT. But Tice obviously doesn't think so, so Williams isn't playing LT unless something drastically changes. Maybe Tice is an idiot, and he is making the wrong decision, but who knows.

Those are some of the best DE in the league he went against and he held his own so based off that he should be able to play there...at the very least im not crazy for thinking he can lol

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:21 PM)
Zeitler got taken 27th to the bengals

Damn missed that....Best available OL will make me happy and theres still some good ones left

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
Tell the truth... think back to 2000, when we didn't have this advanced internet pouring with information and there was no YouTube, how much did you know about the safety from New Mexico that the Bears drafted to play MLB?

Not sure how this is relevant. Urlacher was a freak athlete with really good size for a linebacker. Most people didn't know anything about him but if he was around now he would be incredibly hyped with his measurables.

According to ProFootballFocus, Williams and Spencer were two of the worst Guards in football last year. DeCastro was one of the highest rated G prospects in a while. You guys might be happy with Williams and Spencer with Lance Louis as a backup, but I'm not. If Tice likes Webb, fine, keep him at LT and Carimi at RT, but to say they didn't need a Guard was false. I've seen mocks where the Bears took Glenn at 19. I've seen other mocks where the Bears took Zeitler in the 2nd. Apparently other people think Guard was a need too...

I'm still furious... Completely unimpressed with McClellin. Don't get me wrong, I hope I eat some serious crow about this pick but I have a strong feeling I'm not wrong.

Glad we got a stud special teamer, though, with our 1st round pick. f***ing idiots. I thought we were going BPA, but apparently Emery was all talk. You can't make me believe McClellin was the best player left on the board. He obviously felt like we needed a pass rusher and took one b/c of the run on DL that occurred before our pick.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Not sure how this is relevant. Urlacher was a freak athlete with really good size for a linebacker. Most people didn't know anything about him but if he was around now he would be incredibly hyped with his measurables.

I said that because Emery scouted Urlacher and drafted him to play a position in the NFL he didn't play in college. And I think after some time to read more about McClellin and see people's reaction, a pretty substantial part of it is the "I don't know who the f*** this guy is" factor.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
According to ProFootballFocus, Williams and Spencer were two of the worst Guards in football last year. DeCastro was one of the highest rated G prospects in a while. You guys might be happy with Williams and Spencer with Lance Louis as a backup, but I'm not. If Tice likes Webb, fine, keep him at LT and Carimi at RT, but to say they didn't need a Guard was false. I've seen mocks where the Bears took Glenn at 19. I've seen other mocks where the Bears took Zeitler in the 2nd. Apparently other people think Guard was a need too...

Agree 100% a GREAT opportunity was wasted tonight!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
I said that because Emery scouted Urlacher and drafted him to play a position in the NFL he didn't play in college. And I think after some time to read more about McClellin and see people's reaction, a pretty substantial part of it is the "I don't know who the f*** this guy is" factor.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know exactly who this guy is. There is a reason I texted my brother before the draft: "I just hope we don't take McClellin." Unfortunately, I knew this was a distinct possibility for about a week now and before the draft, my contact said that if McClellin was there, we'd take him. I was just hoping to God that he was wrong... of course he wasn't.

Like I posted earlier, I hope I'm wrong. But I have a lot of doubts that this guy can be an every down DE in the league.

So let me get this straight. What youre saying is Chris Williams is a good LT but was moved to LG to fill a need and they were comfortable replacing Williams at LT with JaMarcus Webb?

First things first, I hope were in agreement that LT is much more important of a position then LG. There is a reason why guards dont often go early in drafts and tackles do.

So if you have a guy who is a good LT you would NEVER move him to LG and then put JaMarcus Webb there because as I said LG isnt nearly as important as covering your QB's blindside with a LT. If that were the case Williams would have been the starter at LT from opening day and theyd have used someone else at LG, probably Spencer or E. Williams.

The essay you posted from the Bears board isnt really relevant here because Im not trying to debate IF Chris Williams can play LT right now. The point is the coaching staff CLEARLY doesnt think he can or he would be. Had Williams been playing LT then DeCastro would have been a solid pick, but thats not the case. My point is that the coaches like Williams at guard and he seemed to be excelling at the position before his injury and when him and Louis were both playing there was the best our interior OL has looked in years, so Im sure they plan on keeping them there barring injuries. As far as depth goes they also have Spencer and Rachal and Im not sure if they still have Edwin Williams but either was that is a ton of depth for the position. OT on the other hand was a nightmare. Omiyale was possibly the worst OL in the NFL. Webb for the most part seemed pretty inconsistent (Martz's playcalling certainly didnt help) and when we moved Louis to RT after Carimi was hurt he looked awful too.

Right off the bat, not having Martz here calling 7 step drops and having Brandon Marshall here will help our OL immensely but the glaring need is at OT. Webb is a ? at best and Carimi is an injury concern and then they have a bunch of practice squad guys at OT currently. So again, thats why it wouldnt have made any sense to draft DeCastro.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)

Im gonna have to assume that is referring to EDWIN Williams, not Chris, and Louis would be the starter I imagine, not Spencer. The only reason Louis wasnt playing RG was because of Carimi's injury.

