Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
We are giddy over one good game from Viciedo. Granted sometimes one good game is what it takes to get them on a roll. Let''s hope this is a posiitve thing and we see more of it

Seeing positive stuff from Tank

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I hope I'm proven wrong. Unlike some of you, I have been wrong before.

It's not the rightness or wrongness that makes me want to call things like this out. It's the impatience. Everybody in their right mind knows you give a 23 year-old, notoriously slow starter with high upside more than a month before you call for his removal. I don't care if you're in win-now mode or not, you still give Viciedo a shot.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Yeah, we need to make room for all the stud hitters coming up through our system.

There's nothing saying we can't move him for another hitter...there's nothing saying we can't move him for SP which allows us to move another P for a hitter.

People need to stop thinking about our assets in such a limited fashion. The goal if you want it to be, can often times be about maximizing the value of your assets...if that means trading one of them while it is at peak value, then so be it.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Why would you trade Dayan Viciedo? The best you could hope for is a Viciedo-in-waiting.

Exactly, and besides our season of trading assets for pitching prospects was this PAST offseason - whether it works out or not will (and should) determine KW's fate, but it must be given time. Our biggest mess to clean up at this juncture is the offense, and DV could go a long way toward solving this.

If Danks pulls his head out of it and Peavy comes back on a discount (big ifs I know), we really don't have a lot of pitching issues. If Peavy goes, that's a lot of coin in the till.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
There's nothing saying we can't move him for another hitter...there's nothing saying we can't move him for SP which allows us to move another P for a hitter.

People need to stop thinking about our assets in such a limited fashion. The goal if you want it to be, can often times be about maximizing the value of your assets...if that means trading one of them while it is at peak value, then so be it.

This is the truth.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
This is the truth.

Well, of course all scenarios be should be considered, but the bolded above is the key - How in the HELL do we know what a 23 yo's peak value will be when he could easily be on his way to super-stardom, or irrelevance? Trading him on his first hot-streak will NOT bring the return we seek, and COULD severely limit the upside realized. Given that we have him under control for a good while, t'would be foolhearty, IMO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)

If the Sox were to "Win" both of those deals, to get back more than they sent out, that'd be great.

But that's very rarely been our M.O. We've been overpaying to fill positions of need.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Well, of course all scenarios be should be considered, but the bolded above is the key - How in the HELL do we know what a 23 yo's peak value will be when he could easily be on his way to super-stardom, or irrelevance? Trading him on his first hot-streak will NOT bring the return we seek, and COULD severely limit the upside realized. Given that we have him under control for a good while, t'would be foolhearty, IMO.

It wouldn't be his first hot streak..he does it every year...he did it in 2010 when we were rounding out that 26-5 streak or whatever it was...

I don't mean to imply I don't think Dayan can be a good major league player, and I certainly don't mean to imply that I would be disappointed were he to remain with the White Sox. Heck, I hope I'm wrong, because I really think Kenny loves him and won't move him.

That being the case, I just don't think his aggressive nature and his particular swing sets him up for consistent success in the Major Leagues. I think he's always going to be a guy that goes on runs where he shows incredible power, but he'll also be the guy that hovers around .300 with his OBP...and even if he does hit for tremendous power, when you make that many outs, it's tough to be putting up an OPS much over .800. NOW, there is not necessarily anything wrong with that, but it's just not as valuable an asset as one would think when it's a guy that isn't particularly fast.

If he can put up an OPB above .350, however, then all bets are off. I just don't think he will.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
It's not the rightness or wrongness that makes me want to call things like this out. It's the impatience. Everybody in their right mind knows you give a 23 year-old, notoriously slow starter with high upside more than a month before you call for his removal. I don't care if you're in win-now mode or not, you still give Viciedo a shot.

Thank you. This is a 23 year old with 210 career at-bats. What you see now is not what you'll be getting in the future. The kid is talented as f*** and will only get better with time.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
I don't think we've seen what DV is capable of yet, not at any level. It will be beautiful when we see it, though.

What makes you say this? Didn't he top out (only) in the 30's in BA's prospect lists? Who are guys who did that and had similar minor league numbers as Viciedo and became perrenial All-Stars? Interestingly, Magglio did put up similar minor league stats as Viciedo. Of course, Maggs might have had some help putting up those Major League numbers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Thank you. This is a 23 year old with 210 career at-bats. What you see now is not what you'll be getting in the future. The kid is talented as f*** and will only get better with time.

Agreed. His bat speed is special and his pitch recognition is improving. The inpatience around here can be laughable. He is 23 and has a ton of potential. He is the last guy to consider trading.