2012 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
I've seen two second round mocks that have the Bears taking Allens: SI.com says Jeff (OT; Illinois) and CBS.com says Dwayne (TE; Clemson). I think I'd be happy with Jeff.

I'd be ok with either.

"I can tell you with 100% certainty, that sources close to the situation are saying there is definite interest in a cornerback." I just heard this regarding the Eagles on NFL Network.

That might be the dumbest, and most poorly worded sentence I've ever heard from a "reporter".

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
McClellin presser on CSN Chicago right now or at http://www.csnchicago.com/live_bears

Why is our number 1 pick discussing special teams. If our 1st round draft pick is playing special teams, then the terrorists have already won.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Why is our number 1 pick discussing special teams. If our 1st round draft pick is playing special teams, then the terrorists have already won.

Because he was asked about special teams. I don't understand why this is such a big deal. He was on the kick and punt teams in college. It's another skill he possesses and the Bears would be dumb not to use him there with his versatility. How is that at all a bad thing? It doesn't mean he's going to be a special teamer only.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)

If our 1st round pick plays special teams at all I will find Emery's home on Thanksgiving and s*** on his turkey.

Rock,

Its because last years draft had better graded tackles and therefore perception was Carimi was not a LT (even though he won the Outland at LT.)

Riley Reiff just happens to be a good tackle in a year when the tackle position is down, thus they keep saying he is a LT because thats what teams covet.

The first thing about Reiff that most people dont like is short arms (33 1/4)

Here is the list of last years OT and reach:

9. Tyron Smith, USC Dallas 36 3/8 LT

17. Nate Solder, Colorado New England 35 1/2 TBD

22. Anthony Castonzo, Boston College Indianapolis 34 1/2 LT

25. James Carpenter, Alabama Seattle 34 RT

29. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin Chicago 35 RT

32. Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State Green Bay 35 3/8 TBD

My guess is that if Reiff was in the draft last year he would have probably been behind Carimi and above Sherrod. I just really am not a huge fan of his (Reiff). No one has shown me any reason why Reiff is that great. His measurables arent that great, his accolades arent that great, he just really isnt that impressive.

He could prove me wrong, but who knows

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
You know what other Bears player plays special teams? Julius Peppers.

Yeah, but that's only with the field goal block unit. And he's a rare exception b/c he's great at blocking kicks. If the Bears are talking about McClellin being used in all 4 phases of special teams, then they've screwed up. You never want that out of a 1st round guy. It's like they're already hedging their bets if he sucks b/c they can say "Well, look, he's a great special teamer."

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
Yeah, but that's only with the field goal block unit. And he's a rare exception b/c he's great at blocking kicks. If the Bears are talking about McClellin being used in all 4 phases of special teams, then they've screwed up. You never want that out of a 1st round guy. It's like they're already hedging their bets if he sucks b/c they can say "Well, look, he's a great special teamer."

Or people are making a big deal about nothing. Is it not possible they are just saying he has the ability to play special teams among other things...

I think this is the pick they traded to Miami. I keep wondering why I see CHicago in this spot. Unless we all got it wrong and the Bears had kept the Miami pick. Hill and Martin were two guys I would have really liked but they are gone. I'd even think long and hard about Konz out of Wisconsin, just cause I think he'll be a probowl center.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
I think this is the pick they traded to Miami. I keep wondering why I see CHicago in this spot. Unless we all got it wrong and the Bears had kept the Miami pick. Hill and Martin were two guys I would have really liked but they are gone. I'd even think long and hard about Konz out of Wisconsin, just cause I think he'll be a probowl center.

Hill has all the attributes you want in a WR except for one important one...he can't catch