2012 NFL Draft Thread

People keep saying Reiff is a LT, but if the Bears wont put Carimi there, I cant imagine theyd put Reif there.

Carimi:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...1&genpos=OT

Height: 6070

Weight: 314

40 Yrd Dash: 5.18

20 Yrd Dash: 2.80

10 Yrd Dash: 1.78 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29

Vertical Jump: 31 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'01"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

5.02/5.12/5.24 40 range before Combine

Reiff:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...2&genpos=OT

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6056

Weight: 313

40 Yrd Dash: 5.23

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23

Vertical Jump: 26 1/2

Broad Jump: 08'02"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75

3-Cone Drill: 7.87

So lets look at the tape:

Carimi is bigger, Carimi is stronger, Carimi can jump higher, Carimi can jump further, Carimi is faster and Carimi is more agile.

This not including:

2010: 2010 OUTLAND TROPHY WINNER...2010 BIG TEN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR (COACHES)...Consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection ... Academic All-Big Ten ... Wayne Souza Coaches Appreciation Award (Offense) ... He was a unanimous first team All-American

As compared to Reiff:

2011: First team All-Big Ten by league coaches and media..

So if you wanted Reiff he would have played RT, there is really nothing to suggest hes better than Carimi, besides for the fact he has less accolades and is newer.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Well I'm glad you can admit this...otherwise, call me shocked that you're not employed by an NFL team with this kind of knowledge and foresight.

I meant that Im not going to join the mob in slamming the pick because I personally dont know enough about the player to say whether I like it or hate it, not because I am claiming to be able to predict the future. But thanks for your contribution.

As for the Bears pick of Shea McClellin, I think the biggest thing yesterday was shock. I just did not go into the draft thinking that the Bears would pick a LB/DE hybrid due to how Lovie Smith runs the defense. That being said, I actually do like LB/DE hybrids who can play LB on rush downs and then DE on pass downs.

Maybe the Bears will grab a bigger D-Lineman later and have a few more interchangeable parts for the defense.

As for the 2nd maybe Konz will slip to the Bears, but I really am not as concerned about the O-line as most. Before the injuries and Hanie, they werent that bad.

After reading more and more about McClellan I'm a bit excited about him. I don't hate the pick (the only pick I think I would have hated there was Chandler Jones), but the fact that DeCastro was still there makes it tough to swallow. I wish DeCastro was off the board so I could fully enjoy the McClellan pick, but I just can't.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
My friend texted me that Scouts graded out McClellin a 92, Chandler 94, Mercilous 89. Hopefully Emery got a surprise here

The thing with Chandler is that he's somewhat of a developmental guy. Right now he appears to be better against the run than pure pass rushing and the Bears need a pass rusher. He's got a ton of upside and if the Bears were in rebuilding mode I wouldn't have minded him. However, the Bears are in win-now mode with Urlacher, Peppers, and Briggs all getting old, so they had to take a guy that contribute right away. McClellan looks like the best guy to do that at DE with what was left on the board.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
There have only been 2 taken in the first round in the last 15 years or something.

This cant possibly be right, Zietler and Decastro were drafted in the first round this year, and there has been other guards in the last 15. Unless you meant there has only been 1 draft where 2 were taken in the first round.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
This cant possibly be right, Zietler and Decastro were drafted in the first round this year, and there has been other guards in the last 15. Unless you meant there has only been 1 draft where 2 were taken in the first round.

Maybe it was in the top 20 then...

Sigh. It is tough to be a Bears fan on draft day. I'm almost always disappointed, and when I have been excited, the disappointment usually ends up just being deferred a few years down the road.

I thought with a different regime, it might be different this year. I too am bewildered by the pick, but I'm willing to give Emery and Co. the benefit of the doubt. He's not making that easy, though. I can appreciate that he meant it as a compliment regarding his overall athleticism, but as others have said, Emery's touting of his special teams ability really pissed me off.

This is cruel.

Rutgers WR Mohamed Sanu was the victim of a prank call on the first day of the draft claiming he was drafted by the Bengals.

Agent Mike McCartney took the call, which said Cincinnati selected Sanu at No. 27. McCartney went so far as to post the "news" on Twitter, before the pick was announced as Wisconsin OG Kevin Zeitler. "It was some kid from Rutgers who said his friend got his phone and played a practical joke. He was apologetic," McCartney explained. Sanu is a projected late second- or third-rounder.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
The problem with drafting guards is that most of them are unlikely to be able to play tackle, where as if you draft a tackle, they may be able to play guard.

