Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Fair enough.

I just don't really subscribe to the "youth" theory...I think once you reach this level of play, it's a matter of getting the reps...more than reaching some magical age.

I think it's going to take a lot of mlb ab's before he possibly reaches his massive potential.

Which is exactly why this is the perfect year to throw him out in LF every day. This team isn't going to win anything this year. Let the kids play and see what the future of this franchise looks like.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/3748/david-ortiz

27 1/2 is the first time he put up really big, 900+ OPS numbers.

His first 4+ years with the Twins, he was at 802, 817, 810, 799 and then 839 at age 26 1/2.

Then you have to consider the fall-off in OPS numbers since the height of the steroids era, that's the equivalent of Viciedo putting up 750-775-800 these next few upcoming years and peaking at ages 26-29.

That's what a rebuilding team HAS to do. Have at least 4-5-6 position guys together in their peak production years.

Except for Marty, nobody's calling for KW's head. We're 29th in MLB attendance right now and extrapolated out at the same pace, we'd end up with the worst attendance figures of the KW Era (2002, just over 1.6 million) and the worst for New Comiskey except for 1998 and 1999.

But I don't see MOST of the fanbase in a panic. The hardcore fans are aware that there's some patience required...and have to look no further than the Northside for evidence of this fact. That parallel project alone gives KW some added breathing room, but it is frustrating because if he had built a consistent winner and a couple of more playoff teams, we'd be a in much better position vis a vis the Cubs than we are now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Except for Marty, nobody's calling for KW's head. We're 29th in MLB attendance right now and extrapolated out at the same pace, we'd end up with the worst attendance figures of the KW Era (2002, just over 1.6 million) and the worst for New Comiskey except for 1998 and 1999.

But I don't see MOST of the fanbase in a panic. The hardcore fans are aware that there's some patience required...and have to look no further than the Northside for evidence of this fact. That parallel project alone gives KW some added breathing room, but it is frustrating because if he had built a consistent winner and a couple of more playoff teams, we'd be a in much better position vis a vis the Cubs than we are now.

I'm calling for KWs head. Its been time to go for a while now, Ozzie acts like a 3 year old, KW acted like he was about 8 in that relationship., but if they didn't can him after last year, I can't see how they would can him no matter what the result this season. You can't cut payroll as much as they did and expect a contender from the GM.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Well you won't see me arguing against him getting the ab's...my argument is simply that I don't like the odds of him ever reaching that potential.

The only way Dayan gets dealt is if this team completely bombs, and it becomes obvious that a full reconstruction needs to be done. Even then there are plenty of guys who will be out the door first, such as Thornton, Danks, and Konerko.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
The only way Dayan gets dealt is if this team completely bombs, and it becomes obvious that a full reconstruction needs to be done. Even then there are plenty of guys who will be out the door first, such as Thornton, Danks, and Konerko.

Hmm...I actually see the possibility of him getting dealt being more tied to the team being in contention.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Hmm...I actually see the possibility of him getting dealt being more tied to the team being in contention.

If by some miracle of god we were able to add at the deadline, we wouldn't be sending players on the 25 roster to do it. Odds are we would be targeting a 3B, and giving up minor league pitching to make it happen. That being said, with the attendance we have had, there is about zero chance of it actually happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
If by some miracle of god we were able to add at the deadline, we wouldn't be sending players on the 25 roster to do it. Odds are we would be targeting a 3B, and giving up minor league pitching to make it happen. That being said, with the attendance we have had, there is about zero chance of it actually happening.

It's May 3rd...the weather has sucked, the team has struggled at home, the Hawks were in the playoffs, now the Bulls are in the playoffs...let's see if they can get on a roll here and see if things improve...

As for Viciedo, besides the fact that he is a favorite of KWs, I don't know how you could rule him out as a trade piece if we were to be in contention...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
It's May 3rd...the weather has sucked, the team has struggled at home, the Hawks were in the playoffs, now the Bulls are in the playoffs...let's see if they can get on a roll here and see if things improve...

As for Viciedo, besides the fact that he is a favorite of KWs, I don't know how you could rule him out as a trade piece if we were to be in contention...

Of course with KW anyone is a trade piece, but unloading a potentially great bat that is under control for up to 5 more years doesn't seem like a very smart move.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Of course with KW anyone is a trade piece, but unloading a potentially great arm that is under control for up to 5 more years doesn't seem like a very smart move.

Hah...Daniel Hudson?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)

The dude is pretty much our top prospect. I know he hasn't got a rookie status anymore, but the reality is that he is still a prospect. He got $10 million, the team is going to see what they have in him.

I know we have the attendance excuses for this year, but between the economy and low expecations after years of failure, the only thing that could get people going is a big winning streak.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Universally panned move, no? I would hope that KW would learn from that mistake rather than repeat it

I agree, I agree...just making the point that if Viciedo was going to be potentially moved...I think it would occur if we had a chance to win rather than if we were absolutely terrible...

Viciedo will be fine. He has been geting better as the season moves along. He was never an "A Prospect" and no scouting report had him being anything more than a 260 hitter with ceiling for 25 HR power. As far as I can tell, that seems about right for him.

Also, Daniel Hudson has been getting shelled this season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
I agree, I agree...just making the point that if Viciedo was going to be potentially moved...I think it would occur if we had a chance to win rather than if we were absolutely terrible...

When doing season deals, Kenny doesn't trade guys who are on the 25 roster for the most part. Especially startesr.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
When doing season deals, Kenny doesn't trade guys who are on the 25 roster for the most part. Especially startesr.

I understand...he always says "I'm not going to take away from what we currently have on the field."

Again, I am not arguing Viciedo will be traded, or that he shouldn't play.

Manto said Viciedo, who went into Friday’s game batting .213 but was 7-for-23 in his last six games, has close to a slump-proof swing because of his bat speed.

‘‘Viciedo’s numbers are definitely deceiving,’’ Manto said. ‘‘He’s a guy we actually enjoy watching at the plate. We can’t wait to get to him. Although his numbers don’t indicate that, his bat speed will never put him in a slump.’’

Viciedo is a free-swinger — he had walked twice while striking out 20 times — but Manto is more than fine watching him take three big hacks every at-bat.

‘‘Every at-bat he has, there’s always one pitch that you think he will hit for a double,’’ Manto said.

www.suntimes.com/sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
Manto said Viciedo, who went into Friday’s game batting .213 but was 7-for-23 in his last six games, has close to a slump-proof swing because of his bat speed.

‘‘Viciedo’s numbers are definitely deceiving,’’ Manto said. ‘‘He’s a guy we actually enjoy watching at the plate. We can’t wait to get to him. Although his numbers don’t indicate that, his bat speed will never put him in a slump.’’

Viciedo is a free-swinger — he had walked twice while striking out 20 times — but Manto is more than fine watching him take three big hacks every at-bat.

‘‘Every at-bat he has, there’s always one pitch that you think he will hit for a double,’’ Manto said.

www.suntimes.com/sports

That made me chuckle because of what it might say for the other guys.

• 2 weeks later...