Viciedo Not Worth The Wait

Marty34

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
It clearly wasn't the same Manny Ramirez, and clearly wasn't going to be the same Manny Ramirez.

If they had the money, which they obviously did, it was worth the risk. There was a decent chance one of the best hitters in the history of the game might have another couple months left in him. His OPS was still over .900 for an extended period that same year.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
If they had the money, which they obviously did, it was worth the risk. There was a decent chance one of the best hitters in the history of the game might have another couple months left in him. His OPS was still over .900 for an extended period that same year.

Its money that could have been spent more wisely on something that could actually help the Sox win. For a team that is always saying they are at their limit or their budget is stretched beyond their limit, it was curious spending $4 million on a guy with Manny's character and recent history. A really poor choice.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Its money that could have been spent more wisely on something that could actually help the Sox win. For a team that is always saying they are at their limit or their budget is stretched beyond their limit, it was curious spending $4 million on a guy with Manny's character and recent history. A really poor choice.

His recent baseball history was still pretty good, including that .915 OPS. I understand the character issues.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
Most baseball fans overestimate the usefulness of steroids.

Have you watched the last 2 decades of baseball at all?

2 different 30/30 hitters multiplied by 1.5 in size and hit 60-75 HR a year for a 5 year stretch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)

2 different 30/30 hitters multiplied by 1.5 in size and hit 60-75 HR a year for a 5 year stretch.

Thought that was due to Flintstone vitamins....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)

I didn't mean to argue that they are ineffective, trust me I know what they do. They affected the game and still do. Baseball fans tend to think that certain players are competely ineffective vs all-star minus steroid use...I don't think that's true. There are possible exceptions but generally speaking.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
I didn't mean to argue that they are ineffective, trust me I know what they do. They affected the game and still do. Baseball fans tend to think that certain players are competely ineffective vs all-star minus steroid use...I don't think that's true. There are possible exceptions but generally speaking.

Frankly, I think that might be the case for the worst abusers.

I'm not sure Giambi, Palmeiro are ever all-stars without them.

That homerun yesterday went up and just carried and carried.

I actually liked his first at bat better though. Dempster had him swinging at two high fastballs and he shortened up and hit the ball where it was pitched. He wasn't swinging to put it on waveland, he was just trying to get the runner in.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 20, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
That homerun yesterday went up and just carried and carried.

I actually liked his first at bat better though. Dempster had him swinging at two high fastballs and he shortened up and hit the ball where it was pitched. He wasn't swinging to put it on waveland, he was just trying to get the runner in.

I was most impressed with his at bat two days ago -- because he hit a fastball, took it to RF on a line. It's no secret that DV pounds breaking balls in the zone, but he has struggled with the heat. If he just takes it to RF, they have to throw him breaking balls. Seems like he's getting better at laying off the low and away breakers, but this is of course something every righty will fall prey to now and then.

I will feel really optimistic about DV when I see him getting more hits on fastballs. For now he is at least covering most of them, fouling them off, and getting to the breaking stuff. Needs to keep racking up fastball hits to get out of Josh Fields land.