When you look at the linemen left, there are a good number who could be interesting.

Emery essentially said as much in his pre-draft presser. He felt that this draft was deep with versatile linemen who can play tackle and guard.

There is still a ton of talent in the 2nd round: Cordy Glenn, Coby Fleener, Peter Konz, Janoris Jenkins, Jerel Worthy, Coby Fleener, Jonathan Martin, Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright, Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Kelechi Osemele, Brandon Boykin, Orson Charles, Dwayne Allen...

just got done watching just about every down from Mclellin from 2011 on youtube (the videos are quite nice for alot of draft picks - watched some of mercillus and jones as well...obviously its just the TV angles though)....after watching the tape, 1 concern of mine yesterday has been answered a little bit....

I was worried that this guy was coming from a 3-4, and most teams that liked him were 3-4 teams. After watching the tape, I think the kid plays best when is hand is on the ground...forces him to keep his pad level low. When he was lined up outside in the 3-4, he had a tendency to get high, and had a tough time fighting off blocks. but in the 4-3 out of a 3 point stance the kid has an unreal motor and really gets upfield.

IMO though, this kid is not going to be much of a run defender if he doesnt add bulk. but he definitely looks like the type who is going to get upfield and get after the QB. wouldn't surprise me eventually if the bears have to move peppers to left end and this guy at right end.

I dont think Peppers technically plays either L or R de. Basically Peppers can line up at either side depending on which tackle he thinks he can beat more.

My guess is that the Bears draft a big dt/de type to put in the mix for run downs. They then use McClellin as a back up lb on run downs (or maybe he wins a starting job) and then put him in the mix for DE on rush downs.

Reading the BSU boards they said McClellin sometimes would line up at nickel back, if that is true it shows he has pretty good athleticism. At the end of the day, with how thin the Bears are at LB/DE, it did make sense to pick a guy who can potentially play both.

I just think most Bears fans were somewhat shocked as this is the exact type of player the Bears generally dont draft.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
I dont think Peppers technically plays either L or R de. Basically Peppers can line up at either side depending on which tackle he thinks he can beat more.

My guess is that the Bears draft a big dt/de type to put in the mix for run downs. They then use McClellin as a back up lb on run downs (or maybe he wins a starting job) and then put him in the mix for DE on rush downs.

Reading the BSU boards they said McClellin sometimes would line up at nickel back, if that is true it shows he has pretty good athleticism. At the end of the day, with how thin the Bears are at LB/DE, it did make sense to pick a guy who can potentially play both.

I just think most Bears fans were somewhat shocked as this is the exact type of player the Bears generally dont draft.

Which I am perfectly fine with. Because the type of players we have been drafting along the lines lately haven't been good. We all were begging for change from Jerry Angelo. We got it. And now we're complaining that the change isn't good either.

The way I see it: I'd much rather have my game days be more exciting than my draft days.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)

You don't THINK? The Bears played 16 games last year and every game it was pointed out that Peppers lines up where he damn well pleases. Stop posting such obvious and overly repeated information.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
People keep saying Reiff is a LT, but if the Bears wont put Carimi there, I cant imagine theyd put Reif there.

Carimi:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...1&genpos=OT

Height: 6070

Weight: 314

40 Yrd Dash: 5.18

20 Yrd Dash: 2.80

10 Yrd Dash: 1.78 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29

Vertical Jump: 31 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'01"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

5.02/5.12/5.24 40 range before Combine

Reiff:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...2&genpos=OT

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6056

Weight: 313

40 Yrd Dash: 5.23

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23

Vertical Jump: 26 1/2

Broad Jump: 08'02"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75

3-Cone Drill: 7.87

So lets look at the tape:

Carimi is bigger, Carimi is stronger, Carimi can jump higher, Carimi can jump further, Carimi is faster and Carimi is more agile.

This not including:

2010: 2010 OUTLAND TROPHY WINNER...2010 BIG TEN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE YEAR (COACHES)...Consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection ... Academic All-Big Ten ... Wayne Souza Coaches Appreciation Award (Offense) ... He was a unanimous first team All-American

As compared to Reiff:

2011: First team All-Big Ten by league coaches and media..

So if you wanted Reiff he would have played RT, there is really nothing to suggest hes better than Carimi, besides for the fact he has less accolades and is newer.

I know you love Carimi because he was a badger, but Rieff has been graded out as a start LT in 2013 for whatever reason, its pretty much across the board. The measurables above are great and all, but obviously there is some difference between the two. Reiff would have been the #1 tackle on the board if his arms werent 2 inches shorter than Khalil