2012 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
The first round of the nfl no matter where isn't a crapshoot, if you don't draft a solid contributor to your team it's a 100% fail.

All reports actually have the Pats/Packers being extremely interested in Shea. He would not have gotten past either of those teams.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
Uh I trust NE brass a hell of alot more than Chicago and until tonight, NE has drafted pretty much last 4 picks in first round for years crapshot postion.

It's funny you should mention that since NE had a serious boner for McClellin

I'm not sold on this kid, but I don't think the bears seriously overreached for him. Like othesr said here before, Pack or Pats would have taken him as a OLB in the 3-4.

I'm not sure how he's going to fit in a 4-3. Going to give Emery the benefit of the doubt. . . but this was a WTF? move.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
Not at 19 they didn't!

If he turns into a very good player, who gives a s***?

No one wants to give away draft value for free, but if you hit on a solid starter in the 1st round, you've made a good pick, at least once you get outside of the top 8 picks or so.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Not at 19 they didn't!

Now that I've gotten my initial WTF reaction out of the way I can say this doesn't actually mean anything. If he ends up being the pass rusher they think he is, the fact that they drafted him 10 spots earlier than he "should" have been drafted is just about totally irrelevant (the Packers wanted him too, another FO that knows what it's doing). Boise fans are telling me how awesome this guy is for whatever that's worth.

I wanted a big splash and I tend to act like a meathead when they don't take exactly who I want but I've calmed down

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
If Chris Williams was capable of playing LT he would be playing LT period. You dont move a good LT to guard in favor of JaMarcus Webb. They dont even need DeCastro if they wanted to move Chris Williams back to LT, they could easily plug Spencer in at LG. Just because you think he can play LT doesnt mean the Bears have any intention on letting him try anymore. I havent heard ANYTHING from any Bears sources about them wanting to move Williams. But I guess you know more than Mike Tice.

Woah there, its just speculation that doesnt even matter at this point. Williams never failed at LT, he just had the ability to play LG so they put him there, it was broke down by jason over on talkbears. I Think the bears can do a lot of shuffling on that line and can take the best OL available whenever they decide to take one, C, T, or G.

and if youve been following the offseason of the bears it seems like they were targeting an OG more than they were an OT...true story

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
Ugh a first round somewhat tweener from f***ing Boise? Fail. With a starting OT on the board you dont need that pick there. I hate it.

Is Reiff good enough to play left tackle? If not, then whats the point, Carimi has RT. You already used one 1st rounder on a guy who is not a left tackle

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Is Reiff good enough to play left tackle? If not, then whats the point, Carimi has RT. You already used one 1st rounder on a guy who is not a left tackle

Yes he can play LT in the NFL. He played LT and TE at Iowa and has been graded as a LT in the NFL. Just dumb to not try and add an actual starting LT.

Riley Reiff has the size and look of an NFL franchise left tackle.

The former Iowa Hawkeye stands at 6'6", 315 pounds and he knows how to use his frame in pass protection. Reiff is a powerful blocker who can use his exceptional power and explosion to drive defenders away.

Reiff uses his size most effectively when speed rushers try to come in off the edge. He can run them wide of the pocket and does a fantastic job of protecting his quarterback's blind side.

Many offensive tackles have great size, but don't necessarily know how to use it to their advantage.

Riley Reiff does.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Yes he can play LT in the NFL. He played LT and TE at Iowa and has been graded as a LT in the NFL. Just dumb to not try and add an actual starting LT.

Well if that's the case, then they should have taken him. People made it sound like Carimi could be a LT when he was drafted, and Tice has already thrown that out the window, injury or not.

Either way, McClellan (SP? WTF?) better produce right away because Emery is gonna get judged about it from day one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)

Riley Reiff from Iowa should of been the pick IMO. Webb is not a NFL caliber LT, with Cutler getting hurt last year Bears are playing with fire.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Well if that's the case, then they should have taken him. People made it sound like Carimi could be a LT when he was drafted, and Tice has already thrown that out the window, injury or not.

Either way, McClellan (SP? WTF?) better produce right away because Emery is gonna get judged about it from day one.

This looks no different than previous Bears drafts, WTF's all around. You have one of the worst O-lines in the league, your biggest hole being LT and theres a starting one on the board and you take a f***ing tweener from Boise who by all account is weak and didnt dominate a weak conference slate.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
Woah there, its just speculation that doesnt even matter at this point. Williams never failed at LT, he just had the ability to play LG so they put him there, it was broke down by jason over on talkbears. I Think the bears can do a lot of shuffling on that line and can take the best OL available whenever they decide to take one, C, T, or G.

and if youve been following the offseason of the bears it seems like they were targeting an OG more than they were an OT...true story

If Chris Williams could play LT he would be. How did it seem they were targeting guards? Because they signed Rachal? There wasnt much for LT's in FA and Tice likes Webb for whatever reason. Everything youre saying are opinions from people on message boards. My point is, LT is infinitely more important than LG so if you have a player, lets name him Chris Williams, who is a capable LT, you wouldnt move him to LG because he had the "ability" to play it. They moved Williams to LG to salvage his career and he actually did ok there, but to think he wouldnt be playing LT if he was capable of it is pretty ridiculous. If they thought he would be better at LT than Webb hed be playing LT and theyd put someone else at guard and not the other way around, and if they didnt think he was a better LT than Webb then he isnt a good LT.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
Chris Williams is not a tackle. End of story.

took this from the talk bears board

2008: Drafted to play LT. Obviously injured. Fell behind the power curve for the rest of the season.

2009: Was slotted to play LT, but got moved to RT for 11 games when the Bears got Pace. Note the words, "flip-flop positions." Then finished up strong the last five games of at LT after Pace sucked.

Game 1 - Chris Long, 3 tackles, 0 sacks.

Game 2 - Clay Matthews, 5 tackles, 1 sack, multiple penalties (his one bad game)

Game 3 - No DE did well, and only 1 sack was given up (Kelly Gregg, a NT)

Game 4 - Jared Allen, 2 tackles, no sacks.

Game 5 - Cliff Avril, 2 tackles, 1 sack

2010: Started the first two games at LT, did well. Then injured his hamstring. And instead of keeping him at the position he was drafted for, suited for, and starting in, when he returned from injury Tice moved him to LG because he needed Williams, who was probably the Bears best OLineman, to substitute for Garza (who was injured). And to pour salt in the wound, Tice thought the best starting five included Omiyale at LT. This can't be stressed enough. Williams did not lose the LT spot. Tice made a bad decision because he was worried about replacing Garza at LG. Instead of keeping Williams at LT and finding someone to replace Garza, he went the other way. He finished the season at LG (11 games).

2011: Started nine games at LG, got injured vs. the Lions, got placed on IR. Never given a chance at LT.

To recap...

2008 - Injured

2009 - Got screwed because of the Pace signing, ended up replacing Pace

2010 - Started LT, got injured, then got screwed because he was versatile and Garza was injured

2011 - Never given a shot at LT while Webb sucked ass

---------

I'd like to see the bears take the best available OL in the 2nd round

if the draft a tackle you keep Williams at guard, if they draft a guard you move CW to tackle, if they draft a center move garza to guard and CW to OT

Really hoping Zeitler is there and the Oline next year is Williams-Louis-Garza-Zeitler-Carimi

well the bears draft 18th in the second round...

Options that I like that are remaining

Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Jonathon Martin, Bobby Massie, Coby Fleener, Orson Charles, Stephen Hill, Rueben Randle, Alshon Jeffery, Jerel Worthy, Jeff Allen

thats 11 guys...hopefully a couple will still be there at 18