Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
Is he going to win an MVP or get tons of endorsements or make any fans forget about Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura or even Crede and Rowand? No way.

There was at least 1 thread here when he was first signed asking if he could pass Thomas for the team HR mark that I can recall.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
There was at least 1 thread here when he was first signed asking if he could pass Thomas for the team HR mark that I can recall.

I remember posting one of those Passan articles when he first signed, too.

And seeing the quotes/comments/comparisons in this thread, as well.

Never took the passing Frank Thomas thing seriously though, because he seemed to hit too many line drives/doubles.

You could tell from those first videos he wasn't going to be a 30-40 homer type of guy. Not like Cespedes has the potential to be, at least.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
So what's the next thread?

Dick Allen brought it up in the game thread last night.

Alexei Ramirez should be traded because he's PROBABLY older than his official age and by the time we're actually competitive, he will be well past his prime and trending downwards in all aspect of the game...and that maybe his April offensive woes aren't the typical "he'll warm up eventually in the summer months as usual" but the first signs of real decline.

First off I just mentioned his average had been crashing and someone mentioned his April norm. I would bet a lot of money he is older than listed and someday his bad April is going to continue into May and June, ..... I never mentioned a trade.

Obviously guys are going to slump. Look at Pujols.

When Frank Thomas first came up, he pretty much did most his damage the other way. People get excited about young guys with power. There were some on here that thought Josh Fields had 50 HR potential. That was for a season, not a career.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
When Frank Thomas first came up, he pretty much did most his damage the other way.

Same with Beckham.

Although the majority of his homers were to LF, his true "happy spot" was the RCF gap for a double.

Same with Carlos Quentin when he was REALLY going well, actually.

Remember when Brian Anderson hit 2 homers off Felix Hernandez in Seattle?

How many times did KW say that Anderson could put up Torii Hunter numbers if he just played everyday....20-24 homers, 65-85 RBI's?

And no power probably explains why there's probably never been a single thread about Eduardo Escobar, lol.

Even Flowers and Lillibridge get their own uniquely-loyal segments of the fanbase excited.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
Same with Beckham.

Although the majority of his homers were to LF, his true "happy spot" was the RCF gap for a double.

Same with Carlos Quentin when he was REALLY going well, actually.

Remember when Brian Anderson hit 2 homers off Felix Hernandez in Seattle?

How many times did KW say that Anderson could put up Torii Hunter numbers if he just played everyday....20-24 homers, 65-85 RBI's?

And no power probably explains why there's probably never been a single thread about Eduardo Escobar, lol.

Even Flowers and Lillibridge get their own uniquely-loyal segments of the fanbase excited.

Yeah, their parents

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Here's BA's first real article on him as a 19 year old, with a scout rating him as a better hitter than a guy who got a $2 million bonus from the Giants and became their top prospect (Prior to some murder charges).

Here's him getting called a "Top 3 pick".

Here's what his agent was saying about him, in an article written by Joe Cowley:

B, can I get some evaluations of the guy like SINCE HE TURNED PRO. Also, please no more from his agent, that's just silly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
B, can I get some evaluations of the guy like SINCE HE TURNED PRO. Also, please no more from his agent, that's just silly.

You still haven't answered the question.....You said its simple to find sluggling LFs. Name some that would be simple to obtain.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
That disaster cost $56 million. Lots of things are "simple" if you are willing to spend a ton of money on it. Once again, another of your claims proves false.

He's already on the roster. He can play LF.

The question is how long do you wait for Viciedo to hit since anyone can play LF. You might give him more time if he were a LH hitter since those are harder to find.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
He's already on the roster. He can play LF.

The question is how long do you wait for Viciedo to hit since anyone can play LF. You might give him more time if he were a LH hitter since those are harder to find.

That would be in the same vein that I can hit a 95 mile an hour fastball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Wait, he's talking about Dunn playing LF? WTF, really?

B, you think its smart to look at defense in a LF'er when you play 81 games at US Cellular Field? Better yet, what does your WAR say about it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
B, you think its smart to look at defense in a LF'er when you play 81 games at US Cellular Field? Better yet, what does your WAR say about it.

That Adam Dunn was one of the worst fielders in the last decade and belongs no where other than DH.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
That's not the same computer you got the Vlad Guerrero upside from for Viciedo is it?

Yes, and that's still his upside, and I'm really holding back from stooping to your level of pathetic insults in reply here.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)

For a reasonable comparison, for about 2 years, Carlos Quentin was terrible in RF, in no small part because of his injuries. Replacing him with a guy who can catch the ball was a substantial upgrade. Everyone who watched more tahn a couple Sox games over those years saw how much of a weakness it was having Quentin fielding in RF.

Dunn was that bad 8 years ago.