Underwhelmed but whatever.

If Carimi wasnt graded as a LT by Tice, Reif wouldnt have been either. If Bears were willing to move Carimi to LT, Reif would have made sense, but I think the Bears were pretty set on defense, just unfortunately there was a run right before their pick.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
So let me get this straight. What youre saying is Chris Williams is a good LT but was moved to LG to fill a need and they were comfortable replacing Williams at LT with JaMarcus Webb?

First things first, I hope were in agreement that LT is much more important of a position then LG. There is a reason why guards dont often go early in drafts and tackles do.

So if you have a guy who is a good LT you would NEVER move him to LG and then put JaMarcus Webb there because as I said LG isnt nearly as important as covering your QB's blindside with a LT. If that were the case Williams would have been the starter at LT from opening day and theyd have used someone else at LG, probably Spencer or E. Williams.

The essay you posted from the Bears board isnt really relevant here because Im not trying to debate IF Chris Williams can play LT right now. The point is the coaching staff CLEARLY doesnt think he can or he would be. Had Williams been playing LT then DeCastro would have been a solid pick, but thats not the case. My point is that the coaches like Williams at guard and he seemed to be excelling at the position before his injury and when him and Louis were both playing there was the best our interior OL has looked in years, so Im sure they plan on keeping them there barring injuries. As far as depth goes they also have Spencer and Rachal and Im not sure if they still have Edwin Williams but either was that is a ton of depth for the position. OT on the other hand was a nightmare. Omiyale was possibly the worst OL in the NFL. Webb for the most part seemed pretty inconsistent (Martz's playcalling certainly didnt help) and when we moved Louis to RT after Carimi was hurt he looked awful too.

Right off the bat, not having Martz here calling 7 step drops and having Brandon Marshall here will help our OL immensely but the glaring need is at OT. Webb is a ? at best and Carimi is an injury concern and then they have a bunch of practice squad guys at OT currently. So again, thats why it wouldnt have made any sense to draft DeCastro.

I just replied to why anyone would want to draft Decastro, I didnt even want him lol (nor did I want Shea). Yes LT is more important than LG obviously but with CW being able to play either position well IMO that leaves the door open to take a LT or a LG...as my posts have said I would want the bears to take the best possible OL available next round, no matter where the guy plays

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Im gonna have to assume that is referring to EDWIN Williams, not Chris, and Louis would be the starter I imagine, not Spencer. The only reason Louis wasnt playing RG was because of Carimi's injury.

Edwin actually graded out pretty well last year. Better than both Chris Williams and Spencer. So it wasn't referring to Edwin. And Spencer started over Louis at Guard last year, so I'm not sure we can just assume that Louis starts at Guard this year.

Also, sure LT is more important than LG. I can agree with that. However, LG has shown to be pretty important. Logan Mankins is a pretty good player. How about Carl Nicks? Steve Hutchinson in his heyday? DeCastro graded out very, very well. I mean, Danny Watkins went #23 last year at Guard and the guy was 27 years old. DeCastro was insane value.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
Edwin actually graded out pretty well last year. Better than both Chris Williams and Spencer. So it wasn't referring to Edwin. And Spencer started over Louis at Guard last year, so I'm not sure we can just assume that Louis starts at Guard this year.

Spencer started at RG after they moved Louis to RT.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
I just replied to why anyone would want to draft Decastro, I didnt even want him lol (nor did I want Shea). Yes LT is more important than LG obviously but with CW being able to play either position well IMO that leaves the door open to take a LT or a LG...as my posts have said I would want the bears to take the best possible OL available next round, no matter where the guy plays

As I stated before Im not here to argue whether CW is capable of playing LT or not. The fact is he isnt playing LT so Im not factoring that in as a possibility unless I hear it from Tice or the Bears.

Also, Im not saying LG isnt an important position. My point was that a team wouldnt move a guy from LT in favor of a player who isnt as good, ever.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
As I stated before Im not here to argue whether CW is capable of playing LT or not. The fact is he isnt playing LT so Im not factoring that in as a possibility unless I hear it from Tice or the Bears.

Also, Im not saying LG isnt an important position. My point was that a team wouldnt move a guy from LT in favor of a player who isnt as good, ever.

I think the fact Eric Steinbach and Anthony Herrera were brought in for visits shows theres a possibility.

then theres http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/03/lo...pport_for_.html that article that has lovie saying williams can play anywhere but center

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Lovie will never give a straight answer. He also said this in that article

Smith said. "Maybe a better case at guard, but you could say tackle, too."

If they have plans for him at LT then DeCastro would have been fine, I still dont see anything to make me think thats the case though. Tice is the one who decides the OL anyway.

What does the visits of 2 starting guards say??

I'm goin to bed but lastly ill reiterate that IMO the bears need to take the best OL available next round. If its an OT great, for a 3rd year in a row, fantastic, I wont have to hear everyone complain about Williams being put at a position he never failed at... But if its an OG or Peter Konz I would be ok with those pick as well as IMO Chris Williams can play LT.